Christopher Nolan Might Be Involved In An Akira Trilogy

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Christopher Nolan Might Be Involved In An Akira Trilogy

It looks like an Akira film trilogy might actually be in the early stages of development, with Dark Knight director Christopher Nolan attached in some capacity.

We know, we know. Akira has been one of those projects that, for over a decade, has been repeatedly set to receive a big screen adaptation, only to fall apart at the last minute. Perhaps rightfully so -- a post-apocalyptic, cyberpunk, Japanese manga series doesn't exactly jump off the page as something that would be easy to adapt by any major Western studio, hence why the project has sat in development hell over at Warner Bros. since about 2002, with everyone from Keanu Reeves to Garrett Hedlund to Kristen Stewart attached to the cast list at one point.

But now, Den of Geek [http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/akira/249050/report-warner-planning-akira-trilogy-christopher-nolan-involved] is reporting that not only is an Akira live-action project finally moving forward, but that the manga series from Katsuhiro Otomo will possibly be turned into a trilogy of films.

A "source close to Warner" tells DoG that Leonardo DiCaprio's production company, Appian Way -- which was also recently reported to be (finally) moving forward with the similarly delayed adaptation [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141939-DiCaprio-Scorsese-Team-Up-Again-for-Devil-in-White-City] -- and Sons of Anarchy screenwriter Marco J. Ramirez will be penning the script, and not only that, but Dark Knight director Christopher Nolan might also be involved.

Most intriguingly of all, we're told that Christopher Nolan has met with a previously attached filmmaker (who we can't name here) within the past three months to talk about the project.

It was recently announced, of course, that Nolan's next film is out in July 2017. As ever, it's a project shrouded in secrecy. Could that film be Akira? It's a far-fetched notion, perhaps, but its positioning as a summer film certainly suggests that Nolan has something major in store, and a big-budget adaptation of Akira could fit that bill. And while Nolan has the kind of industry clout to make just about anything he wants, his prior relationship with Warner - and his history with Leonardo DiCaprio on Inception - might add weight to the Akira theory.

Of course, there's a strong possibility that Nolan might simply be attached to Akira as a producer (like he was with Man of Steel), but for now, my only questions all revolve around how Warner Bros. plans to completely whitewash this adaptation in regards to their casting. Joseph Gordon Levitt as Kaneda, maybe? Benedict Cumberbatch as Tetsuo? Ugh, the mind wanders.

Source: Den of Geek [http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/akira/249050/report-warner-planning-akira-trilogy-christopher-nolan-involved]

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Nolan? Great, let's take one of the more fantastical versions of future tokyo and make it gritty and hyper-realistic. Don't forget to suck all of the color out of it so it looks like a black and white movie.

All told, I'm still not sure what the point of a live-action akira is. It's not like the giant blobby tetsuo will look all that different with cg rather than traditional animation.

Well, I can think of one reason: seeing that bad ass motorcycle of Kaneda's in a real, physical form.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
The Manga didn't even adapt well to the Anime Movie. It's a hard R story, and NC-17 if done as the Manga did. It would work better as a Netflix series like Daredevil has. The Manga is good, but overly long, and as the movie showed you can barely fit the first part into a coherent movie that requires a complete reworking of the plot if you don't want to commit to more. I have little faith in a Hollywood reworking of Akira, and expect it to land somewhere between Dragonball Evolution, and Speed Racer. At least Speed Racer had an Incoherent plot to begin with to justify its existence as mostly special effects heavy, and no plot to abuse to enrage the fan base. That happens when the American Dubs end up being the only official copies of a series. Akira has an Anime fan base who is going to be enrages, and confused when if they stay closer to the Manga, and an Manga fan base who will be enraged for the opposite reason, or when things have to be cut for time. Then both will be enraged when it ends up being Akira Evolution.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Ooooohohohoooo dear. Would that ever be a stale adaptation of a piece of animation. I don't think Nolan's mind can even allow half the stuff that takes place in that movie. It's just too illogical for his robotic mind.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
flying_whimsy said:
Nolan? Great, let's take one of the more fantastical versions of future tokyo and make it gritty and hyper-realistic. Don't forget to suck all of the color out of it so it looks like a black and white movie.
What movie did you see/what manga did you read? Tokyo in the movie and manga is depicted rather realistically with some noticeable wear on the city due to riots and violence, as well as the hole where the bomb went off.

