Civilization V Gets Diplomatic With Brave New World Expansion

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
SkarKrow said:
Vhite said:
SkarKrow said:
Eleuthera said:
Only another 100 hours? I've hardly played Civ V yet and I'm already over 500...

Will definitely have to get this though, more Civ is more better...
I only just picked it up on wednesday and BAM 20 hours of my life gone without me even noticing it...
Same for me but I'm at the 70, or was it the wednesday before that? I don't know or care anymore. Also I would recommend you to pick up Galactic Civilizations 2 as well, it's basicly Civilization in space.
Demo available? Cuz thats what happened with Civ 5, I played the demo for 6 hours then thought "hmmm, I shoul;d buy the full game at this rate... and rushed to the nearest store because it wasn't on sale on steam at the time (and for the same price i'd rather have a physical copy...[sub]which then inevitably required steam activation ¬_¬[/sub])
No, I don't think so but you can get it on steam with all expansions for half a price of Civilization V and for maybe 5? when it's on 66% sale. I think I got it even cheaper than that so I bought extra copy for my friend who doesn't even like it.

But as I said, games are very similar, if you like Civilization (at least 5, thats the only one I played so far) you are very likely to have fun with this game as well. They are not completely identical, gameplay when it comes to tech, war and especially economy is different, however the feel of the game remains the same.

FIX: Oops, sorry. There isn't any demo on Steam but there is one on games website http://www.galciv2.com/Downloads.aspx .

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Another expansion pack to buy when I inevitably get Civ 5 on a Steam sale.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Andronicus said:
You could just be represented by the ghost of Steve Irwin, he's incredibly recognisable to the rest of the world, more so than any Australian politician to my knowledge.

Also the dude was awesome.

Vhite said:
SkarKrow said:
Vhite said:
SkarKrow said:
Eleuthera said:
Only another 100 hours? I've hardly played Civ V yet and I'm already over 500...

I only just picked it up on wednesday and BAM 20 hours of my life gone without me even noticing it...
Same for me but I'm at the 70, or was it the wednesday before that? I don't know or care anymore. Also I would recommend you to pick up Galactic Civilizations 2 as well, it's basicly Civilization in space.
Demo available? Cuz thats what happened with Civ 5, I played the demo for 6 hours then thought "hmmm, I shoul;d buy the full game at this rate... and rushed to the nearest store because it wasn't on sale on steam at the time (and for the same price i'd rather have a physical copy...[sub]which then inevitably required steam activation ¬_¬[/sub])
No, I don't think so but you can get it on steam with all expansions for half a price of Civilization V and for maybe 5? when it's on 66% sale. I think I got it even cheaper than that so I bought extra copy for my friend who doesn't even like it.

But as I said, games are very similar, if you like Civilization (at least 5, thats the only one I played so far) you are very likely to have fun with this game as well. They are not completely identical, gameplay when it comes to tech, war and especially economy is different, however the feel of the game remains the same.

FIX: Oops, sorry. There isn't any demo on Steam but there is one on games website http://www.galciv2.com/Downloads.aspx .
Thanks I'll be sure to check it out in the next Steam sale :p After I rack up a few hundred hours with Civ 5 and Tropico that is! Just been on a bit of a spending splurge on PC games, Game is having a rather pleasant sale on some of the older software aswell as some good deals popping up on Steam.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
Andronicus said:
Obligatory cheery reminder to Firaxis that Australia is also a civilization, even if we tend to spell it with a "s", as per the UK standard, and that we're more or less totally ok with being represented by whoever they want, as I think I speak for all Australians when I say that not one single person here can agree on who our most influential leader is, as has been made abundantly evident by various attempts to pin one such individual down [http://www.reddit.com/r/australia/comments/17oq27/hey_raustralia_i_was_wondering_if_you_could_give/], and they will no doubt receive protests irrespective of whoever they decide to choose, only I hope they'd not settle for any of the most recent political figures because that's a sure way to cause uproar from the community of players who fall within the intersection of a venn diagram depicting those with specific political leanings in either direction with people with a vested interest in a game supposedly representing them within an international community, but you know, whatever's cool, she'll be right and all that.

I'm also totally cool with being represented by an aboriginal Australian, even though they haven't historically had that much of an authority in governing Australia as a modern entity. Actually, come to think of it, seeing as that's the case, I'd imagine that's probably the most apolitical approach they could possibly hope to take, and not one that any white Australian could hope to protest against without certain rebuke and accusations of racism. And this is Civilization after all; historical accuracy isn't exactly a virtue up for exhibition.
If they put Australia in then they better put Canada in too! After all, we ARE the second biggest country in the world! ....based on landmass....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vxDDcTc64c

But honestly, what I wouldn't do to have the Great Canadian Empire ruled over by the consistently drunk and easily bribable John A. MacDonald!

Although it would be hilarious if they put all of the Commonwealth countries in with Lizzy II as the leader for all :p

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Fuck you Civilisation. Fuck you right in your arse. Oh well. Can't make it any worse than it already is, right? I can only spend -so- long on that game RIGHT!? Heh.. heheh...HEHEHAHAEHAEHAKLAJCHKAJSDKAKJDBA Why. Why would you do this to me.
On a more serious note I am rather looking forward to this and will certainly pick it up. ;D

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009

Finally! They're making an expansion that directly caters to my method of playing! YAY!

Moar Civ in the future, methinks.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Any chance of a significant performance improvement? After almost three years Civ 5 still runs like a bull walrus trying to get up a backwards-running escalator.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
SkarKrow said:
You could just be represented by the ghost of Steve Irwin, he's incredibly recognisable to the rest of the world, more so than any Australian politician to my knowledge.
My vote goes for Paul Hogan. "That's not a nuke, this is a nuke."

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Kahani said:
SkarKrow said:
My vote goes for Paul Hogan. "That's not a nuke, this is a nuke."
That would be amazing.

While we're at it can we have the USA represented by Hulk Hogan?

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Any chance of a significant performance improvement? After almost three years Civ 5 still runs like a bull walrus trying to get up a backwards-running escalator.
My friend runs it smoothly on a dual core pentium and no dedicated graphics processing...

On the other hand the game takes fucking eternity to load for me, otherwise no real performance issues.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
SkarKrow said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:
My friend runs it smoothly on a dual core pentium and no dedicated graphics processing...

On the other hand the game takes fucking eternity to load for me, otherwise no real performance issues.
I'd normally assume my setup wasn't powerful enough, were it not for a) having bought a brand-new top of the line laptop the year it came out, and b) being able to play the game with no real performance problems until an update made it impossible to play with anything other than minimum settings on a tiny gamemap.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Shamanic Rhythm said:
SkarKrow said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:

I'd normally assume my setup wasn't powerful enough, were it not for a) having bought a brand-new top of the line laptop the year it came out, and b) being able to play the game with no real performance problems until an update made it impossible to play with anything other than minimum settings on a tiny gamemap.
Some kind of driver issue maybe? Sounds odd :\

Jiefu

May 24, 2010
tehroc said:
I hope they reintroduce Corporations. They could add another victory condition with corporations, economic victory which fits in with our modern world.
Effectively, Diplomatic victory is currently a gold victory. You can simply bribe enough City-States and build the UN to win. This goes hand in hand with the other victory types - Production (military), Science (space), and Cultural (culture). Now obviously each victory type needs help from the others (Military needs good science and a bit of culture), but they're all primarily located in the four pre-G&K resources.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Eleuthera said:

yep, civ is the game where hours will be counted in thousands rather than hundreds.

and civ5 just keeps giving. yay.