Christian Bale is Moses in First Trailer For Exodus

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Christian Bale is Moses in First Trailer For Exodus

[apple_trailer=exodus]
Biblical hero gets the Gladiator treatment from director Ridley Scott

The first trailer has landed for Ridley Scott's Exodus: Gods and Kings, a feature adaptation of the Biblical text of the same name, offering audiences their first look at Christian Bale as Moses and Joel Edgerton as Pharaoh.

Though a brief assembly of footage, the trailer provides the first answers to the tone and direction of the film, which hadn't been widely circulated previously. The film looks to be a fairly traditional adaptation from a story perspective, with the conception of Moses and Pharaoh as friends turned enemies when the truth of Moses' origin and destiny are revealed being familiar territory to those who've already seen Prince of Egypt or The Ten Commandments. The Ten Plagues and the parting of the Red Sea also appear to be present, seeming to confirm that this will be an adaptation largely in line with the text as opposed to a historical-realism revisionist take that some had expected.

Exodus: Gods and Kings is due for release on December 12. Sigourney Weaver, Aaron Paul, Ben Kingsley and John Turturro also star.

Source: iTunes [http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox/exodusgodsandkings/]

Dukect

May 27, 2009
You know I'm not a person who thinks about casting that much. Especially when it deals with race. Because I feel that as long as the part is played well I have no problem with it.

But when I see this the main leads Christian Bale as Moses and Joel Edgerton with a spray tan playing the Pharaoh. I just Shake my head and think can't they find any Arab actors to play these parts.

I 'm no SJW but come on there're only a few people of different races in this movie are Indira Varma and Ben Kingsley. Oh there is one more Adrian Palmer the only black guy in the movie and guess what he's play as an Egyptian Thief.

You know I'll skip this one and see Prince of Egypt the animated one again.

Astalano

Nov 24, 2009
First off, there is no evidence of this event ever happening. It's a fairytale. For all the attempts of archeologists, not one piece of convincing evidence has emerged to show that large numbers of jews were ever kept as slaves, let alone the plagues and exodus, which is all conveniently missing from Egyptian history.

I also love how hollywood is so ashamed of the actual Bible that they have to misrepresent the stories and leave out bits to make it seem moral or make it actually make sense.

God is such a moral agent that he kills untold numbers in Egypt while playing both sides:

"But the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart and he would not listen to Moses and Aaron, just as the LORD had said to Moses.:

God has the power to make the Pharaoh let the Jews go, yet he interferes with his free will in precisely the most detrimental way, presumably with a bowl of popcorn in one hand watching the show unfold.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Dukect said:
You know I'm not a person who thinks about casting that much. Especially when it deals with race. Because I feel that as long as the part is played well I have no problem with it.

But when I see this the main leads Christian Bale as Moses and Joel Edgerton with a spray tan playing the Pharaoh. I just Shake my head and think can't they find any Arab actors to play these parts.

I 'm no SJW but come on there're only a few people of different races in this movie are Indira Varma and Ben Kingsley. Oh there is one more Adrian Palmer the only black guy in the movie and guess what he's play as an Egyptian Thief.

Err the ancient Egyptians were not arabs, the Arabs only took Egypt in the 7th century AD. Furthermore Ramasses II, the Pharaoh that is most likely to have been Moses's opponent, had red hair.

Dukect

May 27, 2009
albino boo said:
Dukect said:

Err the ancient Egyptians were not arabs, the Arabs only took Egypt in the 7th century AD. Furthermore Ramasses II, the Pharaoh that is most likely to have been Moses's opponent, had red hair.
Oh I did not know that but my point still stands why does Hollywood keep whitewashing these parts its 2014 I think we can handle a couple of brown people in the lead right?

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Guess Moses must have been one of those kids that played a lot of video games, because that is the palest mediterranean/middle eastern man I have ever seen. Very jarring I couldn't really focus on the rest of the trailer, kept thinking about it and really failed to draw me in because of it.

A Weakgeek

Feb 3, 2011
Im mainly interested if they can make Moses seem less like a massive **** like he was in the Prince of egypt.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Dukect said:
Oh I did not know that but my point still stands why does Hollywood keep whitewashing these parts its 2014 I think we can handle a couple of brown people in the lead right?
Err its not whitewashing. You are saying that these two jewish men could not play moses because its whitewashing

here is photograph of the mummy of Rameses II

Again you are saying that an actor of european origin cant play a man with red hair.

You are basing your idea of the ethnicity of the ancient middle east on todays ethnic makeup not that of 3000 years ago. The ancient Egyptians always described the Libyans as blond, the biblical philistines came from southern europe, most likely Sardinia and Corsica and the Hittites came from south east europe or the caucuses. Most ancient middle eastern societies were monocultural but multi racial. Egypt had black pharaohs and redheaded pharaohs. The breaking of of the mediterranean basin into a christian and a muslim half has much reduced the migration and ethnic diversity of both southern europe and north africa over the last 1500 years.

