Civilization: Beyond Earth Screenshots Leaked - Update

Bindal

New member
May 14, 2012
1,320
0
0
Instead of "Civilization IN space", it is "Civilizations WITH space"?
Well, I might take a look at it once it's out.
 

Lur-King

New member
Sep 22, 2012
59
0
0
Am I the only one who thought of an Iron Sky mode?

At least with this announcement I have time to plan for my inevitable hibernation for the remainder of my life. Ironically, Civilization takes me away from any society what-so-ever ;-;
 

Jockstrap

New member
Sep 26, 2010
4
0
0
PC gamer have just put up a pretty big article with an interview of the devs in it if anyone hasn't seen it already.

http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/2014/04/12/civilization-beyond-earth-interview-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-factions-aliens-technology-and-more/

They sound pretty excited about it and they seem to have made a lot of progress with it. Its refreshing to hear devs talking about systems that are already in and working rather than ones that are on a drawing board.
 

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
8,977
0
0
Looks really similar to Alpha Centauri. When all the spaceships were launching in the trailer I got pretty hyped.
 

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
2,821
0
0
MustResistHypeMustResistHypeMustResistHypeMustResistHypeMustResistHype...


... fuck.

Alpha Centauri was my favorite Civ style game and the only one I play now and then. I'm rooting for this to do well.

[small]Please don't go. The Drones need you. They look up to you.[/small]​
 

lostlambda

New member
May 19, 2011
99
0
0
I only hope that is not one of those fake leaks that we have been seeing lately like the boarderlands game or another fallout 4 thing. that being said if this is real someone put me into a coma until it comes out.
 

ricree

New member
Mar 8, 2014
21
0
0
Anti-American Eagle said:
All I can say is: If this is real (and please let it be), let there be an option to run this on a single planet (which shall be referred to as planet) and have the alpha centauri factions as options to play as and against. As not having an alpha centauri mode would be a complete shame.

Edit: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/11268
Assuming the game is properly moddable, I'm sure someone will make an Alpha Centauri mod before too long.
 

deth2munkies

New member
Jan 28, 2009
1,066
0
0
This won't be anywhere near Alpha Centauri, it's Civ 6 with a new tileset.

The setting was what made Alpha Centauri the game it was. The factions, the personalities, the philosophies and how they clashed. None of that is going to be present in this game, and what there will be is a pale reflection of what Alpha Centauri was. No one can make that game again because they'd be paralyzed with fear about its sales forecast.

Don't jump to conclusions, Civ + Space is not Alpha Centauri any more than Starcraft was Warcraft in space...it's much more sophisticated.
 

The_Darkness

New member
Nov 8, 2010
546
0
0
Having just watched that trailer... Am I the only person now really wanting a crossover between this and XCOM? Especially since they're both owned by 2K and Firaxis at this point? Maybe you get halfway through a campaign, and learn that your enemies are the Ethereals...
 

Issurru

New member
Jun 13, 2010
582
0
0
So THIS is what happens when I get all my tech victories in Civilization, good to know :p

really excited for this and the next Galatic Civ, always amazing games

P.S Dibs on Space Samurai's
 

chimeracreator

New member
Jun 15, 2009
300
0
0
deth2munkies said:
This won't be anywhere near Alpha Centauri, it's Civ 6 with a new tileset.

The setting was what made Alpha Centauri the game it was. The factions, the personalities, the philosophies and how they clashed.
Based on that trailer, that would be a safe bet, but you could also read the interview with two of the developers where they talk about three distinct ideologies, various factions and quests tied to events in the world and tech tree. http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/12/civilization-beyond-earth-interview-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-factions-aliens-technology-and-more/
 

themilo504

New member
May 9, 2010
731
0
0
I can already predict that no matter how good the game is everybody will say it?s not as good as Alpha Centari, which is odd since I expect this game to have a interface that isn?t completely awful.
 

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
18,847
0
0
while civ is clearly a good game Ive never gotten into it

but hey SPAAAAACE mabye this will do it for me

The_Darkness said:
Having just watched that trailer... Am I the only person now really wanting a crossover between this and XCOM? Especially since they're both owned by 2K and Firaxis at this point? Maybe you get halfway through a campaign, and learn that your enemies are the Ethereals...
for some reason I can see many sequels to XCOM wherein as progress into space faring and colonisation while there's an ongoing war with the aliens...going from alien invasion to pure sci fi/space opera

so you know..mass effect/star craft
 

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
314
0
0
chimeracreator said:
deth2munkies said:
This won't be anywhere near Alpha Centauri, it's Civ 6 with a new tileset.

The setting was what made Alpha Centauri the game it was. The factions, the personalities, the philosophies and how they clashed.
Based on that trailer, that would be a safe bet, but you could also read the interview with two of the developers where they talk about three distinct ideologies, various factions and quests tied to events in the world and tech tree. http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/12/civilization-beyond-earth-interview-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-factions-aliens-technology-and-more/
Just three?

That is half-assed development at its finest. What made SMAC good was the sense of actually defining your faction based on your decisions and ethos, whether or not that was reflected in gameplay the game did a good job of creating that atmosphere.
 

RandV80

New member
Oct 1, 2009
1,507
0
0
We'll have to see it in action but I really like the idea of a 'tech web' instead of a 'tech tree', and if it works well here I'd love to see it implemented in Civilization VI. Keep in mind the usual Sid Meier release schedule here. Launch a new Civilization game, release one or two expansions, then release a spin off game using the prior Civilization assets before starting on the next iteration. So Civ VI should already be in production, and I wouldn't be surprised if we get a release date within a year or two.

