Chrono Cross Crossing to PSN in Japan

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Chrono Cross Crossing to PSN in Japan

The sequel to one of the most beloved JRPGs of all time is hitting the PlayStation Network - but for the moment, it's only in Japan.

The 1995 SNES classic JRPG Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games of all time. It's a sterling example of how good a Japanese RPG can be, and it is widely held up by many as one of the best videogames ever created (because it totally is). Its PS1 sequel Chrono Cross was never quite as legendary, but it was still a very strong showing - and to this day, it has one of the in a videogame [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMntblDX0Bg].

Unfortunately, it's also pretty hard to find a copy of, these days. On the other hand, that makes the announcement that Square-Enix will be putting Chrono Cross up for download on PSN all the sweeter.

According to Final Fantasy VII [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/13/chrono_cross_game_archives/] on PSN came as result of the Japanese Square Enix Members Twitter account reaching 20,000 followers.

Whatever the reason, this is still great news. It has not yet been announced whether Chrono Cross will show up on PSN in North America and Europe, but given that Squeenix's previous PSN releases have crossed the ocean it seems likely. If so, this will be a first for Europeans: Chrono Cross never saw a European release.

I've always said that Chrono Cross was "an amazing game, but a horrible sequel," and I still hold that to be true. Even if it isn't as superb as Trigger, it's still a classic in its own right.

Square-Enix also reportedly has another announcement waiting in the wings to celebrate its 20,000-follower milestone, an announcement that isn't a downloadable game. I'd given up hoping for a third Chrono game years ago, but wouldn't it be cool if it were?

(Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/13/chrono_cross_game_archives/])

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Did someone say my name? Oh, no...just a game :p

I gotta try out the games but this may be the first one I give a shot X3

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
If I didn't still have my ps1 copy of this, I would be supremely irked that there's no NA release date. Right now I'm more concerned with whether or not Squeenix will ever give us Vagrant Story on the PSN. >_>

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
Well it's about time.

I never played Chrono Cross buy I played the hell out of Chrono Trigger and ive heard good things. Hurry and come to the EU PSN Store!.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
I played Chrono Cross well before I played Trigger and for some reason I love it more. The story/soundtrack and characters were all wonderfull to me. I was into it so much that I simply had to finish the game and get all of the different endings. (Its been a while, I believe thier were three) I also played through with almost every character just to see different interactions/dialog.

This and the re-release of SotC...... I might actually buy a PS3.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I freaking love Cross.

Poshul is one the greatest RPG party members ever. A lisping giant pink dog that I put right up there with Garrus.

Played it years before I played Trigger, though. Still never finished Trigger. Don't like it much.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
*shrugs*

I never liked the game, although...

That soundtrack, I mean...

Come ON!

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
I first played Trigger on the recent DS remake and loved it more than I imagined.
if this comes to the UK im buying a PS3.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Sweet! I sure hope that we in Euope will be blessed by this game.

I have never tried it and it would be fun to actully try it out.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Sigh, i loved this game. I think i played it more than any other jrpg. I really did love the combat system. Although i never did get every single character.

AxelxGabriel

Nov 13, 2009
I'm just lucky I have this game at home, cause I have very low faith that it will come out here.

Same reasoning why Xenogears didn't come out here.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
Ne1butme said:
Sigh, i loved this game. I think i played it more than any other jrpg. I really did love the combat system. Although i never did get every single character.
Every character in one play through or just every character? The first is near impossible while the other....is also near impossible.

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
Hmm... Cross was okay...

but notice how it was referred to as the "sequel to one of the most beloved" instead of just "one of the most beloved".

:-/

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
If Cross is a "horrible sequel"... then I might actually enjoy playing it, if it ever does come to PSN for us.
Mainly because I didn't enjoy Trigger much at all. If it's a bad sequel, then it might be different enough to be fun for me.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Never did like Cross. Not as much as most people seem to, anyway. I don't know, maybe just how much they changed from Trigger put me off.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Every
KEM10 said:
Ne1butme said:
Every character in one play through or just every character? The first is near impossible while the other....is also near impossible.
Every character in one game file. It's impossible to get all the characters in 1 playthrough. I once read that it takes at least 3 and that's if you know exactly what you're doing. I never wanted to cheat by seeing how to get the characters, so i know there was some i missed. Plus i felt that new game + was too easy, thus boring.

Every couple of years, i would start playing the game again, but always on a new save.

Omgsarge

May 11, 2009
Nimbus said:
*shrugs*

I never liked the game, although...

That soundtrack, I mean...

Come ON!
No no no, You are not doing it right!

Aaaaah, Chrono Cross...you still have one of the best video game soundtrack of all time.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Omgsarge said:
No no no, You are not doing it right!

Aaaaah, Chrono Cross...you still have one of the best video game soundtrack of all time.
*Shrugs*

I like mine better. Best level-up/end-of-battle song I know of.