Chris Evans Signed for Six Marvel Films

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Chris Evans Signed for Six Marvel Films

Captain America-actor Chris Evans has revealed that he's contracted to make a total of six Marvel movies.

It's been nearly two years since <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/5674-Avengers>The Avengers first hit theaters and it's still hard to believe that Marvel and Disney pulled it off. A team-up film featuring heroes from different movie franchises all connected by a consistent and developing universe? And it actually worked? When it comes to film making that's about as close as you get to a miracle. That being the case, it's a miracle arguably sitting on a precipice. Put shortly, with so many different people involved in the films, it's probably just a matter of time until someone jumps ship.

Only time will be able to tell, of course, who that winds up being. That said it probably won't be Chris Evans. The man behind Captain America's star and stripes, he recently revealed that his contact with Marvel will keep him in the character's shoes for a good long time. "I have a six-movie contract with Marvel and I absolutely plan on fulfilling them," he said. "This is without a doubt the biggest blessing in my life. Marvel has literally changed the game for me, and they make great movies."

Even with his dedication to Marvel affirmed however, Evans admitted to his growing interest in other film making endeavors. "I did direct last year and it was a really fantastic experience, I really enjoyed it," he said. "I'm certainly looking to do that a bit more, so when it comes to exploring other acting jobs I may not be as proactive in trying to find those, I may kind of stick with my Marvel universe in terms of getting in front of the camera, and then getting behind the camera outside of it." Here's hoping that the rest of the Avengers share his dedication.

Source: Collider

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
The guy showed that he got better since Fantastic 4 and I'm happy for him that he gets rewarded for it.

One question: Does cameos, like in the last Thor movie, counts or is it six full movies? I'm hoping for the latter.

Edit* Question answered! Thank you, guys.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Do crossover films count? If so First Avenger, The Avengers and The Winter Soldier already take up three, with The Avengers 2 being number 4. So two more films. Will he be in Avengers 3 or will there be another two Cap movies?

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
StewShearer said:
Put shortly, with so many different people involved in the films, it's probably just a matter of time until someone jumps ship.

Only time will be able to tell, of course, who that winds up being.
As I understand it, time has already weighed in with Edward Norton's Hulk.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Pyrian said:
StewShearer said:
Put shortly, with so many different people involved in the films, it's probably just a matter of time until someone jumps ship.

Only time will be able to tell, of course, who that winds up being.
As I understand it, time has already weighed in with Edward Norton's Hulk.
Haha. I had forgotten about him. Nice catch. :)

Random Argument Man said:
The guy showed that he got better since Fantastic 4 and I'm happy for him that he gets rewarded for it.

One question: Does cameos, like in the last Thor movie, counts or is it six full movies? I'm hoping for the latter.
It's my understanding that cameos don't count. Just big roles in feature films.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Depends on the contract, it would appear. All of Samuel L. Jackson's appearances count against his nine-film contract. I read Robert Downey, Jr.'s cameo at the end of The Incredible Hulk counted against his. In the original Collider article, it's said Evans' Thor cameo won't count. So he has three remaining. Likely two more Avengers films and one more Captain America.

OT: I think the headline is a little misleading, given that we're not getting six Captain America films, but w/e. It's not a big deal. ;p

Edit: Edited part of the post because apparently I can't do math (I was still counting the Thor one for some reason).

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I'm glad that all the films aren't straight up just Captain America. I love the guy and he is by far my favorite Avenger out of the whole team, but six films just about him would quickly make me tired of him. Seeing as three of those films are and will be The Avengers films, it looks like he'll get a third stand-alone movie just like Iron Man before they wrap up his contract.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
well ill be damned. lets hope they dont screw up. im wondering where they are guiding us with all these hero movies. avengers was purely awesome and i enjoyed the latest thor movie. also looking forward to winter soldier.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Huh, for some reason I thought we already knew that Robert Downey, Chris Hemsworth and Chris Evans were all signed on for 6 movies - 3 for the individual franchises and 3 Avengers team ups. Maybe that was just wild fan speculation *shrugs*

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
title is pretty misleading, he's contracted for 6 marvel movies, not CA movies. that said, i liked him in the movies so far, seems to fit the role perfectly and it would be a shame to replace him

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
Milk it, baby, milk it! First one was mediocre at best, second looks flashy and action oriented with little substance, but we'll see how it goes. Four more means that superhero movie fever will kill the genre that much quicker. It's kind of absurd that overwhelming majority of blockbusters are superhero movies.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Marter said:
Depends on the contract, it would appear. All of Samuel L. Jackson's appearances count against his nine-film contract. I read Robert Downey, Jr.'s cameo at the end of The Incredible Hulk counted against his. In the original Collider article, it's said Evans' Thor cameo won't count. So he has three remaining. Likely two more Avengers films and one more Captain America.

OT: I think the headline is a little misleading, given that we're not getting six Captain America films, but w/e. It's not a big deal. ;p

Edit: Edited part of the post because apparently I can't do math (I was still counting the Thor one for some reason).
Well, Samuel L. Jackson pretty much forced his way into the movies as I understand things so I don't think they are in any danger of losing him. The story I heard was when they used him as the basis for Nick Fury in "The Ultimate Universe" and what's more that alternate comics universe survived and made money beyond what anyone expected, he agreed not to sue as long as he was given the role of Nick Fury if they ever did a live action version, given that the only other guy to play him really was "The Hoff" and it bombed, this was at the time no big deal. It should be noted that there is some precedent for comic companies losing when a real person is used without permission for artwork, for example Todd Mcfarlane got hammered for using a real Hockey player with the same name as the inspiration for a gangster called "Tony Twist" in his comics (Todd lost the case).

