Civilization V Gets Diplomatic With Brave New World Expansion

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Civilization V Gets Diplomatic With Brave New World Expansion

The next expansion pack for Sid Meier's Civilization V adds international trade and a World Congress to the core game.

Get ready to say "just one more turn" a few hundred more times. 2K Games has announced the next expansion pack for Civilization V, which introduces several new gameplay aspects while expanding on the existing civilizations, wonders, victories, and scenarios. Civilization V: Brand New World, which is due out this summer, focuses on culture and diplomacy, and "as you move through the ages of history you will make critical decisions that will impact your relationship with other civilizations."

On top of nine new civilizations, eight wonders, four gameplay systems, and a slew of minor additions, Brave New World introduces international trade routes to the game. These allow your cities to spread religion, cultural influence, and science--while also becoming wealthy and prosperous, of course. With the need for international diplomacy heightened, a World Congress "votes on critical issues like implementing trade sanctions against rogue nations, limiting resource usage, designating host cities for the World Games, and the use of nuclear weapons."

[gallery=1144]

Brave New World also features a new lead-in to the diplomatic victory and an entirely new cultural victory. Instead of collecting social policies across five branches, as are the conditions for Civ V's current culture win, the expansion's victory conditions task you with being "the first civilization with a majority influence in all other civilizations."

Finally, two new scenarios let you act out the American Civil War or the Scramble for Africa. Scenarios are separate from the main game, with each having a unique set of rules and victory conditions. The American Civil War scenario is pretty much exactly what it sounds like: "Fight the 'War Between the States' from either the Union or Confederate side as you focus on the critical Easter theatre of operations between the capital cities of Richmond and Washington." In Scramble for Africa, you'll take on one of the colonial powers "scrambling to explore the Dark Continent" and reach its interior.

Civilization V was originally released in 2010, with its first expansion, Gods & Kings, adding religion and stealth to the game last year. Both were received [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8126-Review-Civilization-V.2], and Brave New World sounds like it could, like Gods & Kings, give fans a reason to dump another 100 or so hours into Civ V. Civilization V: Brave New World is due out in the summer of 2013 for PC and Mac.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
I hope they reintroduce Corporations. They could add another victory condition with corporations, economic victory which fits in with our modern world.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Only another 100 hours? I've hardly played Civ V yet and I'm already over 500...

Will definitely have to get this though, more Civ is more better...

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Eleuthera said:
Only another 100 hours? I've hardly played Civ V yet and I'm already over 500...

I only just picked it up on wednesday and BAM 20 hours of my life gone without me even noticing it...

Spaec

Oct 23, 2009
"In Scramble for Africa, you'll take on one of the colonial powers "scrambling to explore the Dark Continent" and reach its interior."

I am NOT really comfortable with that. I'll wait to see in how good taste it ends up being, but that's a damn thin line to walk.

Bolwing

Mar 5, 2012
Wait. Is that a Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth hussar in one of the pictures? Hmm...
EDIT: Yeah, it is. And the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth is in there too, since there's a picture of Warsaw as a capital city.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Awww man, from the name I was hoping this would be a sort of 'dystopia' pack, letting you make stuff like that nightmarish game of Civilization 2 that lasted for 10 years with the whole world being a radioactive swamp or something.

Shilefin

Aug 18, 2011
Bolwing said:
Wait. Is that a Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth hussar in one of the pictures? Hmm...
EDIT: Yeah, it is. And the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth is in there too, since there's a picture of Warsaw as a capital city.
I actually think that all of the pictures show the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth in some form. There's two polish Winged-Hussar pictures(Historygasm), and I'm willing to bet that the leader being depicted is Casimir III the Great(Granted, he wasn't the king of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, as the union between those two countries did not yet exist when he ruled, but this is Civilization, so that won't be much of a problem) with the beard and the eagles and all.

It is nice to see my lovely job-free country being represented at last, at least now I'll have some direction as to what country to play as, since I can never decide.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
SkarKrow said:
Eleuthera said:

I only just picked it up on wednesday and BAM 20 hours of my life gone without me even noticing it...
Same for me but I'm at the 70, or was it the wednesday before that? I don't know or care anymore. Also I would recommend you to pick up Galactic Civilizations 2 as well, it's basicly Civilization in space.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Vhite said:
SkarKrow said:
Eleuthera said:

Same for me but I'm at the 70, or was it the wednesday before that? I don't know or care anymore. Also I would recommend you to pick up Galactic Civilizations 2 as well, it's basicly Civilization in space.
Demo available? Cuz thats what happened with Civ 5, I played the demo for 6 hours then thought "hmmm, I shoul;d buy the full game at this rate... and rushed to the nearest store because it wasn't on sale on steam at the time (and for the same price i'd rather have a physical copy...[sub]which then inevitably required steam activation ¬_¬[/sub])

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Spaec said:
"In Scramble for Africa, you'll take on one of the colonial powers "scrambling to explore the Dark Continent" and reach its interior."

I am NOT really comfortable with that. I'll wait to see in how good taste it ends up being, but that's a damn thin line to walk.
It'll be fine if it has Michael Cain doing a voice at some point. > >

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Damn it Firaxis! How am I supposed to play other games and have a normal life if you are going to keep on releasing awesome Civ V expansions?

Anyways, I now have my summer plans in order.

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
Dammit, I still haven't even bought Gods and Kings yet. When I manage to buy both, I won't even recognize the game anymore.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Awesome. Though I hope this is the last expansion before they get working on Civ6, so it will be ready for 2015.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Well, there goes my summer (sigh). I hope that this improved focus on culture and diplomacy will mean they adjust the AI's attitudes - they're always so eager to declare war on me, and once they do, everyone denounces me, or at least dislikes me a good deal.

aelreth

Dec 26, 2012
In US economy news, productivity is down in Q3 & Q4 of 2013, non-violent video games blamed.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Obligatory cheery reminder to Firaxis that Australia is also a civilization, even if we tend to spell it with a "s", as per the UK standard, and that we're more or less totally ok with being represented by whoever they want, as I think I speak for all Australians when I say that not one single person here can agree on who our most influential leader is, as has been made abundantly evident by various attempts to pin one such individual down [http://www.reddit.com/r/australia/comments/17oq27/hey_raustralia_i_was_wondering_if_you_could_give/], and they will no doubt receive protests irrespective of whoever they decide to choose, only I hope they'd not settle for any of the most recent political figures because that's a sure way to cause uproar from the community of players who fall within the intersection of a venn diagram depicting those with specific political leanings in either direction with people with a vested interest in a game supposedly representing them within an international community, but you know, whatever's cool, she'll be right and all that.

I'm also totally cool with being represented by an aboriginal Australian, even though they haven't historically had that much of an authority in governing Australia as a modern entity. Actually, come to think of it, seeing as that's the case, I'd imagine that's probably the most apolitical approach they could possibly hope to take, and not one that any white Australian could hope to protest against without certain rebuke and accusations of racism. And this is Civilization after all; historical accuracy isn't exactly a virtue up for exhibition.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
Andronicus said:
This is Civilization after all; historical accuracy isn't exactly a virtue up for exhibition.

Sorry, what?

OT: I can't wait to lose another 500 hours of my life to Civilization. :3