Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Runs at 60 FPS on PS4, 30 FPS on Xbox One

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Runs at 60 FPS on PS4, 30 FPS on Xbox One

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/ChivalryGame/status/671711173872631808]
Here's another one for the great framerate wars.

In a move that is starting to become the standard, Torn Banner Studios has confirmed that its upcoming console port of first-person-slasher Chivalry: Medieval Warfare will run at a lower framerate on the Xbox One. The game will run at 60 FPS on the PS4, but just 30 FPS on the Xbox One, meaning if you own both systems (for some reason) then the PS4 would probably be the one to buy it on.

The console port of the game launches this week, and as well as all of the content currently included in the PC version, will have a new "Horde mode" where you fight off skeletons and other monsters with your friends. The game's multiplayer versus modes will also have their max player count doubled from the PS3 and Xbox 360's 12 players, to 24 players. It will also use dedicated servers like the PC version.

In an interview with WCCF Tech [http://wccftech.com/chivalry-medieval-warfare-runs-at-1080p60-on-ps4-1080p30-on-xb1/], Torn Banner confirmed that mods and custom maps will not be making their way to the console versions due to "legal reasons".

It's a shame that games keep being downgraded for the Xbox One, but I suppose Microsoft shot itself in the foot when it decided to make a weaker machine (performance wise) than Sony's offering. It is, however, worrying that a game originally released back in 2012 is struggling to hit a solid 60 FPS on a console that was only released two years ago...

You can pick the game up for $19.99 from Microsoft and Sony's respective digital stores.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-12-01-chivalry-medieval-warfare-is-60-fps-on-ps4-but-30-on-xbox-one]

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
If I had to guess its that they didn't optimize it very well and the extra power from the PS4 was able to power through the problem while the Xbox One wasn't able to.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
For shame! Throwing out the bait to the piranhas of internet..."debate." I am keeping a dubiously healthy distance from this one, but don't think i'm not onto you! ;)

Broslinger

Jul 4, 2015
Well one tub of shit that play a game better than the other tub of shit. Great. Just buy a PC and run everything at 60fps or more.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Own both for some reason?

Am I the weird one in this conversation because I generally get both systems eventually. Granted, I usually start with one (Xbox One/360/PS2 respectively) but I do eventually get the other system as well...

I just kind of figured that was standard.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
tippy2k2 said:

Am I the weird one in this conversation because I generally get both systems eventually. Granted, I usually start with one (Xbox One/360/PS2 respectively) but I do eventually get the other system as well...

Back in the old days (thinking PS2/n64/snes) era this made a lot of sense, as there were very few multi platform titles and a lot of the games were exclusive.

These days it's just a waste to own both systems. There are maybe a handful of exclusives, and the systems are functionally identical. I'm sure there are people out there who do want to play all the exclusives, but I would wager the vast majority would get one system and stick with it.

Only exception is the PC and the Wii U, though, which both have a large enough exclusive library to warrant a separate purchase.

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
tippy2k2 said:

Back in the old days (thinking PS2/n64/snes) era this made a lot of sense, as there were very few multi platform titles and a lot of the games were exclusive.

These days it's just a waste to own both systems. There are maybe a handful of exclusives, and the systems are functionally identical. I'm sure there are people out there who do want to play all the exclusives, but I would wager the vast majority would get one system and stick with it.

Only exception is the PC and the Wii U, though, which both have a large enough exclusive library to warrant a separate purchase.
I would argue that it does make sense, but it's not reasonable at the launch and early years of a console, loke right now with xbone and ps4. I would say having both ps3 and 360 would be understandable, as they've both built up a pretty good range of exclusives.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
ChaplainOrion said:
Steven Bogos said:
tippy2k2 said:

I would argue that it does make sense, but it's not reasonable at the launch and early years of a console, loke right now with xbone and ps4. I would say having both ps3 and 360 would be understandable, as they've both built up a pretty good range of exclusives.
Actually the knock against the Xbox One is that so many of their exclusives have been hitting the PC 8 months after release that it makes the PS4 the more attractive console of the two. The PS consoles usually also have more sleeper hits become major franchises in the vein of Demon's Souls to Dark Souls.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
im looking forward to sticking my swords and arrows into those newcoming peasants. and they will even be wearing a texture of actual peasants!

but no, seriuosly, welcome to the big league, lets hope it wont be as bad as TF2 was where close range battles looked more like a dance than a battle.

shintakie10 said:
If I had to guess its that they didn't optimize it very well and the extra power from the PS4 was able to power through the problem while the Xbox One wasn't able to.
if i had to guess the Xbox is just shit.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well at least they are honest about it, lesser minds would come up with some "so cinematic" bullshit.

Still would prefer console games come in higher and lower quality mode to at the very least have a 60FPS option(or more) for the player to decide. After 40 years of console gaming history this shouldn't be that difficult, especially working right next to the platform that solved this shit 40 years ago.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
shintakie10 said:
The PS4 uses GDDR5 RAM for it's shared memory (system/GPU), the Xbox One uses the slower DDR3 for shared memory. The PS4 has a little lower CPU clock frequency. The PS4 has 50% more GPU "units" than the Xbox One.

There is a reason why the PS4 is better on the hardware front.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I'm not surprised. The PS4 is supposed to be 50% more powerful than the XBO. But I'm not sure why Chivalry is that demanding. I've been enjoying it on the PC for a couple years now and I've never thought it was that bad.

Smooth Operator said:
Well at least they are honest about it, lesser minds would come up with some "so cinematic" bullshit.

Still would prefer console games come in higher and lower quality mode to at the very least have a 60FPS option(or more) for the player to decide. After 40 years of console gaming history this shouldn't be that difficult, especially working right next to the platform that solved this shit 40 years ago.
While that would be a good idea, keeping the framerate the same in a competitive game means people who figure out how to downgrade their graphics don't have any unfair advantages that higher framerates may offer in response times.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
shintakie10 said:
Both the ps4 and xbone run on an old budget netbook/ tablet cpu. If they didn't do an amazing amount of optimisation the game wouldn't run at all. Usually mutliplatform games try to not do anything that requires more than very little cpu. This was not planned as multiplatform so no such limitations were kept in mind.
My guess is that the more intense os of the xbox took up two many resources. Even if it and the weaker hardware cause it to be around 50 fps devs lock the game to either 30 or 60 fps on consoles.
So this doesnt mean the xbox can only output half the frames or anything. it just can't maintain 60.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
GiantRedButton said:
shintakie10 said:
Both the ps4 and xbone run on an old budget netbook/ tablet cpu. If they didn't do an amazing amount of optimisation the game wouldn't run at all. Usually mutliplatform games try to not do anything that requires more than very little cpu. This was not planned as multiplatform so no such limitations were kept in mind.
My guess is that the more intense os of the xbox took up two many resources. Even if it and the weaker hardware cause it to be around 50 fps devs lock the game to either 30 or 60 fps on consoles.
So this doesnt mean the xbox can only output half the frames or anything. it just can't maintain 60.
Except that modern computing doesn't rely on CPUs as anything more than a glorified switchboard operator with the vast majority of work going to the RAM and Video card. The most important thing about modern CPUs is really the number of cores they have so they can handle multiple threads directing things at the same time.

Any time your CPU starts spiking, something is wrong. Either you've maxed out your other resources or what you're using has been incredibly poorly optimized.

If you want to talk shit about the consoles from an experienced tech perspective, complain about their video cards, not their CPUs.