Cinema Screens Paranormal Activity 4 Instead of Madagascar 3

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Cinema Screens Paranormal Activity 4 Instead of Madagascar 3

Technical screw up exposes children as young as five to a poorly-received horror film.

Families attending a screening of Madagascar 3 at a Cineworld [http://www.cineworld.co.uk/] in Nottingham, England, had to flee the auditorium, screaming children in tow, when Paranormal Activity 4 was shown instead.

The mostly pre-teen audience's poor response to the film wasn't just down to the fact it's terrible [http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/paranormal_activity_4_2012/]; Paranormal Activity 4 opens with one of the more surprising moments from the first film, a bloodied female corpse being hurled at the camera, no doubt surprising those expecting the dulcet tones of David Schwimmer as a neurotic giraffe. The film carries a 15-and-up rating in the UK.

As Nastasha Lewis, a mother who attended the film with her eight-year-old son, Dylan, puts it:

"They started playing the movie and I thought - this doesn't look right. And then I recognized the opening sequence as a flash back to the first movie, which I saw a couple of years ago. It opens on the most terrifying scene in the first film - where a body shoots full pelt towards the camera. It's enough to make grown men jump, so you can imagine the terror in these young faces. Everybody just scrambled for the exits, all you could hear were children crying and screaming. Everyone was very upset. I've watched a few horror films in my time but the 'Paranormal Activity' films are the scariest since 'The Exorcist'."

"It was only about two minutes worth of the film but it was enough to scar them for life," she continued. "There were parents and kids in there, including some children who were younger than Dylan.

"The cinema needs to check the film before sending everyone in so they don't make this mistake again. I'm disgusted about it, mistakes like this simply should not happen."

A spokesperson for Cineworld has pinned the mistake on a "technical error," and promises the company is taking steps to ensure it never happens again. The company offered the affected families refunds and complimentary tickets, and invited them to a second screening of Madagascar 3 half an hour later.

Source: Yahoo News [uk.movies.yahoo.com/cinema-shows-paranormal-activity-instead-of-madagascar-3.html]

Oct 2, 2012
People actually consider paranormal activity scary? I have been under the impression that they're parodies that take themselves a bit too seriously sometimes...

Maybe thats why the entire theater turned to look at me when I burst out laughing during the first one....

Oh and the lady needs to chill out. Her child isn't "scarred for life" and mistakes happen. They'll have nightmares for a bit and then laugh at it as adults going "Wow, the things I was scared of as a child."

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
If all it takes is one scary scene from a movie to scar your kid for life, you need to let them out of the bubble a little more often.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be pissed off, too. Last thing I want is for my kid to have nightmare fuel for a week. But they'll get over it. At least I feel a little better that America isn't the only country that's so dammed melodramatic about their kids.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
OuendanCyrus said:
This pleases me greatly.
You need help, Professional help.

OT: I like too remind people that only a few short centuries ago, children were exposed too everything in life, the good, bad, evil, pure. BUT...

With that said. Really? I mean, I suppose it is possible that the film was in the wrong can, but still even that mistake is really stupid. I would be in great favor of the theater paying for therapy for everyone. I mean, those kids will have nightmares for months too come.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
Well, these screw ups happen, especially with the rush towards digital cinema, a projectionist no longer has to physically thread the wrong film into the projector for this to happen. Still, the trailer sets should have differed greatly between the two films, and the error should have been caught as soon as they started showing trailers for R-rated films -or the equivalent- before the movie proper.

Oct 2, 2012
Gilhelmi said:
OuendanCyrus said:
This pleases me greatly.
You need help, Professional help.

OT: I like too remind people that only a few short centuries ago, children were exposed too everything in life, the good, bad, evil, pure. BUT...

With that said. Really? I mean, I suppose it is possible that the film was in the wrong can, but still even that mistake is really stupid. I would be in great favor of the theater paying for therapy for everyone. I mean, those kids will have nightmares for months too come.
I don't see why therapy is necessary at all. A few nightmares from a "scary" movie isn't going to destroy a child's sanity and send it into some sort of wild, dribbling state of psychosis(Exaggeration).

Everybody has nightmares right? Some can be quite scary. But I fail to see how that should be a reason for therapy...

Forgive me if my post seems aggressive, I am in a bad mood and it might be seeping into my posts.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
OuendanCyrus said:
This pleases me greatly.
It's news stories like these that make me sure the world wants me to be happy. I feel warm and fuzzy on the inside...like the first time I watched Punisher: War Zone.

mronoc

Nov 12, 2008
I actually remember that scene in the first Parnormal Activity being pretty lame, at least enough to sour me on the rest of the film. Your kids should forget such a weak jump scare by the time your out of the parking lot.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
So a pointless sequel get shown in place of a pointless sequel?

It could have been worse, it could have been Shrek 5!

BTW I've only seen the first Paranormal Acitvity and was wondering if the second is any good? I like to have a good movie for Halloween.

IronSuplex

Apr 13, 2012
Could be worse...they could've shown a scary movie.
Regardless I have a feeling this was done deliberately.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
TO EVERYONE DISMISSING THE "SCARRED FOR LIFE" STATEMENT:

The guy who designed Giygas, the destroyer of childhoods, based it off his recollections of a violent and horrific scene he had accidentally seen in a theater as a child.

Check and mate.

OT: Could have been worse. My family went to "Night at the Museum" and they started playing "Ghost Rider" instead.

In all seriousness, this was pretty dang unfortunate. There's not very many cinema tech issues that have worse mix-ups than this.

Some of these comments... you guys make me uncomfortable...