Anyways back to my Civ VI wish list, what keeps me playing Civ over and over is the fact that you can finish your game, pick a new Civ/Leader and random map type, and have a very different experience. While they always have the historical Earth map option available playing just that would get boring pretty quick, so wouldn't it be awesome if we could do the same thing with the historical earth technology progression? Yeah you can mix things up a little bit, but ultimately it all follows the same general path and strategic resources follow the same progression. Iron & horses -> coal -> oil -> uranium -> aluminum. But what if you start a game that doesn't necessarily have Earth resources? Maybe you progress to a certain point but then find there's no oil, so rather than tanks destroyers and planes technology focuses on a more steampunk progression with ironclads steam tanks and zeppelins. Or like they're planning with Beyond Earth there could be alien resources that allow for different types of progression. And of course in the same way you can choose an 'earth map' you could still choose 'earth resources' to play your game.

I realize that's kind of a tall order to ask for, as it introduces so many different variable permutations that it could be really hard/expensive to create. But they gotta do something new for the game and the modding community is certainly able to do it in bits and pieces.
 

tendaji

New member
Aug 15, 2008
378
0
0
PuckFuppet said:
chimeracreator said:
deth2munkies said:
This won't be anywhere near Alpha Centauri, it's Civ 6 with a new tileset.

The setting was what made Alpha Centauri the game it was. The factions, the personalities, the philosophies and how they clashed.
Based on that trailer, that would be a safe bet, but you could also read the interview with two of the developers where they talk about three distinct ideologies, various factions and quests tied to events in the world and tech tree. http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/12/civilization-beyond-earth-interview-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-factions-aliens-technology-and-more/
Just three?

That is half-assed development at its finest. What made SMAC good was the sense of actually defining your faction based on your decisions and ethos, whether or not that was reflected in gameplay the game did a good job of creating that atmosphere.

From an interview given at PAX

"Before you land on a new planet and start shaping humanity?s destiny, you must first equip your expedition. Referred to as "the seeding," this is an expanded version of your civilization selection in previous games.

In Beyond Earth, not only do you choose which faction (read: civilization) to play, but also which spacecraft to take, what cargo to carry, who to bring, and the type of planet you want to inhabit. Each selection you make will greatly impact the start of your game: you could carry high-quality cargo that grants additional funds up-front, for instance, or hard-working, production-oriented colonists who build structures faster."
So clearly its more than just the three ideologies, there is more behind how the game starts off with your decisions that you end up making.
 

josemlopes

New member
Jun 9, 2008
3,950
0
0
Really like the cover, I would even like a poster of it without the logos of the companies (easy to fix in Photoshop)
 

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
11,597
0
0
If this is as good as Alpha Centuri, I'll buy the shit out of it.

*plays Alpha Centuri*

*thank God for GoG*
 

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
8,407
0
0
all of my wants. i always believed that thing thing most missing in Civilization is ability to continue your game past present, alpha centauri style. the game has a 6000 years of past, but 0 years of future. that was its biggest flaw, and this may just fix it. This is a game to get.

Anti-American Eagle said:
All I can say is: If this is real (and please let it be), let there be an option to run this on a single planet (which shall be referred to as planet) and have the alpha centauri factions as options to play as and against. As not having an alpha centauri mode would be a complete shame.

Edit: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/11268
If its going to be missing im pretty sure modders would add it quite fast. Civilization has quite amazing modding community still.

RicoADF said:
Alpha Centari was literally this, Civilization after earth, and it was made by Sid as well. So basically play some Alpha Centari and you'll see roughtly where something like this would go (just the new one would be a Civ V customisation rather than the earlier civ AC was based off).
AC is a great game, but the UI is severely dated. all the rightclicking and necessity of memorizing shortcuts does not fit modern civ style players. im sure it was great when it released (sadly i only played civ 2 at that time and wasnt aware of AC till something like 2008) but its no longer an easy control scheme.

deth2munkies said:
This won't be anywhere near Alpha Centauri, it's Civ 6 with a new tileset.

The setting was what made Alpha Centauri the game it was. The factions, the personalities, the philosophies and how they clashed. None of that is going to be present in this game, and what there will be is a pale reflection of what Alpha Centauri was. No one can make that game again because they'd be paralyzed with fear about its sales forecast.

Don't jump to conclusions, Civ + Space is not Alpha Centauri any more than Starcraft was Warcraft in space...it's much more sophisticated.
And that is fine. They should try to copy paste the previous game with new interface for a quick buck. they should make a good new game in same style (civilization after tech victory). and looks like thats what they are doing.

themilo504 said:
I can already predict that no matter how good the game is everybody will say it?s not as good as Alpha Centari, which is odd since I expect this game to have a interface that isn?t completely awful.
while AC interface was pretty shitty, its not all there is to that game.

RandV80 said:
Anyways back to my Civ VI wish list, what keeps me playing Civ over and over is the fact that you can finish your game, pick a new Civ/Leader and random map type, and have a very different experience. While they always have the historical Earth map option available playing just that would get boring pretty quick, so wouldn't it be awesome if we could do the same thing with the historical earth technology progression? Yeah you can mix things up a little bit, but ultimately it all follows the same general path and strategic resources follow the same progression. Iron & horses -> coal -> oil -> uranium -> aluminum.
I rarely use random map and often use earth map. i like doing earth map on marathon with different factions. i also love the other premade maps such as Africa map. especially ones where there is some resource scarsity which means not everyone has full resources and fights for resources exist. I also like to mod the game where i could take earth map on "massive" put in 30+ civilization and see things evolve. trust me, no two games are identical there.
I do agree that there are some strategic path for echnology that makes it somewhat linear. altrough sometimes i roleplay a leader such as agressive one i would play as military first, but if often just means im hurting myself and thats about it.