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
i have ridiculous amounts of love for Bale for Batman and Psycho. I have ridiculous amounts of love for Joel for Warrior and Gatsby. Shall see this as well.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Dukect said:
albino boo said:
Dukect said:

Its not so much Whitewashing as it it is star power. There are really no headliner arab or middle east actors. Bale is a known quantity and he will sell some tickets on name alone if the whole and help draw the non Bible movie/family friendly crowd.

Jul 31, 2013
Sure, Ridley Scott can do whatever the hell he wants, but my overall reaction to this is "meh, I'll just rewatch Prince of Egypt".

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
Some day...just once...I'd like to see Christian Bale smile in a modern movie.

I think he snorted a ton of whatever Nolan takes and has a permanent frown as a result.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Aggieknight said:

I think he snorted a ton of whatever Nolan takes and has a permanent frown as a result.
It's actually the nagging knowledge that he is in fact Welsh and therefore has to constantly worry about the urge to molest sheep.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
Friendly reminder that Egypt is an African country.It would probably be more accurate to use black actors than white actors.

Ramesses II ruled about 1279-1213 BCE, Ancient Greece was in it's infant years then while Egypt had existed for about 2000 years by then. Alexander the Great reigned from about 336 BCE to 323 BCE. The Roman Kingdom began in about 753 BCE and the Empire didn't rise until 27 BCE. There may have been some white immigration, white merchants trading, but during Ramesses rule there really wasn't a huge influx of white people mixing in yet.

It's highly likely that ancient Egyptians and even the ancient Jews were much, much, much more naturally darker, more African looking than spray tan on a white dude or middle eastern. Using middle eastern actors for this movie would have been a vast improvement though.

Especially if you're looking at the perspective of the very high likelihood that judeo-christian religion spawned from Ancient Egyptian religion.

Even my Egyptian friend says modern Egypt is as light as it is today because of thousands of years of mixing with white people after they began invading with Alexander the Great and the Roman Empire.

edit: Also, saying dark skinned people can't have light eyes or red/blonde hair is just pure ignorance. You don't even need white people to have that, you just need a genetic mutation.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Aggieknight said:

Oh he smiles. Only when he's sure you're not looking.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
The only telling of exodus is the Prince of Egypt, it was far more down to earth (there's some irony there(?)

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Huh...surprised this didn't come out at the same time as Noah...Hollywood really does cycle through trends all at the same time!

As for casting, my problem is less about the diversity, and more about the leads. Charleton Heston made a great Moses...dunno what they are expecting from Bale...but then again, I'd never have pictured Russel Crowe as Moses either...

The way marketing works...I wouldn't be surprised if they did a Noah vs Moses crossover...see Batman vs Superman Senior in a Biblical setting!!!

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
PirateRose said:
Friendly reminder that Egypt is an African country.It would probably be more accurate to use black actors than white actors.

Ramesses II ruled about 1279-1213 BCE, Ancient Greece was in it's infant years then while Egypt had existed for about 2000 years by then. Alexander the Great reigned from about 336 BCE to 323 BCE. The Roman Kingdom began in about 753 BCE and the Empire didn't rise until 27 BCE. There may have been some white immigration, white merchants trading, but during Ramesses rule there really wasn't a huge influx of white people mixing in yet.

It's highly likely that ancient Egyptians and even the ancient Jews were much, much, much more naturally darker, more African looking than spray tan on a white dude or middle eastern. Using middle eastern actors for this movie would have been a vast improvement though.

Especially if you're looking at the perspective of the very high likelihood that judeo-christian religion spawned from Ancient Egyptian religion.

Even my Egyptian friend says modern Egypt is as light as it is today because of thousands of years of mixing with white people after they began invading with Alexander the Great and the Roman Empire.

edit: Also, saying dark skinned people can't have light eyes or red/blonde hair is just pure ignorance. You don't even need white people to have that, you just need a genetic mutation.
There has been contact between europe and egypt since the middle kingdom at least. In new kingdom egypt the minoans appear in paintings from the reign of Hatshepsut (about 1479/1473-1458/57 BC), and in Pi-Rameses there are even paintings done in the style of Minoan art. There literally 10000s of shards of Mycenaean pottery found all over New Kingdom Egypt. There are some versions of the Iliad where the Menelaus and Helen went to Egypt, after the fall of Troy, and Helen seeks refuge with the Pharaohs.

You are trying to impose current ideas about race and ethnicity and societies that did not see themselves in that way. The ancient Egyptians defined someone as Egyptian if they lived by the rule of Ma'at not by race. You can't define Egypt as semitic any more than you can define the United States by language. Martin Luther King spoke English as first language but that does not make him an anglo saxon. Egypt's achievements was a product of the Egyptian culture but that culture was not defined by race. As said in my early post most middle eastern societies were monocultural but multiracial.