Cities: Skylines Review - The Best City Builder in a Decade

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Cities: Skylines Review - The Best City Builder in a Decade

The gaming community has been disappointed and burned by city builders in recent years. Can Colossal Order and Paradox Interactive win them back with Cities: Skylines?

Read Full Article

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Holy shit. That's no ordinary city simulator. That's...a good Sim City.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Barbas said:
Angels sang out... In immaculate chorus...
Down from the heavens... Descended Chuck Norris...
Who delivered a message... Which could splatter brain...
I've found it... A Good Sim City...

OT:

Hilariously old references aside holy shit am I excited for this. I'd like to point out that the map is actually unlimited (or rather, isn't locked to the 9 they describe) but you have to unlock it to be able to buy more squares than 9 due to laggy-laggy frames. Basically, if your computer can run it, you can build it.

I loved Sim City even with how awful many of it's choices were, simply because it was the first of it's kind in a while. And now this...

Truly, the gods smile upon us. And probably will smite us too as soon as we unlocked the disasters.

JonB

Sep 16, 2012
Lil_Rimmy said:
Hilariously old references aside holy shit am I excited for this. I'd like to point out that the map is actually unlimited (or rather, isn't locked to the 9 they describe) but you have to unlock it to be able to buy more squares than 9 due to laggy-laggy frames. Basically, if your computer can run it, you can build it.
Correct. Though you're still population limited, the unlocks-25-tiles mod will let you reach population cap while still having some cute little hamlets in your city.

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
Last week I watched streams of this game as everyone and their dogs were streaming it. And it really looks like a great game. I normally am not into city builder games (Not enough to justify their prices atleast). But this looks like one I would spend a lot of time in.
Hopefully, it will be.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
"But then Paradox Interactive swung in through the window wearing a rakish tricorne hat and clenching a dagger 'tween his teeth, robbing the bloated and dastardly Duke EA of his tidy little monopoly, giving good City Simulators to the peasants for a much more reasonable price!"

Paradox can always be trusted to produce interesting games. But when it's interesting and good, then we've gone gold.

Will check this game out at some point :p

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Ooooooh dammit this may be the first time the escapist has taken a sledgehammer to my willpower. I...need money...for sushi this weekend but..agah.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Lil_Rimmy said:
Barbas said:
Angels sang out... In immaculate chorus...
Down from the heavens... Descended Chuck Norris...
Who delivered a message... Which could splatter brain...
I've found it... A Good Sim City...

OT:

I loved Sim City even with how awful many of it's choices were, simply because it was the first of it's kind in a while. And now this...

Truly, the gods smile upon us. And probably will smite us too as soon as we unlocked the disasters.
I wish there was an option for an Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny [sub][sup](good guys, bad guys and explosions....)[/sup][/sub]

I've been watching livestream upon livestream of this game, and this review is the perfect excuse to buy me this great piece of work.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
FFS.

I don't WANT to chip out of my school money for games. But holy cow, THIS REVIEW.

Hnnnnnnnnng... Halp...

AuldMan

Feb 25, 2015
Barbas said:
Yea. I'm looking forward to this one, but I think that I am going to hold off until the first patch or two and see how it holds up before I shell out for it. Looks great so far though, doesn't it!

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
I am interested in this but have never really played a city management game since Sim City on the SNES. For those who have played it does it have a difficult learning curve?

JonB

Sep 16, 2012
Blazing Hero said:
I am interested in this but have never really played a city management game since Sim City on the SNES. For those who have played it does it have a difficult learning curve?
No. Once you figure out decent traffic flow you'll be fine. Seriously, my SO had never played a sim game and she figured it out in an hour or so.

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
JonB said:
Blazing Hero said:
No. Once you figure out decent traffic flow you'll be fine. Seriously, my SO had never played a sim game and she figured it out in an hour or so.
Awesome! Then I'll pick it up after work. Thanks!

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Hey, the developers' address is right by my bus trip to school and back. How cool is that!! The game doesn't fit into my backlog, though.

beatnik11

Mar 16, 2010
EA may have killed Sim City, but it has now been resurrected in a new body. Long live Cities: Skylines! Hip hip hooray!

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
JonB said:
Lil_Rimmy said:
Correct. Though you're still population limited, the unlocks-25-tiles mod will let you reach population cap while still having some cute little hamlets in your city.
Ah, righto, didn't know that. Then again, I'm fairly certain as soon as someone hits said limit there will be about 35 different mods letting you build past the limit.

Because yay PC.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I haven't played a city builder since Sim City 2000. This looks like a steal a 30 bucks. I will definitely have to pick it up. It's nice to see a developer willing to break out of the mold of always selling games at the $60 dollar price.