Civilization V: Gods & Kings Review

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Civilization V: Gods & Kings Review

Adds features and units you won't want to play without.

Read Full Article

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Definitely interested but there's a part of me that is balking at paying $26 for an expansion to the Civ V GOTY Edition I bought for $12 on Steam 3 weeks ago.

I will be getting this but once I put more mileage on the original game (and the eventual price drop).

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I loved Civ IV with Warlords and Beyond The Sword expansions and I truly felt that Civ V, despite having better graphics, interface and whatnot, was a downgrade of Civ IV.

Now I can definitely see that Gods & Kings may make me think that Civ V may be the best Civilization ever made. Maybe.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Great review, nice to here the improvements add so much to the game. I'm especially looking forward to the improved naval combat as I just played a game on an archipelagos map and only one war was declared the entire game. Nice to hear late game naval invasions will be easier as it is almost impossible against a similarly powerful civ.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I love how violent Gahndi is. Also when Americans have communism. So funny

if_then_else

Apr 28, 2005
Cool review, now I'm actually really looking forward to play, I must admit that I was a bit skeptic even though I prepurched it, but it's looking pretty good.

Too bad it unlocks the 21st here. :(

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
The Civ games are great, but all they seem to do between games is make tweaks to the same basic formula. I think the city-production game play element is becoming a bit outdated.

What I would like to see is a new system based upon more complex macro-management. Perhaps an option to build libraries or other basic public works in all cities by taking out a certain amount of gold for a certain amount of turns. I think it would also be nice if you can have the ability to micromanage the resource distribution of the cities so that they can improve certain works, or give their garrisoned army better training/equipment, instead of just allocating certain citizens to certain plots of terrain. Just having a city produce one thing every certain amount of turns is a bit simplistic.

I'd also like to see the game move from combat centered on single units to armies comprised of several different types of units. This way one could specialize one's army for certain things. I'd also like to see customizable units where you can modify their equipment in order to specialize them for certain things; e.g. make them more maneuverable by cutting down their defense. You could modify the formation of each military unit too; e.g. put the archers in the back behind the phalanx and put the spear-men on either side to protect against cavalry, or make the phalanx form a V as opposed to a straight line.

Instead of each city producing one unit of a certain type after a certain amount of turns you could change it so that each city can produce and garrison only one military unit, though the size of this unit depends upon the size of the city; e.g. your capital city could garrison an entire division, whereas a small peripheral city could garrison a battalion or a company. In order to improve/refit the city's unit you have to devote a certain amount of city resources for a certain amount of turns. You could also improve the military capacity of the city by building certain improvements such as a fort, a training camp, or a military academy. This would allow you to improve the units garrisoned in the city. I'd also like to see supply routes to one's army when they are in enemy territory. That would add a lot more strategy to invasions.

Well... on second thought, maybe I just want to see another turn based strategy game with completely different game play mechanics than Civ. Lol.

Ashannon Blackthorn

Sep 5, 2011
I just hope they fix the AI's bad habit of being pants on head retarded when it comes to war and peace. I dont care if gandhi's a bloodthirsty maniac, but can we stop the "Oh you are my best friend and here let's trade, swap techs and live in peace" and 2 turns later go to "YOU WILL DIE!!" with no warning, reason or logic.

Dooly95

Jun 13, 2009
Ashannon Blackthorn said:
I just hope they fix the AI's bad habit of being pants on head retarded when it comes to war and peace. I dont care if gandhi's a bloodthirsty maniac, but can we stop the "Oh you are my best friend and here let's trade, swap techs and live in peace" and 2 turns later go to "YOU WILL DIE!!" with no warning, reason or logic.
To be fair, a fair lot of human players do the same thing to AI/other players, given the chance to (ally with an AI/other players in a superior position, sneak near him and backstab him).

k7avenger

Sep 26, 2010
Dooly95 said:
Ashannon Blackthorn said:
To be fair, a fair lot of human players do the same thing to AI/other players, given the chance to (ally with an AI/other players in a superior position, sneak near him and backstab him).
But players are behaving erratically because they actually have a plan. The AI, not so much.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
I loved Civ IV with Warlords and Beyond The Sword expansions and I truly felt that Civ V, despite having better graphics, interface and whatnot, was a downgrade of Civ IV.

Now I can definitely see that Gods & Kings may make me think that Civ V may be the best Civilization ever made. Maybe.
Sounds like it just brings it a bit closer to to the standard set by Civ IV. I think I could just play that game forever without ever upgrading.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
DustyDrB said:
SupahGamuh said:

Sounds like it just brings it a bit closer to to the standard set by Civ IV. I think I could just play that game forever without ever upgrading.
Yeah. It seems to me that this expansion adds features that should have been in Civ V in the first place. I played a couple of Civ V games and then lost interest. Something that has never happened with Civ IV or any previous Civilization game, and I've played them all. Especially the lackluster implementation of city states, which boils down to regularly throwing money on them or ignoring them completely, was a huge disappointment.

Also, the price tag on this expansion is outrageous. There is no way I am going to pay 30? for it. I will probably get it when it drops to a more sane 10? or less and then give Civ V another chance.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
You know, i was really skeptical about this expansion, and was originally considering waiting a few weeks/months for the price to drop, but after reading your review, i think i might pre-order it (only 4 hours left to decide, lol)

I love Civ 5, i've gotten 240 hours of gameplay out of it, and its one of those games I can always start playing when I'm feeling bored~

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
One thing I always felt was missing from Civ5 was the way that in Civ4 many of the civilizations had 2 of 3 leaders to choose from which altered the way the game played. For example you could be England under Churchill or England under Queen Victoria and the two wouldn't start or play our the same way. Also the fact that each civ started out with different technologies already researched which would mix up gameplay a bit. However in Civ5 all the civs only have 1 leader a piece and they all start out with the same tech so much of the incentive to play as the different civs is removed. ...or at least that's how I felt anyway.
The religion thing was never a big issue for me, although it was kinda fun trying to found every religion in the game.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I've started playing and I can already see that the religion system can add a big factor to the game as it progresses. I hope the other enhancements are just as nice.