City of Heroes Players Outdo Developer

Zedzero

Feb 19, 2009
cainx10a said:
Now, WoW just need to consider 'borrowing' Paragon/NorCal's idea into their own, and WoW might actually stay at the top of the MMO Food Chain for a while ;)
It wouldn't make sense for WoW to have that kind of stuff incoporated into the game.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
As far as I'm aware, the loot is simply money, but it gets greater as you make the mission more difficult. So its possible to make a farm type level, but you'd have to be careful not to have all the hero level badguys on you at once.

CoH was my first MMO and still one of my favourates, the only downside it ever had for me was the population. The missions are no more samey and grindy then any other MMO, and the variety of badguys made somewhat more sence then identical wolves that are all slightly different due to being in another area...

My mates are all on about resubbing to Heroes so my log on my old account too. I miss my Zombie/Dark control MM and my lvl 50 claws/regen hero :D

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
I'll say this: CoH was the most impressive and immersive MMO I've ever played; it takes a lot for me to be able to get past that iron curtain of animation lag and skill buffs to feel enthralled with what I'm playing. That, and the amazingly detailed character creation, were what spurred me into playing all the way up to L30, which is a pretty mean feat for ANY online game.
That said, the game was extremely, painfully, noticeably redundant. Every - single - mission consisted of 'go here, kill these guys inside this building, leave'. Sometimes you had to kill lots of guys. Sometimes you had to kill one guy in particular. SOMETIMES YOU GOT TO DO SIX BUILDINGS IN A ROW.
It makes me wonder, then, how much leeway the mission architect allows. Could it maybe just amount to thirty-thousand more 'enter-kill-leave' missions? Somehow I think so...

Oh well. It's definitely a step in the right direction ^^

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Sparrow Tag said:
Hmmm. I keep hearing good things about this game. Does it have membership fees? And if so, are they worth it?
The game now costs $30 (both Heroes and Villains included), a free month with that and then $15 each month after that. Fairly standard for an MMO, and the advantage over WoW is that there are no $40 expansions that create glass ceilings for players who don't want to pay.

Speaking as someone who has actually played this for a few years and even created a map with this latest update, most of that 20,00+ missions is pure, 100% GARBAGE. The first thing a lot of players tried to do with this new system is abuse it: farming maps mostly, plus a few "trap maps" where the player is swarmed and killed before they can hit the exit button.

There's a ton of freaking aamazing stuff out there though, but the good stuff makes up 15, maybe 25% of what's being released... the rest is for farming or self-indulgent fan-wankery. I've already had to report a few maps to the devs for having copyrighted material in them... one guy tried to rip of "Left4Dead," and another made a carbon-copy of "Hellboy."

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
This should be a hint to all future MMO devs, let the community make your missions, there better and you don't have to work, and then you can work on other things, like detail and gameplay. Maybe even hold a contest to see who's missions will make it into the final cut when the game is released

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Damn, that settles it. I told a friend that I might get this (I hate MMOs, but this one was the only one for which I've ever had FUN), but now? Now it's necessary.

TheRockNRolla

Apr 9, 2009
Wow. That's amazing. I started playing City of Heroes once the architect patch went and found myself enjoying it, and while I haven't met that many heroes/villains, I'm having a lot of fun with it. I might have to try the architect thing out very soon.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
Sparrow Tag said:
Hmmm. I keep hearing good things about this game. Does it have membership fees? And if so, are they worth it?
Ahh... For one month its worth it. For me atlesat.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Hmm...Maybe I should return to this.

City of Heroes is still my favourite MMO of all time, even if it had it's problems. If my accounts still there my green Iron Man rip off would be waiting for me...

RonHiler

Sep 16, 2004
DaxStrife said:
Speaking as someone who has actually played this for a few years and even created a map with this latest update, most of that 20,00+ missions is pure, 100% GARBAGE. The first thing a lot of players tried to do with this new system is abuse it: farming maps mostly, plus a few "trap maps" where the player is swarmed and killed before they can hit the exit button.
Hmmm, no thanks.

This just cemented it, I will never return to CoH (and I played there for a couple of years and had good times before it got old).

I prefer my content be made by those who know what they are doing, i.e. the professionals. I don't want to wade through 5,000 dungeons worth of crap to get to the one decent one made by a fan. Same reason I don't play player-made dungeons for doom, half life, et al. Been there done that it was one pile of junk after another.

I sincerely hope the MMOG I play now NEVER goes down this path. Nothing good can come of it.

Droids_Rule

Mar 26, 2009
I played CoH for about two years, and only left recently because of boredom. I'm excited to come back someday in the near future though; this new architect looks like fun. :)

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Zeeky_Santos said:
cainx10a said:
Now, WoW just need to consider 'borrowing' Paragon/NorCal's idea into their own, and WoW might actually stay at the top of the MMO Food Chain for a while ;)
isn't wow already at the top of the MMO food chain? they've got like 13M players or something, pretty crazy.
They are. What I meant was that giving players an editor to build quests and dungeons would be beneficial as you can already see in CoH/CoV.

Pumpkin_Eater

Mar 17, 2009
Cousin_IT said:
I hear the future crys of many a potentially redundant story & mission developer in my ears...actually I think im just being overdramatic :D
That's the norm for MMO quests anyway though.

Feb 13, 2008
Now this I actually love, and that's half the problem.

I actually wrote a full mission arc about two years ago and posted it to the forums. Problem is that if I did it now, I'd be at it for at least a week. (As in not sleeping)

And given how tough it is to search through servers on Steam, how the hell would you find a great episode on there when some are gonna be just 'meh'.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
And given how tough it is to search through servers on Steam, how the hell would you find a great episode on there when some are gonna be just 'meh'.
Unless they've already implemented the system, letting people grade the episodes is one way.

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
I never got into MUDs, but I know many of them had a self-adjusting social hierarchy where being an upstanding player and community member would eventually lead to you being offered some editing and/or admin rights. After you had shown (through good edits) that you can do the job, you would be given more power to edit. Why would this not work in a game today?

Joeaverage

Apr 20, 2009
In every single game I've seen that had a large modding community, someone made better stuff than the professional developers. All it takes is some kind of rating system and it's easy to get past the garbage.