Civ V GOTY, Torchlight 2, Witcher 2 or Mark of the Ninja

Lord Garnaat

Apr 10, 2012
Having never played the other games, I can tell you that Civ 5 is a fantastic game that you should definitely play at some point. Easily the best in the series, provided that you get the Gods and Kings expansion pack with it.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
RhombusHatesYou said:
Buy the DRM-free version of The Witcher 2 EE from gog.com so all the money stays in the CD Projekt/CD Projekt RED/GOG family and support an online distro that has abandoned regional pricing.
This. Always go with GOG.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I say go with Witcher 2. I played Torchlight 2 and I find it no different then all those loot type rpg's I've played. Infact I much prefer old games like Titan Quest over it. Just because Torchlight 2 is new does not make it a better game I think, the story is non existent so all it has to rely on is kill loot level which other games do better. Torchlight 2 simply broke into the mainstream for some reason, there's better loot based rpg's out there if you take a look.

Christopher Fisher

Nov 29, 2012
Zeckt said:
I say go with Witcher 2. I played Torchlight 2 and I find it no different then all those loot type rpg's I've played. Infact I much prefer old games like Titan Quest over it. Just because Torchlight 2 is new does not make it a better game I think, the story is non existent so all it has to rely on is kill loot level which other games do better. Torchlight 2 simply broke into the mainstream for some reason, there's better loot based rpg's out there if you take a look.
Titan Quest was alright, but it's combat was far too slow (something which really bothers me in these type of games), its skills were boring, the boss battles were boring, and it didn't have randomly generated maps, ruining any replayability for it. Torchlight 2 isn't anything particularly new, but what it does, it does amazingly well. Everything is structured to keep you hooked; you find just enough loot, level up just enough, and the difficulty is very well balanced.

I would definitely go with Torchlight 2. The Witcher 2 is a great game as well. Some of its mechanics can be a little intimidating at first--traps can make a huge difference, potions have an elaborate mechanism to create and consume, and overall, it's just a very complex RPG. Personally though, I'd probably rather play Mark of the Ninja, but that's just because I absolutely love stealth games and Mark of the Ninja was just such an incredible stealth game.

Torchlight 2 can easily give you 70+ hours.

The Witcher 2 can easily last 35+ hours--more if you replay it, which is recommended as the second act completely changes depending on your choices.

Mark of the Ninja will last about 7 hours, but it has a new game+

Lever

Jun 30, 2011
I'd go for Torchlight 2, if you like ARPG's of the hack and slash style. I'd also recommend The Witcher 2, but I'd recommend getting it through gog.com right here >http://www.gog.com/gamecard/the_witcher_2 , It's 11.99 at the moment, which is a little more than the steam version, but there's no drm. I should also mention that Torchlight 2 will eat your time at an alarming rate...

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I don't know about Mark of The Ninja. But I played other games on that list and I love them.

The Witcher 2 is a pretty long and enjoyable single player RPG. If you like good stories, interesting characters and choices that actually matter then get The Witcher 2. Morality system is awesome in this game because all you do is choose what you think is right or wrong. There are no stupid morality bars like in Bioware games. Morality can't be measured. It is subjective and that's how it's done in The Witcher. It is an organic part of storytelling. You simply make your choice and the story changes accordingly.

Torchlight 2, while fun to play alone, is so much more enjoyable when you play it with somebody else. I'm a single player gamer, but even I have to admit that co-op in Torchlight 2 is a blast.

Civ 5...If you want a Civ game, get Civ 4. Much deeper experience. But that game destroys lives. It's way too addictive. And then it gets boring and you end up hating it.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
If you love the flow of mechanics more than anything else, I just have to recommend Torchlight II. That's been my gaming binge for the past month and the reason is that everything in the game feels satisfying to perform. Killing monsters is entertaining, dungeon-diving is great, and even inventory-management is a surprisingly nice break from the combat. Another great factor is that the game will run on almost anything, with my $500 laptop able to play the game at a nice ~40-60 FPS.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I would recommend Witcher 2 out of the 3 personally.One of the best RPG's I have played in years back in 2011.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Those are all good games. Mark of the Ninja is my game of the year, honestly. It's mechanically flawless. It's definitely the best stealth game I've played in a long time. My first playthrough took about 8-9 hours and going through a NG+ is definitely worth it because you can replay the levels differently (Basically: Murder, No Kills, or Terror. Terror is my favorite, as you just scare the hell out of guards and can make them kill other guards and then themselves). There are different "tattoos" (unlocked by completing challenges) which further compliment these styles of play. Yeah, fantastic game.

Civ V is good, but the thing is that it is still greatly outdone by its predecessor. It's hard for me to recommend it on those grounds.

Torchlight II is also one of my favorite games of the year. As far as the gameplay goes, it is among the elite ARPGs. Some prefer Titan Quest, and I can understand that too. Still, it's fantastic.

The Witcher 2 is great as well. I really don't know if it actually scratches the RPG itch so much for me as it scratches that cinematic action game itch. Whatever you call it, it's fantastic at what it does. It makes some good use of narrative choice and offers some welcome challenge.

So I'd recommend Civ V the least just because Civ IV is still better. Among the other three? Just whatever you want. Mark of the Ninja is my favorite among them, but I can't say you'll have made the wrong choice if you go with the other two.