Civil War Director Says Bringing Netflix Heroes to Infinity Wars Is "Complicated"

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Civil War Director Says Bringing Netflix Heroes to Infinity Wars Is "Complicated"

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1015/1015599.png

In a recent sit-down at Comic Con Experience, Captain America: Civil War co-director Anthony Russo laid out the complex realities of bringing all of Marvel's heroes together on the big screen.

With this year's Avengers: Age of Ultron featuring some 15 characters in the "top-billed cast" alone [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2395427/], you'd think that Marvel would have a hard time finding any more room to pack cameos and bit parts into their future cinematic efforts. Masters of synergy though they have become, it's safe to say that the MCU is reaching a critical mass in regards to the pure number of superheroes that occupy it, and the results (at least recently) have largely felt less like fully-realized stories and more like 3-hour cross-promotions for their next "chapter" or "phase" of products.

And yet, there is still a demand for more. Next year's Captain America: Civil War, for instance, will feature an astonishing 16 comic book characters making appearances -- from Steve Rogers himself to Antman all the way down to Brock Rumlow/Crossbones (played by the always excellent Frank Grillo). How directors Anthony and Joe Russo plan on giving each of these characters something to chew on remains to be seen, but in any case, fans are already wondering if they are going to be able to somehow up the cameo ante in the Avengers: Infinity Wars sequels planned for 2018 and 2019, respectively.

During a recent appearance at Comic Con Experience 2015, Anthony was asked by Brazilian publication Super Interessante about the likelihood of seeing any of Netflix's Marvel superheroes -- Jessica Jones or the upcoming Luke Cage [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165320-Gallery-First-Set-Images-From-Netflixs-Luke-Cage], for instance -- in Infinity Wars.

"It's complicated," Russo responded.

"When we start to serialize the telling of stories it's difficult. You have to have a lot of control and focus on the course of history. The films are controlled by a group led by Kevin Feige, so they function as a unit."

"Other products, even if they are from Marvel, are controlled by others," he continued. "Then there is the possibility of a crossover, but it's more complicated. It is a smaller scale version of the problem that exists when remembering that Fox holds the rights to some of Marvel's most popular characters, as does Sony and others. As storytellers, we only have control over what happens in Marvel movies, but everything is possible, Spider-Man (whose rights were held by Sony) became possible!"

It's a pretty understandable setback, given the incredible breadth of Marvel's recent outputs. With 23 movies and TV shows currently in various stages of development, it seems that Marvel execs might be tripping over their own red tape when it comes to the legality of future crossover efforts. Still, if you think they are running out of ways to keep fans flooding to the theaters, then Age of Ultron's 1.45 billion dollar return would like to have a word with you.

Source: Comic Book Resource [http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/netflix-heroes-inclusion-in-avengers-infinity-war-would-be-complicated]

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I'll say it's a good call. I've seen movies that have way too many characters in them and they swiftly fall apart. Better to keep the focus than try to please everybody.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
And now we brush up against the looming danger of the MCU: that it might start to collapse under its own weight eventually. 23 different movies and TV shows since 2008? I always felt that the simplicity of Phase 1 (4 leadup movies then Avengers 1) was part of what made it so accessible. No decade long backstory to scare people off, but now we might be hitting that problem again soon. Makes me a little nervous...

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Just have one cameo in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and then have Coulson show up in one of the movies. There, you've tied them in enough for fanboys to be happy without making things overcomplicated.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
All I know is that it'll be close to impossible to do Thanos' character justice in Infinity Wars unless we get to focus on his perspective. He was the protagonist of the original story the movies will be based on (despite being the villain). The plot of Infinity Gauntlet was a character study, so the entire plot hinges on his arc. Whenever Marvel uses an ensemble cast the villain almost always turns out as an underdeveloped cardboard cutout.

I will be livid if they let that happen the Thanos.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
What, you guys didn't actually think Agents of Shield or Jessica Jones would be in a movie, did you? Next you'll be saying The Flash and Green Arrow will be in Batman vs. Superman.
No.

The Netflix and Hulu superhero shows are to either keep production workers under contract between movies, or to keep superheroes on the feeds of geek websites until the next movie. That the shows are good I honestly believe is irrelevant to them(the creators) so long as we keep talking about heroes.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wait, was people really expecting the Heroes for Hire to appear in the Infinite Wars?

Given how that film is going to be the biggest crossover of ALL Marvel characters (not just the heroes) to date, I highly doubt they can fit anymore in other than a brief cameo/ easter egg at most.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Just imagine Ms Marvel and Jessica Jones meeting.

"So, mind control, it fucking sucks, doesn't it?'.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
It is a pity. Nobody expects the TV characters to have huge parts in the movies, but even a small part would go a long way to keep the fans engaged. For example:

- Hire Ming-Na Wen and Chloe Bennet to be among the people that man the new Hellicarrier in Avengers 2. Don't give them any lines, just show them in front of the extras.
- If any movie in phase 3 has a battle scene in New York, hire Krysten Ritter, Charlie Cox or Mike Colter among the people fighting in the streets, or show Wil Traval as one of the cops. Again, no need to give them lines, just show them there.
- There has been a lot of occasions when characters are name-dropped or referred somehow before they are in MCU. Spiderman was referred in Antman, and Doctor Strange was in Winter Soldier. Again, no need to include any character, just make it so that a guy with mind control powers in New York is listed among the examples to justify registration in Civil War.

