Chinese Gamer Gives New Meaning to "Big Screen"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Chinese Gamer Gives New Meaning to "Big Screen"

[mmosite=c291dGhlYXN0X2FzaWFuX2dhbWVzX3ZpZGVvLzEwMDAwMHJtYl9mb3JfcGxhXzEwbWluX29uX2JpZ19zY3JfaW5fYXNpLmZsdnwxNTM1OHw1NTl8L3dlYmRhdGEvaW1hZ2UvMjAxMC8xMS8yMy8xMjkwNTAxMDkzLmpwZ3wwfHdtdg]​
An evidently wealthy gamer in China dropped an estimated $15,000 to play a MMO on the biggest LED screen in Asia, one that measures 820 feet from end to end.

An unnamed Chinese gamer who apparently can't find enough things to do with his money decided to blow some of it playing an MMO on the giant LED screen that makes up the ceiling of "The Place [http://www.theplace.cn/]" shopping center in Beijing. It's the largest LED screen Asia, 250 meters long by 30 meters wide, which works out to a gargantuan 7500 square meters, or for our metrically-challenged readers, nearly 81,000 square feet. The screen is normally used to display a gigantic virtual aquarium and video feeds from live events.

Using the ceiling of a shopping mall for your own personal online gaming isn't cheap and "insiders" suggested the experience "might cost" as much as ¥100,000, which works out to a little over $15,000. And what could possibly drive someone to drop that kind of coin on one night of gaming on a screen bigger than a football field? Word on the street is that the man in question is a guild leader in the Chinese MMO Magic World Online 2 [http://m2.sdo.com/] and was feeling a little screen envy after the head of a competing guild played the game in an IMAX theater.

It's impressive, I suppose, in a conspicuously consumerish way, but it sure doesn't look very comfortable.

Source: DVice [http://news.mmosite.com/content/2010-11-23/crazy_gamer_played_mmo_on_7500_square_meters_led.shtml]

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Looks like he's playing WoW tbh, if not then that Magic World Online game has an eerily similar UI.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
On one hand: That sounds like a complete waste of money
On the other hand: I'll be damned if, if given the money, I wouldn't do the exact same thing

MarcFirewing

Sep 17, 2010
Mr. Omega said:
On one hand: That sounds like a complete waste of money
On the other hand: I'll be damned if, if given the money, I wouldn't do the exact same thing
This pretty much explains my response.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
....seriously..."Metrically-challenged"? I can't help but feel slightly offended. But it also gave the realization that it's not the schools fault, I should go on Wikipedia and learn it myself.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Whhhhhhhhaaaaaaatttttt?!

I always thought swimming pools should have screens liek that above the water, so when im relaxing i can just float & chill.

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
I would spend the money to buy a plane ticket to China... and choke this guy for such a lavish waste of money.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wow talking about boosting your ego. Now only his character is bigger but having everyone in the shoopping centre watching you playing it certainly add up to it (I wonder if there was leet players in the area when he started playing).

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
Let's hope all the starving and oppressed people in China can at least watch him play. Maybe he can let them push the hot keys; or farm gold and grind for him!

infernovolver

Jun 11, 2008
That is ridiculous. That looks both uncomfortable and grossly over indulgent. But 15,000$? Is china's currency not grossly inflated like ours? I thought a giant LED screen would cost more than just 15,000$. o.o

captainwalrus

Jul 25, 2008
infernovolver said:
That is ridiculous. That looks both uncomfortable and grossly over indulgent. But 15,000$? Is china's currency not grossly inflated like ours? I thought a giant LED screen would cost more than just 15,000$. o.o
The screen didn't cost $15,000. It cost that much for the guy to play an MMO on the screen.

infernovolver

Jun 11, 2008
Sauvastika said:
infernovolver said:
The screen didn't cost $15,000. It cost that much for the guy to play an MMO on the screen.
Ah. I wonder for how long.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
To be honest, fair play to the guy. Hes obviously a huge fan of the game, has the wealth to spend and the time to spend it in. He does look pretty uncomfortable but I think thats a small price to pay for having an entire shopping centre and viewers of the video on the net watching him play.

On top of that, in that games community he will now have achieved the title, "That guy". :D