Civilization: Beyond Earth Gets New Screens, Designer Interview

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Civilization: Beyond Earth Gets New Screens, Designer Interview

Our EIC Greg Tito not only got to chat with the lead designers of Sid Meier's new Civ in space game, but he also got to play the game for 50 turns ... twice.

E3 2014 is right around the corner, which means we start getting some early looks at games. Well, Greg did anyway, the lucky stiff. And the first one he gets to brag about is Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth. While the game is somewhat a spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri, Greg said his playthrough of the first 50 turns of the game felt more like Civ V than AC [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e32014/11475-Civilization-Beyond-Earth-Hands-On-Sci-Fi-Skinned-Strategy].

You can click that link to read his extensive preview, but we know you will also want to see the screenshots that came with it. And below and behold, here they are:

[gallery=2514]

Greg also got to talk to the co-lead designers on the game Will Miller and David McDonough, both of who gave props to AC as the inspiration for their design. Check out the full video interview:

[video=9226 autoplay=0]

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I like the sound of Purity. Suffer not the xenos to live! We shall rule the skies with our mighty sky fortresses!

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
I'm liking what I'm hearing so far. Still not sure what the whole 'planet is another player/force in the game' idea is about, but I'm sure that will be explained.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
latenightapplepie said:
I'm liking what I'm hearing so far. Still not sure what the whole 'planet is another player/force in the game' idea is about, but I'm sure that will be explained.
if you played original Alpha Centauri, it had animals (like barbarians for Civ games) that imrpved and learned along with you, eventually as you polute the planet they grow more restless and in the end you find out that the planet is sentient and is going through some phoenix like death stage. its more compelex than that, but the planet was more than just the planet in Alpha Centauri.