And, while we are at it... why is such a big deal for crossovers in the other direction? I know Agents of SHIELD doesn't have the budget to hire RDJ even as a cameo, but Ironman, Hulk and Vision are 100% CGI. If they don't have voices, they don't even have to bother "the big actors" to make them appear on screen.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
hermes200 said:
It is a pity. Nobody expects the TV characters to have huge parts in the movies, but even a small part would go a long way to keep the fans engaged. For example:

- Hire Ming-Na Wen and Chloe Bennet to be among the people that man the new Hellicarrier in Avengers 2. Don't give them any lines, just show them in front of the extras.
- If any movie in phase 3 has a battle scene in New York, hire Krysten Ritter, Charlie Cox or Mike Colter among the people fighting in the streets, or show Wil Traval as one of the cops. Again, no need to give them lines, just show them there.
- There has been a lot of occasions when characters are name-dropped or referred somehow before they are in MCU. Spiderman was referred in Antman, and Doctor Strange was in Winter Soldier. Again, no need to include any character, just make it so that a guy with mind control powers in New York is listed among the examples to justify registration in Civil War.

And, while we are at it... why is such a big deal for crossovers in the other direction? I know Agents of SHIELD doesn't have the budget to hire RDJ even as a cameo, but Ironman, Hulk and Vision are 100% CGI. If they don't have voices, they don't even have to bother "the big actors" to make them appear on screen.
To be fair, Vision was actually heavily makeup reliant. CGI also isn't cheap, especially to make for a one-off on a TV show.
That said, they could easily do more things along the lines of the Item 47 short, where a bit of debris from the big hero fight results in some random person robbing a bank with alien lasers.

I'd prefer more references in the MC:U, along the lines of "purple mind control man" being an influence for registration. Honestly, I'd rather see more of the Luke/DD/JJ cast show up in Civil War, as it seems that story would affect them more. With Infinity Wars, it's almost too large scale. I'm reminded of all the times Spidey's actually tried to say "Nope, this is beyond my league" (before getting pulled back in since he was the most popular selling comic book). During that arc, they shouldn't be focused on what Matt Murdoch's been doing, but rather how they're going to take on a rampaging god. Blind ninja might not be much help there.

I loved the Doctor Strange reference in Winter Soldier, and would rather see that technique expanded on - one line and we move on to the current plot, not the fanservice. If it doesn't make sense to bring the characters in beyond generating a squeal from the audience, then don't do it. If you have to pay more attention to wrangling schedules and balancing various signing agreements, just produce the movie that's intended.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
They really don't need to even have actual cameos. It's cool enough to just reference things going on as a reminder it's all one universe.

I was disappointed they didn't really use background news reports or magazine front covers in Jessica Jones/Daredevil to mention events transpiring elsewhere as its a simple technique that works.

There's no need to necessarily link JJ or DD into the films yet I don't think though. Maybe once they become the 'defenders' it would make more sense.

I WOULD like to see some shield agent characters eventually showing up on netflix series. Coulson could very easily make some cameos and still keep with the tone of their shows I feel.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Zontar said:
Just have one cameo in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and then have Coulson show up in one of the movies. There, you've tied them in enough for fanboys to be happy without making things overcomplicated.
I would like to see Coulson make his return to the movies. I think they missed a perfect chance in Age of Ultron--have him on the bridge with Fury or something. It doesn't need to be a big role or anything, but it's kind of hard to believe (like they want us to) that SHIELD is part of this universe when they won't allow the crossover to happen in the other direction.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Sniper Team 4 said:
Zontar said:
I would like to see Coulson make his return to the movies. I think they missed a perfect chance in Age of Ultron--have him on the bridge with Fury or something. It doesn't need to be a big role or anything, but it's kind of hard to believe (like they want us to) that SHIELD is part of this universe when they won't allow the crossover to happen in the other direction.
That stems from Joss Whedon being a bit of a prick about the show. He killed off the character he had no part in creating that fans liked, then threw a hissy fit when his brother was made responsible for creating a television series based around him. Now that he's gone we're more likely to see him again.

Phoenix1213

Sep 2, 2009
Just have the Netflix heroes and and S.H.I.E.L.D show up on a video screen for like 30 seconds.

" You guys go save New York, and you guys go save LA. WE'LLLLL go save the universe!!!!!"

Annnnd scene!

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Everyone seems to be forgetting Daredevil (You know the first Marvel Netflix series?) but to be fair both series (Daredevil and Jones) have been self-contained and grounded with only references to the new york incident. To have them just show up in Civil War would be out of place for heroes that haven't been approached by S.H.I.E.L.D or anyone else.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
I don't think the movies will necessarily get too crowded, RDJ's already on his way out - it's been publicly discussed, as too Ruffalo has mentioned he's not signed to play any more Hulk appearances and we all know that Cap't dies - it's as much part of his character as the red, white & blue uniform or his shield.

Similarly other characters will move out and new characters will take their place, leaving the Marvel cinematic universe with a short life span - so you won't need to have watched from Iron Man onwards to get the film, as most of the stars have only been in the last handful.

Also, so far, they've all worked fairly well as standalone's anyway, so that particular argument is largely moot. I've been to see all the films and inevitable ended up going with someone who hasn't seen the others but enjoyed the films nonetheless - did they enjoy all the shout-outs I did, no, but then, it's like those whom enjoy the movies but haven't actually read the books, there's enough there to captivate their imagination without knowing that the particular scene is shot for shot from issue xxy..

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Silentpony said:
What, you guys didn't actually think Agents of Shield or Jessica Jones would be in a movie, did you? Next you'll be saying The Flash and Green Arrow will be in Batman vs. Superman.
No.

The Netflix and Hulu superhero shows are to either keep production workers under contract between movies, or to keep superheroes on the feeds of geek websites until the next movie. That the shows are good I honestly believe is irrelevant to them(the creators) so long as we keep talking about heroes.
Not sure if you're joking or not but The Flash *will* be appearing in Batman v Superman along with Aquaman and Cyborg.