All told, I'm still not sure what the point of a live-action akira is. It's not like the giant blobby tetsuo will look all that different with cg rather than traditional animation.
Because an adaptation of the 6 volume manga with each book being as thick as a phone book would be interesting to see since it differs so much from the movie and it would be fun to see it played out in full.

Well, I can think of one reason: seeing that bad ass motorcycle of Kaneda's in a real, physical form.
Been done

but it would still be fun to see.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Christian Neihart said:
thephill said:
We had a live action Akira movie, it was called 'Chonicle' and was not that great.
I think you mean Lucy.

Anyways, I have one question: Why Nolan?
Because outside of Interstellar and arguable TDKR, his hit/miss ratio for movies, especially scifi and psychological thriller aspects, is incredibly high?

Lot of people like to complain about Man of Steel but that wasn't his movie. Yes he was the executive producer, but he wasn't the one that made them take out all the colour and make Superman rip off Spider-Man, be stupid, drain all the colour, and kill thousands of people. From what I heard at worst he told Snyder that he shouldn't focus on imitating Marvel's success and should just focus on making a good movie. Too bad that didn't stick.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Christian Neihart said:
thephill said:
We had a live action Akira movie, it was called 'Chonicle' and was not that great.
I think you mean Lucy.

I suppose because he has a largely successful history in the urban crime drama genre.

OT: I doubt it's Akira. That movie might have been a wise investment 20 years ago, but it has nothing to bring to the table today. Not even nothing new, nothing at all. At least as far as the movie-going public is concerned. Even that godawful Dragonball movie had martial arts, and we don't have a whole lot of those in Hollywood.

A better approach for an Akira movie is to make it a completely new property taking cues from the original movie/comic. Like the Matrix did for Ghost in the Shell. The name-recognition approach falls completely flat when it comes to these properties. Fans won't watch it on principle, anyone else who recognizes the name won't watch it because they're not particularly interested, and everyone else won't know what the hell they're looking at.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Xpwn3ntial said:
Christian Neihart said:
thephill said:
I think you mean Lucy.

I suppose because he has a largely successful history in the urban crime drama genre.

OT: I doubt it's Akira. That movie might have been a wise investment 20 years ago, but it has nothing to bring to the table today. Not even nothing new, nothing at all. At least as far as the movie-going public is concerned. Even that godawful Dragonball movie had martial arts, and we don't have a whole lot of those in Hollywood.

A better approach for an Akira movie is to make it a completely new property taking cues from the original movie/comic. Like the Matrix did for Ghost in the Shell. The name-recognition approach falls completely flat when it comes to these properties. Fans won't watch it on principle, anyone else who recognizes the name won't watch it because they're not particularly interested, and everyone else won't know what the hell they're looking at.
I hope that's what is going on. I guess I wouldn't mind a more "faithful" live action adaptation... if they hadn't said it would be a trilogy. One anime movie does not equal a live action trilogy of movies. They'll either be 1:10 run time and still boring because they stretched the story, or they will do the smart thing and like you said go with a new story just taking cues from the source material.

You could still even call it Akira, the "entrenched fanbase" (or rabid fanboys) that will take offense with changes to the original aren't going to affect box office enough with the Nolan name and a good enough cast. And really all you have to have to make it "faithful" enough is at some point someone angsty has to yell "Tetsuooooooooooooooo" and someone even more angsty has to yell "Kaneeeeeeedaaaaaaaaa." As long as you get that right you could replace Tokyo with Gary, Indiana and motorcycles with awesome superfast segways and it would be close enough.

And as far as casting is concerned. Just give it someone new... please! Leave established "name" actors to supporting cast and villains. Or go with an all-Japanese cast. Whatever, I just don't want to see whatever teenbeat stars of the current "twilight, divergent, hungergames" kiddyfilms as the lead characters.