Chinese Officials Prevent Suicide With Butter

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
you forgot the rest of the quote.

"The would be attention seekers are then tossed off the bridge, because they dishonor the motherland"

riskroWe

May 12, 2009
I thought the chinese would be encouraging suicide, y'know with overpopulation and all.

CompanionCube

Aug 5, 2008
Person 1: I can't believe they would make such a stupid plan
Person 2: I can't believe it's not butter!

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
warbaloon said:
love me some funeral humor

and asians

"and we put up special fences and notices asking people not to commit suicide here"-from the source article
Like the signs on the Golden Gate Bridge? "Jumping from this bridge has serious and fatal consequences."

Srkkl

Apr 1, 2009
What next? They cover it with bannana peels, have a constant 3 stooges music playing?

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Radelaide said:
warbaloon said:

and asians

"and we put up special fences and notices asking people not to commit suicide here"-from the source article
Like the signs on the Golden Gate Bridge? "Jumping from this bridge has serious and fatal consequences."
The mind boggles that we live in an age where somebody thought that sign was necessary, and the sad part is they were probably right. My new cell phone's manual lists, on the very first page no less(!), the warning "Do not put your cell phone into a microwave oven."

We are obviously doomed as a species.

Jerich0

Aug 11, 2009
what if a very fat man wanted to jump?

couldn't he just lick the butter off as he went?

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Radelaide said:
warbaloon said:

and asians

The mind boggles that we live in an age where somebody thought that sign was necessary, and the sad part is they were probably right. My new cell phone's manual lists, on the very first page no less(!), the warning "Do not put your cell phone into a microwave oven."

We are obviously doomed as a species.
I'd bet that the city only put that sign on the bridge because some fool jumped off and survived and then sued the city for the lack of warning on the bridge for his foolish stunt. Then he won the case or the city settled to shut him up.

[edit]
I found an in-dept article about Golden gate jumpers who survived! http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2003/10/13/031013fa_fact

"Dr. Richard Seiden, a professor emeritus at the University of California at Berkeley?s School of Public Health and the leading researcher on suicide at the bridge, has written that studies reveal ?a commonly held attitude that romanticizes suicide from the Golden Gate Bridge in such terms as aesthetically pleasing and beautiful, while regarding a Bay Bridge suicide as tacky.?
= Fashion-crazy, romantic, attention-seeking suicidal people tend to use the Golden gate Bridge.

[edit2]
I actually found it! In the article, page 3 and near the end it talks about a mother who sued the Golden Gate Bridge District bridge?s board of directors, seeking to require them to put up a barrier.
"Furthermore, the reply says, ?plaintiffs cannot show that Ms. Imrie used the property with due care for the purposes it was designed.?

... by 1995 over 1000 people have died by jumping that bridge! Right now, they have a non physical barrier which is basically round the clock cameras and guard patrols. Which is apparently cheaper than putting up a bigger fence!

Spaghetti

Goes Well With Pesto
Sep 2, 2009
That's made my day. I'm trying to think of a "I can't believe it's not butter" joke...but I've got nothing

Talyn.Co

Jun 3, 2009
Disaster Button said:
nerdsamwich said:
I'd use machine grease, myself, but this is a great idea.
Disaster Button said:
Lol they actually called suicidal people "attention seekers" I'm surprised that went down well. Or at all.

But my god that plan is hilarious.
The thing here is, most people who try to kill themselves are attention seekers. Especially the ones who do it in public. If all they wanted was to die, they'd do it at home, by a method that is sure to work, like taking rat poison while hanging yourself after cutting your wrists.
Yeah I guess thats true I guess, still funny though. The butter thing, not the suicide thing.. Although, I'm imagining some gameshow style scene with people trying to run up to the ledge and jump but sliding down before they get there.... Yeah, I'm kinda sleep deprived >.>
I doubt anyone WANTS to commit suicide, who would chose it if they had a better option? I don't think seeking attention is a bad thing in this kind of situation. Heck the person NEEDS it.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Knonsense said:
It is stupid, but so is suicide in general. And it's not an uncommmon concern. Some girl at my school threw herself in front of a train, and she didn't get any kind of memorial service at the school because they don't want to encourage that sort of behavior.
Instead they encourage the behaviour where we shouldn't give a shit about people who have such a mental and emotional disease. Maybe we should just throw them all in front of a train, is that what they are saying? Do yourself a favor, get out of that school asap.