Cities: Skylines Snowfall Expansion Announced

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Cities: Skylines Snowfall Expansion Announced

Let it snow, let it snow...

Paradox Interactive announced today that "Snowfall" will be the newest expansion to make its way to Colossal Order's city-builder Cities: Skylines. The central feature of the expansion is the in-game weather system, along with issues often associated with such weather changes. The update adds rain and fog for existing maps, along with a new winter-themed map, and adds more public transportation options.

According to the press release, Snowfall includes:

Now is the Winter of This Content: Rain and fog for existing maps, plus a new "Winter" map theme with snow and all of its challenges
The Streetcars You Desire: Expanded public transportation options, including easier management of existing lines - and Trams, a new system demanded by fans
World Warmth, Too: Cold weather increases demands for electricity, unless new water-based heat systems are in place
Plowers to the People: Build a snowplow depot to keep traffic flowing during winter weather, and employ new road maintenance systems to keep your streets in shape
New Chirps: #yeahthereare

"Players who own Snowfall will get to face new challenges such as ensuring that their city infrastructure can handle seasonal heating demands - and, when the snow starts falling, that the roads can stay clear," the press release reads. "New snowplow services will be required to prevent traffic from freezing in place, while new all-weather trams and expanded public transit options can help residents and visitors alike get around town - and visit the new winter parks and landmarks available in Snowfall."

[gallery=5440]

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
I've always dreamed of a city builder with this type of feature.

Also, are they done doing victory laps around Simcity's corpse yet or are they planning to go another round?

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
W-w-w-wait! Hold the phone! Cease your actions. Hold your horses. Stop, hammer time.

They actually listen to their fans? The developer is taking fan input into consideration? What black magic is this?

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Renegade-pizza said:
W-w-w-wait! Hold the phone! Cease your actions. Hold your horses. Stop, hammer time.

They actually listen to their fans? The developer is taking fan input into consideration? What black magic is this?
Yeah, this is pretty much the (now) usual Paradox Dlc-policy. Lot's of medium-sized dlc's with features and improvements that the community requested. A few people don't like it, because to them all dlc is bad dlc, but I personally like it a lot, since it tends to make allready good games just better and better as time goes on.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Amaror said:
Renegade-pizza said:

Yeah, this is pretty much the (now) usual Paradox Dlc-policy. Lot's of medium-sized dlc's with features and improvements that the community requested. A few people don't like it, because to them all dlc is bad dlc, but I personally like it a lot, since it tends to make allready good games just better and better as time goes on.
You are correct sir/madam/mole-person. I'm still following the Jimquisition, so its easy to become jaded with all the crap that AAA publishers try to force on their consumers and completely ignoring their complaints and requests

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
I love what they are doing to the game. It's a good time to be a citybuilder sim lover again.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
CrimsonBlack said:
But if the rivers freeze up, WHERE AM I GOING TO DUMP ALL THE POPULACE'S POOP?!
Obviously you'll have to store it in poop silos until the ice breaks, like all the real cities up in the North do.

But really, it would be fun if the pollution caused the ice to melt and made rivers downstream of large cities flow with filthy never-freezing broth. Wouldn't it be fun? Anyone?

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Fulbert said:
Obviously you'll have to store it in poop silos until the ice breaks, like all the real cities up in the North do.

But really, it would be fun if the pollution caused the ice to melt and made rivers downstream of large cities flow with filthy never-freezing broth. Wouldn't it be fun? Anyone?
I see you've visited my saved cities. The green sky is a nice touch, no?

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
Nice, was hoping for something like this. Tried a few mods that did something similar, but it just doesn't cut it.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Just a few concerns:

- Hardware requirements probably will go even higher ('even' as in for cities with over 100k people already having the speed accelaration decreasing drastically)

- More problems for traffic

- All the user-made content have to get updated again

But these are rather small issues I have. Still, I'd rather have an expansion with the full seasons-spectrum. Anyway, Cities:Skylines is like the actual proof of "Jet fuel doesn't melt steel", as in "We need cloud computing so SimCity barely runs like ass!". It DOES melt steel! You liars!