When the whole movieverse thing came about, he pretty much made it understood that this was contracted to him. That's the story I've heard from various places, including here on The Escapist.

Unless the movies start to bomb, and given how much exposure and increased popularity they have given him (which is saying something as he was quite popular to begin with) I don't think they are in any danger of losing Mr. Jackson as it's something he apparently wants to do. Once his agreed upon contract expires the biggest issue will probably be more along the lines of how much money he wants as opposed to how much money they are making (and the size of his role in the films of course, he is something of a bit player/supporting cast member), and similar things.

Chris Evans is decent, but I honestly think "Captain America" is the best thing he's done so far, and trailers aside I still haven't seen a lot of evidence that he can turn out a really good fight scene yet. The first "Captain America" was okay, but the choreography wasn't all that, and he seemed to get seriously downplayed where Scarlett Johansson and Jeremy Renner were getting some better scenes for that than him (especially the former). Depending on how he ages given that his look is the key to the whole thing so far, it's unknown how well he can hold this role. I don't mean it to be offensive, but in a practical sense it's probably good from his perspective that he has a six movie deal. He's not bad so far, but I've kind of seen him as being the "weak link" in the series so far, playing perhaps the most choreography-centric role, while at the same time not doing much choreography. When I look at the new trailer, things that I notice are bits like how he's in an elevator, says "anyone want to get out" and then they do a screen cut, and show him picking up his shield with everyone else laying on the ground. The movie might do more than that, but it sort of demonstrates with some of his more "heroic" feats, you'd expect that to be a sort of "Bourne" moment of brutally choreographed hand to hand combat... something they have done with Scarlett Johansson which leads me to believe that Chris Evens must have some problems there (and for whatever reason they can't cover it with a stunt double). This is of course just my opinion. I'd be very surprised if Chris Evans ever leaves.

I'd say the most likely person they are to lose is Robert Downy Jr., as some things I've read have implied that he's happy to have the career springboard, but he'd really like to do something else. Not to mention that he's demanding increasingly outrageous paydays, which has had an effect on other actors in the "movieverse", some of whom have demanded more money accordingly. At the end of the day, he's very much in demand, and I suspect he's either not going to renew at some point, or demand so much money that Disney is just going to tell him to take a walk.

Chris Hemsworth is another serious possibility to leave, looking at his Wiki he has less stuff under his belt than Chris Evans, but seems to be in more demand, largely as a heartthrob to women. According to some things I've read, unless he ages very badly, very rapidly, Marvel might very well wind up in a bidding war for him. According to some speculation, he's in a position where if he quit doing Marvel tomorrow, he could probably make more money doing "chick flicks", faster, than he does playing Thor. None of those movies would make as much money, but would probably wind up putting more money in his pocket.

That said, I've had similar thoughts (which is why I pay attention to some of this stuff) in that Disney/Marvel didn't seem to think enough for the long term, and put too many big name people into their work, people that can rapidly become VERY expensive (and leverage their price as they become increasingly iconic in association with the roles, and get more offers).

I'm personally not going to even guess at their viability of keeping Scarlet Johansson in the long term, since it actually surprised me a little that they got her for "Black Widow". That said it seems that she's content to getting a starring role in an upcoming "Black Widow" movie according to what I've heard, so I imagine she'll be with us a while, but it occurs to me that beyond that she's one killer offer away from leaving herself, and seems like someone who is going to get plenty of good offers especially as her exposure from these movies continues.

In short Sam Jackson seems to really want the role for whatever reason, and Chris Evans seems like he's probably happy to have a contract.

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
I'm betting the Thor cameo counted because RDJ signed up for 6 films and his contract was up with Iron Man 3, forcing Marvel to negotiate a new contract to get him for Avengers 2. That will leave Chris with 1 film to go after Winter Soldier and Avengers 2, unless he somehow shows up in Guardians of the Galaxy (unlikely, but who knows?).

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
suitepee7 said:
title is pretty misleading, he's contracted for 6 marvel movies, not CA movies. that said, i liked him in the movies so far, seems to fit the role perfectly and it would be a shame to replace him
Yeah, you're right, it should have been a more Marvel-centric. Tweaked it!

Adamantium93

Jun 9, 2010
Honestly, if actors start jumping ship, the could just pull a James Bond and replace them without any fuss. I mean, they already did that with War Machine and the Hulk.

JMan

Jun 18, 2008

I doubt it counts since he originally wasn't going to be at that point in a cameo. Originally Tom Hiddleston was going to be in a Captain America costume in the scene.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
StewShearer said:
"I have a six-movie contract with Marvel and I absolutely plan on fulfilling them," he said.
Does that not mean 6 movies in total? As in, The First Avenger, The Avengers and Winter Soldier all count? And The Avengers 2 is practically a given so what it really means is 2 more currently unforeseen titles...

Given that Iron Man got 3 I wouldn't be surprised if they all did (except for Hulk). I suppose we'll all have a better guess when we see the end of Winter Soldier.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009

He confirmed that the Thor Cameo didn't count since originally Loki was supposed to wear Captain America's suit, but then Chris said he would do it and so valunteered.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
MovieBob [http://moviebob.blogspot.com/2014/03/2016-batman-vs-superman-vs-captain.html] is saying the Winter Soldier is contracted for a whopping nine movies. Yikes!