Chinese Mobile Game Legend of Titan is a Blatant Overwatch Clone

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Chinese Mobile Game Legend of Titan is a Blatant Overwatch Clone

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1330/1330069.jpgThere are rip-offs, and then there's this Chinese mobile game's direct copy of Overwatch. But it's not as bad as you might think.

Given the success that Overwatch has had so far, it shouldn't come as a surprise that people are trying to emulate it. After all, the game industry is full of games that have followed in the footsteps of successful titles that have come before. Borrowing ideas from successful games is one thing, but a one Chinese mobile developer looks to be taking things just a bit too far.

Called Legend of Titan, it not only emulates the game, it looks almost exactly like it, albeit in lower resolution. It's so blatant that it almost looks like they even used Blizzard's assets. Check out this trailer:

Pretty bad, right? But it turns out that it's not actually a game that's for sale, or so the developer claims. According to this Reddit translation [https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4o0rdx/this_mobile_game_looks_familiar_somehow/d48uisp], the developer made it as a tech demo, and has no plans to publish it.

That makes a lot more sense, because at first glance, you would be forgiven for thinking that there were some serious shenanigans going on here.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
It's fine, just have one person on the Legend of Titan dev team use the Overwatch models in a 3rd party mod to get complete legal rights to them, that still works, right?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Damn I didn't think Blizzard could be bested by a Chinese Mobile dev, especially so soon, but here we have it.
It has no lootbox microtransactions. 10/10. Better than Overwatch.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Tech demo or no, they can still be sued by Blizzard Entertainment for what is clearly asset theft for use in a business advertisement or product.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I don't seen to notice anything different about Widowmaker in the rip off, look like the same thing to me? At least with Bastion, it look different in cannon mode.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
It's not stealing if you break it into an undesirably inferior transformation first.
...right?

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Legal issues aside, it is actually pretty impressive for a mobile game made by a small developer this soon after the release of the game.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Deathfish15 said:
Tech demo or no, they can still be sued by Blizzard Entertainment for what is clearly asset theft for use in a business advertisement or product.
I believe in China you can pretty much copyright infringe without any consequences.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
hermes said:
Legal issues aside, it is actually pretty impressive for a mobile game made by a small developer this soon after the release of the game.
Don't forget that there have been beta tests going on since October of last year.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
Deathfish15 said:
RaikuFA said:
I believe in China you can pretty much copyright infringe without any consequences.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
China is full of such games. I remember watching a video on YouTube about their blatant copies of popular games. It was hilarious.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I find it funny how they gave all the characters a new look but with Widowmaker they just went "Ah, fuck it."

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
I find it funny how they gave all the characters a new look but with Widowmaker they just went "Ah, fuck it."
Widowmaker AND Bastion.

I get the feeling that the "dev" got called out on this and they just back-pedalled and went "Oh no no, I didn't plan on releasing this as a game."

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
So is Overwatch Ripoff going to be a term that I hear alot lately for colorful shooters from now on just like everyone was calling Terraria a minecraft ripoff despite all details. I better buckle up for all of this but yeah this game seems like a blatant copy

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
As funny as it is, its also pretty sad. If you ask nearly military, economic or honest anthropologist; this is what Chinese society has been reduced to. China has basically been rendered incapable of inventing or creating anything. Almost every facet of their society from infrastructure, consumer goods, military equipment and tactics etc. is a blatant and cheap rip-off of Western and Russian ideas, concepts and goods.

Its why everything is so shitty in China; their engineers, designers, technicians etc. don't actually understand or know the process and methods or how to actually make things or what they're doing. They're copying and interpreting from things they see/stole from other countries. The ones that do get lost in the bureaucratic processes or actually get into trouble with the ruling party because the kind of knowledge that it takes to understand this kinds of things also tends to bring with it the question and doubt about the current system that gets people "disappeared".

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Paragon Fury said:
As funny as it is, its also pretty sad. If you ask nearly military, economic or honest anthropologist; this is what Chinese society has been reduced to. China has basically been rendered incapable of inventing or creating anything. Almost every facet of their society from infrastructure, consumer goods, military equipment and tactics etc. is a blatant and cheap rip-off of Western and Russian ideas, concepts and goods.

Its why everything is so shitty in China; their engineers, designers, technicians etc. don't actually understand or know the process and methods or how to actually make things or what they're doing. They're copying and interpreting from things they see/stole from other countries. The ones that do get lost in the bureaucratic processes or actually get into trouble with the ruling party because the kind of knowledge that it takes to understand this kinds of things also tends to bring with it the question and doubt about the current system that gets people "disappeared".
And the above is why China's official stance on any lawsuit regarding Copyright Infringement is as follows:

"Go fuck yourself."

:D

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
kenu12345 said:
So is Overwatch Ripoff going to be a term that I hear alot lately for colorful shooters from now on just like everyone was calling Terraria a minecraft ripoff despite all details. I better buckle up for all of this but yeah this game seems like a blatant copy
Yeah, Battleborn was the first one to receive such title, even though it was released before Overwatch. I do wonder if Paragon and Paladins are gonna be called Overwatch ripoffs when they release.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Igor-Rowan said:
kenu12345 said:
Yeah, Battleborn was the first one to receive such title, even though it was released before Overwatch. I do wonder if Paragon and Paladins are gonna be called Overwatch ripoffs when they release.
Most likely, when games become insanely popular its sort of a trend to start calling everything even remotely similar clones hence the terraria example earlier even though I am pretty sure the two were being developed before either knew of the other's existence