Chris Pratt will voice Mario in a new super Mario bros movie

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
What else is there to say? I could show you the rest of the cast here but by the end of it, you will become numb to the madness.

Besides that what is there to say? This is a shit post come to life.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Um...

Look, Pratt tends to do a good job in everything he's in, but I can't imagine him voicing Mario, or doing an Italian accent.

We'll see I guess.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
What else is there to say? I could show you the rest of the cast here but by the end of it, you will become numb to the madness.

Besides that what is there to say? This is a shit post come to life.
Okay and? You thought they weren't going to get someone big with a recognisable voice to do Mario? What planet do you live on?

Um...

Look, Pratt tends to do a good job in everything he's in, but I can't imagine him voicing Mario, or doing an Italian accent.

We'll see I guess.
Maybe they're doing Jersey Mario, like with Bob Hoskins in the first movie.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Um...

We'll see I guess.
How about a Brooklyn accent?

Edit: Darn you Gordon!

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I honestly cannot even conceive what a Chris Pratt Mario would sound like.

I figure he's gonna be some dude sucked into a video game playing *as* Mario.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I for one am excited to experience a genuinely horrible video game movie again. They don't make em like they used to.

Reactions: BrawlMan

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Apparently Charles Martinet (the normal Mario and co. voice actor) will have multiple cameos in the film, so it does kind of raise the question as to why he isn't just voicing Mario?

But, I suppose the fact that I felt it necessary to describe who Charles Martinet is, is probably the reason why he isn't the headline act here. The fact of the matter is, this is a star-studded cast, and the original VO cast aren't. For the average Joe, knowing that Star Lord is in a movie is way more exciting than some relative nobody, especially when a multi-million dollar movie is on the line.

But, I just can't picture what a Chris Pratt Mario will sound like....

inb4 everybody is just American.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Everything about that thread title exhausted me. I'm up too early anyway; might be able to go back to sleep, though now nightmares await.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The only actors I seen in the roles are Charlie Day as Luigi and Anya TJ as Peach. Charlie's great at being entitled but over his head and self-defeating. Anya can do posh/panicky but controlled.

Chris Pratt sounds like a dudebro in everything. And whether he's voicing a warthog, an alien or an anthropomorphic sausage Seth Rogen always speaks and sounds like Seth Rogen. John C. Reilly would've been a better fit as DK.

Key I imagine the joke is that he will sound nothing like what Toad's supposed to.

Nothing about Bowser says overly enthusiastic singsong cokehead but if nothing else Jack Black's always amusing.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The only actors I seen in the roles are Charlie Day as Luigi and Anya TJ as Peach. Charlie's great at being entitled but over his head and self-defeating. Anya can do posh/panicky but controlled.

Chris Pratt sounds like a dudebro in everything. And whether he's voicing a warthog, an alien or an anthropomorphic sausage Seth Rogen always speaks and sounds like Seth Rogen. John C. Reilly would've been a better fit as DK.

Key I imagine the joke is that he will sound nothing like what Toad's supposed to.

Nothing about Bowser says overly enthusiastic singsong cokehead but if nothing else Jack Black's always amusing.
I came here to post something similar, not as analytical, but simply that the rest of the cast doesn't seem that I bad; I like everyone except Pratt and Rogen. Whether or not the movie will be good remains to be seen, but I might entertain seeing it now.

EDIT: might entertain seeing it when it's available for streaming at home. I won't go to a theater for it.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They definitely should have just kept the original voice actor for Mario. Because otherwise, if all you got him is in cameos, then what's the point? Nobody answer that, rhetorical question.

Yeah sure, it's not completely marketable, but most kids, teens, and adults that grew up on Mario know what the voice sounds like. Especially if those kids or teens grew up in the N64, GameCube era, and beyond. They definitely know Mario's voice actor.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
They definitely should have just kept the original voice actor for Mario. Because otherwise, if all you got him is in cameos, then what's the point? Nobody answer that, rhetorical question.

Yeah sure, it's not completely marketable, but most kids, teens, and adults that grew up on Mario know what the voice sounds like. Especially if those kids or teens grew up in the N64, GameCube era, and beyond. They definitely know Mario's voice actor.
If those that "grew up" from N64 and beyond really want to b**** about Mario's voice not being accurate, send them to me. I'll remind them what we OG '80s kids got when OUR Mario Bros. movie came out. This one will almost assuredly be better by orders of magnitude (not saying it'll be good, btw,) and I will not suffer such niggling, entitled pettiness.

Hmm... off to visit the "Stupidest Move Ever Made" thread.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If those that "grew up" from N64 and beyond really want to b**** about Mario's voice not being accurate, send them to me. I'll remind them what we OG '80s kids got when OUR Mario Bros. movie came out. This one will almost assuredly be better by orders of magnitude (not saying it'll be good, btw,) and I will not suffer such niggling, entitled pettiness.

Hmm... off to visit the "Stupidest Move Ever Made" thread.
I saw the live action Mario Brothers movie when I was 3 years old. I still preferred the cartoon from the late 80s and early 90s. I've had a couple of them on tape.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I saw the live action Mario Brothers movie when I was 3 years old. I still preferred the cartoon from the late 80s and early 90s. I've had a couple of them on tape.
There's no need to qualify your preference with "still;" NO ONE liked that piece of shit live-action movie; EVERYONE preferred the Saturday morning cartoon. Well, Housman probably liked the movie, knowing him...

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Okay and? You thought they weren't going to get someone big with a recognisable voice to do Mario? What planet do you live on?
Well Sonic the Hedgehog's titular character was not voiced by a big name star. I didn't know who Ben Schwartz was before reading his Wikipedia page today, but I don't think it's a name that draws crowds. I find it a bit interesting that both him and Chris Pratt has had regular roles in Parks and Recreation.

On Pratt's casting: sounds bad. I've only seen his acting in The Lego Movie and The Lego Movie: The Second Part, but from descriptions of Guardians of the Galaxy's lead character and his character on Parks and Recreation I'd say his forte is portraying characters that would be at home as a shonen manga protagonist. I could see him voicing Monkey D. Luffy, Naruto or Son Goku, since he seems to be portraying lovable dumb-asses a lot. That however is not how I imagine Mario, I imagine Mario as a more mature person. And this is not getting into that Mario often speaks with an Italian accent, something I doubt will be present with Pratt in the role.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Well Sonic the Hedgehog's titular character was not voiced by a big name star. I didn't know who Ben Schwartz was before reading his Wikipedia page today, but I don't think it's a name that draws crowds. I find it a bit interesting that both him and Chris Pratt has had regular roles in Parks and Recreation.

On Pratt's casting: sounds bad. I've only seen his acting in The Lego Movie and The Lego Movie: The Second Part, but from descriptions of Guardians of the Galaxy's lead character and his character on Parks and Recreation I'd say his forte is portraying characters that would be at home as a shonen manga protagonist. I could see him voicing Monkey D. Luffy, Naruto or Son Goku, since he seems to be portraying lovable dumb-asses a lot. That however is not how I imagine Mario, I imagine Mario as a more mature person. And this is not getting into that Mario often speaks with an Italian accent, something I doubt will be present with Pratt in the role.
Maybe they go for a Brooklyn one, as was apparently the fashion at one stage.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Well Martinet is in venerable years. So having him as a mentor role for Pratt is a good thing since if he passes away they can use Pratt or his Video Game VA as a replacement