Civilization V Coming to PC This Fall

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Civilization V Coming to PC This Fall

2K has announced that Firaxis Games is working on Civilization V, the PC-only sequel to 2005's Civilization IV [http://www.amazon.com/Sid-Meiers-Civilization-IV-Complete-Pc/dp/B0026EGO3A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279563069&sr=1-1], set for release this fall.

If you were a little disappointed in 2008 when Firaxis revealed that Civilization Revolution, the last title in Sid Meier's long-running strategy series, would be console-only, then you'll be happy to learn that the developer is returning to its PC roots for the next Civilization game.

In addition to featuring improved graphics over its predecessor, 2K says Civ V will add new elements to the series, including a more intuitive interface (with "trusted advisors" who will assist you with unfamiliar aspects of the game), the addition of City States as a "new diplomatic battleground," improved combat, including the ability to bombard enemy units from a distance, and an in-game community hub that will make sharing custom levels and chatting with other Civ V players even easier.

Details are still scarce at this point - 2K hasn't even set up an official site for the game yet - but my knee-jerk assessment is that they've taken some of the more intuitive aspects of Revolution and brought them back to the platform where the game belongs. And if it plays as well as Civ IV does, then I imagine I'll be losing at least a month's worth of weekends come autumn.

Source: 2K Games

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Time to upgrade my graphics card.

I do love a good stratergy game, and this series has served me well in that regard.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I cannot wait, I loved Civ 4 to death. I played revolution spending my time wishing it was more like Civ4.

I just hope it wont need great specs so I can play it on my laptop.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Oh god, I...I think I just had an accident. You should be more careful about posting news like this. But release this fall? Hell no.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Hopefully this game won't make me be late for work again... Bah! Who am I kidding. I'll probably get fired when this comes out.

Daezd

Mar 1, 2008
WOO!

i lurve civ.

Even though I have no idea how to play I still do pretty well for myself!

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
I'll play it. I got Civ IV, spent about 4 hours with it (enough for about 2 long plays), and immediately found myself losing over and over due to it being so damn complicated. It was fun though, and if I'd given it time I would have enjoyed it more.

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
Civ 5 is a definite must-buy for me.

Might need to take a week or two off work to play it though!

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Can we get the "dying happily" picture in here? I don't have it saved.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Well, I've already expressed my enthusiasm in the first thread about this, but whatever...

Dear Mr. Meier,
how could you do this to me?! I am already a chronic insomniac, and now I will not get ANY sleep come fall. You, sir, are a monster, a draconian fiend without pity or mercy for us rest-dependent humans.
Well, I can't wait to send $50 your way though :)

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
I want to be excited, but I never fell for the series. I couldn't get past 1 hour without getting mowed down by China.