Chinese scientist edited monkey genome with human brain gene

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Gethsemani said:
Sort of. They changed the mechanic so that you could change if a race would be allowed to reproduce at all and you can manually set which race should be produced on any given planet. The problem was that the latter led to a ton of micromanagement if you wanted a particular mix of races on a planet (say 30/70 Overlord race and Slave race). At least you don't have to see your empire's economy go down the drain anymore because the game was insistent on populating desert worlds with arctic world species.
Meh. The last thing Stellaris needed was more micromanagement. I mostly liked the concept of the update months back with consumer goods and so on, except that it substantially added to the management burden in a not particularly enjoyable fashion.

I get the rationale, to see that minority races don't just get swamped to almost nothingness. But it was incredibly, stupidly extreme. The minute I admitted a new species, the pop growth on pretty much every single planet became the newly arrived species for a decade or two (assuming same habitability). One of the annoying things, of course, is that you pick your starter species because you want its characteristics - signing a migration treaty shouldn't be signing up to the massive outbreeding of the species you handpicked by others.

Also, do those pop mechanics work for everyone? When I last played, the irony was that as a democracy, I wasn't allowed pop controls, yet the devs had created one for me: effectively they had banned my starter species from breeding for decades at a time with one, ill-considered algorithm.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
davidmc1158 said:
I, for one, am looking forward to living in the mutant animal After the Bomb universe.

http://palladium-store.com/1001/product/503-After-the-Bomb-RPG.html

Who couldn't do with some teenage mutant ninja turtles, after all?
Nice to know I'm not the only person who has heard of those games!

Catfood220 said:
CrazyGirl17 said:
Well this has potential to go horribly wrong... has no one seen the Planet of the Apes reboot movies?!
Pfft, so much negativity. I choose to see it like this.

Touche. (Golf claps)

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
skywolfblue said:
If we take that into our own hands and start manufacturing our own species by the thousands, that biodiversity that served as a shield will disappear.

So if a pack of super-smart monkeys escapes the lab, out competes the other monkeys in the wild, all the other monkeys die.
Eh, us proper super-monkeys are already out competing everything else. A lesser breed of super-monkeys isn't that big of a problem if we cause the disaster first. And we will.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
skywolfblue said:
So if a pack of super-smart monkeys escapes the lab, out competes the other monkeys in the wild, all the other monkeys die. Then along comes a virus, and since all the lab monkeys have the same genetics, none of them have immunity, they ALL die.
Theoretically they already could do that with CRISPR. Just edit the eg Ebola genome to give it near flawless infection and lethality rate. That's what I think is scary of CRISPR that it's eventually used for nefarious purposes as it doesn't require million dollar labs or access to elusive chemicals or fissile materials just someone with the proper skill set and a petri dish.

That they can now re-arrange the DNA sequence with CRISPR genome-editing also opens the way for humans to be genetically engineered in-vivo with any kind of feature or trait(or lack thereof). I believe the only reason they're still refraining from therapeutical applications is off-target mutations. But still, like I said one other Chinese scientist claimed to have edited the genome of a HIV baby twin with CRISPR and effectively removed susceptibility for the virus carried over from the mother. Similarly they could edit the genome of embryos where there is increased risk of heritable cancers or other serious diseases.

So yeah, as a tool for therapeutic applications ofcourse CRISPR is invaluable but at the same time it can be used to genetically engineer pretty much anything. Case in point this monkey.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Realistically, how close are we to genetically engineered catgirls? You know. Just asking.
A century from now. In the meantime, there will probably be sex dolls dressed as anime catgirls.

Apr 17, 2009
Through dubious means I have acquired images of these new super smart apes!

...look, everyone else went straight for the Planet of the Apes references, I had to do something different

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
undeadsuitor said:
We were so concerned about the robot uprising we never realize what will truly end us

Robots created by apes
I wouldn't worry about that. Whistles inconspicuously

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Next thing you know, someone is going to start fucking around with sharks and we'll lose national treasure Sammy J.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Marik2 said:
It's obvious that China is trying to make ape super soldiers.
More likely, kung-fu pandas.