Civilization V: Brave New World Preview - Shaka Returns

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Civilization V: Brave New World Preview - Shaka Returns

With Brave New World you?ll get entirely new game mechanics, loads of new units, buildings, and leaders, and Plasma Rifle-wielding XCOM units for your late game delight.

Read Full Article

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I'm disappointed now, when I saw the title I thought it might be an expansion based on the world of Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Hell yes The Zulus are back! Civ isn't the same without Shake.

Really like the sound of the changes to culture victories, hopefully it will limit the boring run down the turn until utopia project is finished

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
July 12th is too far away... or too close if I want to play another game of civ before it gets here...

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
Finally! Portugal! I always wondered why one of the most powerful empires of the 1500s never really got much if any of a role in Civ games. Back in the day not only were we NOT a part of Spain. We were their worst rival and a major thorn in their side.

That said, I have to get back on the Civ V horse once I get a new PC. And sort out my Steam account.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
The new diplomacy mechanic sounds really good. Greece, Russia and England have been declaring war on everyone without consequence for too long.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh, love the idea of the history being important, being able to have archaeologists visit battle sites. Though, wonder how the game picks which ones, just takes them at random, or where lots of units were destroyed in a small area in a short space of time.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Personally I always prefer a peach full victory over boring old conquer everybody I even find it easier since defending is much easier than attacking.
What I?m trying to say is that for me peach full players like me this expansion LOOKS SWEET.

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
So how is the old culture system going to work then? It provided abilities that were game-changing and added an extra layer of strategy and replayability. I'm very excited about all the new features, but I am also hoping they maintain the old way to culture victory somehow.

yamy

Slayer of Hot Dogs
Aug 2, 2010
As someone who just finished XCOM a few days ago I can't wait for this to come out and I get to squish those pesky aliens into plasma dust-

Wait there aren't any actual aliens?

Someone needs to make an Alien Invasion mod for the end game, complete with alien abduction and terror missions. Condition to win is surviving the invasion and contributing the most to the XCOM project.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
Now I just want to see: Canada, Australia and Vietnam added and I'll be happy. :)

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
We know the unique stuff for the Zulu, by the way.

Their UA gives them -50% maintenance on melee units and +25% EXP gains. Their UU is the impi, a pikeman replacement that opens up its attacks with a throwing spear before closing to melee range. Their UB is a barracks replacement, and it grants created units free promotions for flanking attacks and attacks against gunpowder units.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
The images did not come out right on my screen. The side overlay for things like ZP and other shows were ontop of the images, which were very large and stretching beyond my screen length.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Sounds reasonably awesome. I was rather underwhelmed by the last expansion. Religion and espionage didn't really do much, so it felt more like a slightly larger patch than an actual expansion. But this sounds like it really adds things to the game rather than just making minor changes.

NewYork_Comedian said:
So how is the old culture system going to work then? It provided abilities that were game-changing and added an extra layer of strategy and replayability. I'm very excited about all the new features, but I am also hoping they maintain the old way to culture victory somehow.
I think the idea is that culture still works in exactly the same way, except you can't win just by collecting it. So all the abilities are still there, but you have to do more than just sit around waiting to passively generate a win.