Civilization V: Gods & Kings Review

DeathQuaker

Oct 29, 2008
The global happiness thing doesn't bother me, but then I prefer to build tall rather than broad, so that I can actually develop certain advantages to keeping a small empire is a good thing to me, and an improvement in my eyes from previous civs.

I am really enjoying Gods and Kings (for the record, I've also extensively played the original Civ, Civ II, and Civ IV. V is my favorite closely followed by 2). Definitely do like the naval improvements as discussed earlier, and religion mechanic is very interesting. I like how you can customize everything (and yes, you could certainly consider it an ideology or belief system, not necessarily a belief in a deity or system of spirituality). So far I haven't found the espionage system as irksome as the review said, I don't feel so bombarded by spy messages, although it could also depend on the quirks of the particular game you are playing.

The AI is definitely better, both in combat and in diplomacy. Most recent game I've been playing I've been able to have a few Civs remain friendly through the whole game (one of them I even asked to stop spying on me and he did without much repercussion because we otherwise had a good relationship), and it is even more transparent as to why a Civ likes or doesn't like you. And in combat the tactics seem more solid and sensible.

Going to try some of the scenarios next, really want to look at the Victorian one.

no-genius

Jan 5, 2012
ReiverCorrupter said:
cahtush said:
You should try the Total War games, if you havent already.
Its pretty much what you want. I would recomend Rome Total War (it is a bit old but the graphics has aged pretty well and you can pick it up on steam) and Shogun 2 Total war.
Yeah, I've head good things about that series, though it's an RTS and not a turn-based game like CIV.
The battles are RTS, but the main game is turn-based (at least on Rome).

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
no-genius said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
cahtush said:
You should try the Total War games, if you havent already.
Its pretty much what you want. I would recomend Rome Total War (it is a bit old but the graphics has aged pretty well and you can pick it up on steam) and Shogun 2 Total war.
Yeah, I've head good things about that series, though it's an RTS and not a turn-based game like CIV.
The battles are RTS, but the main game is turn-based (at least on Rome).
Huh. That's pretty cool, actually. More or less what I wanted: turn based macro-strategy + real time combat. I might give it a look-see when my schedule clears up. Thanks for the heads up!