Chinese “Weather Balloon” Enters US Air Space

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

The object flew over Alaska's Aleutian Islands and through Canada before appearing over the city of Billings in Montana on Wednesday, according to officials.

Montana is home to some of the US's nuclear missile silos.

Hmmmm.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I am curious how many dum dums have been trying to shoot at it...

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Several Republicans have encouraged their constituents to shoot it down already.
Yup

I've seen plenty of posts of people saying they were going to shoot at it or people encouraging people to shoot at it like a bullet doesn't have to obey the laws of physics and could possibly get anywhere even NEAR that balloon...

I haven't heard/seen of anyone actually taking shots at it but it does feel like it's just a matter of time before some "DON'T TREAD ON ME" 2nd Amendment Dipshit who demonstrates they have no right to own a gun gives it a...shot :cool:

On the plus side, someone that incredibly stupid will almost certainly post it on social media for the police to see

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Fair's fair, I just googled the weather in China and it's there for all to see (-4C!). It doesn't seem unreasonable that China should be able to do the same.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Mysterious instances of bullets falling out of the sky from nowhere and killing people, sorry we have no idea how that happened,
but it wouldn't happen if we had more guns to defend ourselves.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Is it still technically their property once it's invaded another country's airspace?
Can't US just legally take ownership of it now?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
On the one hand: I'm 100% certain it's not a meteorological observatory balloon, and that its there to spy on infrastructure/ military shit.

On the other (more important) hand: this kind of spying is not unusual. This particular vehicle might be unusual, but... to pretend spying on infrastructure/military capabilities is some red line being crossed? Its not. The US, China, and Russia do it all the time (as do quite a few other powers, but those three are by a long way the biggest culprits). For the US to act as if some red line is being crossed, while they're actively spying on the equivalent forces in dozens of other countries, is moronic.

Reactions: BrawlMan

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
one of them finally hit it. oh well.
TBF, if any dum dum IS going to take a shot at the balloon, I'd rather it be the government dum dums instead of some yokel who thinks that his 9mm pistol will get anywhere even close to the thing