Classes or races you don't play as in RPGs

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
I usually play the most Nordic looking character, because that way they at least have some chance at partially looking at me. -And also I'm sub-consciously racist or something I guess-

As for classes, I'm fine with any of them mostly.

After my first playthrough though, I'll do and try whatever.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
After lots of RPG experience in tabletop, and western and Japanese video games, I've discovered that I generally cannot stand hybrid classes.

I'm naturally a pretty indecisive person. So when I'm playing a class without a clearly defined role, I deliberate too much over questions like, "What should I specialize in? Which skills should I rank up?" Also, when you're a hybrid, there's often friction between what you want to play and what your teammates expect you to do. I played a shaman in WoW, and while I wanted to be a ranged damage dealer, people kept busting my chops to be a healer, because healing classes are always in demand in MMORPGs like WoW.

After that experience, I realized that I have a lot more fun when I first as myself "What do I want my character to do really well? What do I want his role to be?" And then, I simply make all decisions about race, class, stats, and skills towards maximizing effectiveness in that role.

In DnD for example, if I want my role to be "offensive magic damage," I'm going to make a Sorcerer (most amount of spells per day) and pick the best offensive spells I can. If I want to be the one who tackles the stealth and trap challenges, then I'm going to make a rouge and focus on my stealthy and trap-related skills, even if it means I'm not so great in combat.

I've played Dragon Age numerous times, and I've played as a beatstick warrior, a tanking warrior, a damage-focused mage, a kick-ass archery rouge, a dual-wielding backstabby rogue, and in my next playthrough I'm gonna play as a healing & support mage, just so I can see what that's like.

In short, while I do enjoy playing the "rouge" types the most, I'll really play and enjoy just about anything, so long as I'm focused on serving one particular area of strategy better than anyone else in the party.

Layzor

Feb 18, 2009
I never play as a Dwarf. I'm not sure why but I just don't like them.

Classwise, usually not a healer. S'boring.

Lenvoran

Apr 29, 2010
I have a tendency to avoid pure magic users. Most of the time their "huge variety of spells" is a bunch of different spells that do essentially the same things. Fireball or lightning bolt? Meh. If I do play a caster, it's as a healer/support. Typically of the plate-wearing variety if possible.

My main role is Tank. I like to get in their face and enable my friends to do the damage.

...I don't really like being a DPS.

Race? I don't play gnomes or halflings. Especially if they're capable of being plate-wearing warriors. A gnome wielding a sword and shield and taking on something that could just lift them and toss them away? Silly.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
healers, I tend to almost always avoid them, or at least avoid major healers, a class with a healing ability is different, I also tend to avoid humans if given a choice

TheTechnomancer

Jul 6, 2011
I always try to avoid classes that don't require skill or inteligence, such as tanks or beserkers. I like to feel that I'm winning because I'm out thinking my opponent rather than outgunning them. So usually I stick with long range or stealth.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Never play anything but humans - there's enough diversity in human cultures to not have to fake it with different species.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
CM156 said:
I was setting up enemies for my DnD group the other day, when this dawned on me. I?ve been playing RPGs for years. I?ve played so many, that I could say I?ve just about played everything. A Tiefling Paladin, Drow Sorcerer, Aasimar Cleric, Yuan-Ti Monk, Dwarf Wizard, Half-Orc Ranger(Don't bother with that last one though), ect...

Except Rogues. Never once have I played a Rogue, or any similar class. In never put any points into sneak or stealth in games like Fallout either. I also have never played a Gnome or similar race.

I know some people who refuse to play a ranged style character, and some who refuse to do any form of magic. Some DMs I've met refuse to allow people to play as Drow because they don't want a party of people playing Drizzt. So I was wondering, dear readers: Is there any class or race you don?t ever play in games, and why don?t you play as them?

For me, I view Rogues as cowards and thieves. And I tend to play more rule-abiding people. I also like to be more "up front" with power. Stelth has its bonuses, but it seems unfair not to give your foe a fair chance to fight back (Except if they greatly outmach you and are evil)
well for races i dont play humans or half-lings one cause it just doesnt fell right and the other cause i REFUSE to play with a half-ling let alone play one(long story) as for classes i realy dont like warlocks or warlords they just do play right for me.

edit:i thought of this as an after thought i dont play any alinement thats not chaotic neutral.

Conn1496

Apr 21, 2011
I like melee. Up close and punchy, not personal though. Another thing I do is say goodbye to the "human" race. Really, IMO, it's a game designed for NOT being like a human, so... (Not to mention battering people to death as an orc is twice as fun.)

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Fox KITSUNE said:
The last RPG I have experence in is Mass Effect SO I'll talk on that.

I never played the Vanguard or Engineer Class. I don't really prefer Shotguns so that might speak to why I don't ever pick Vanguard. I just started one Engineer Class starting with Mass Effect 1 and I think I might change my mind on this class becuase I never thought the amount of ablities would be great in battle. But I think it's pretty set in stone I won't ever go Vanguard.
you can change your class for ME2 and vanguard gets one hell of an upgrade in the second game over the first so you should try it out there:)

liquidsolid

Feb 18, 2011
I don't play as Orcs or anything that would qualify such as goblins or whatever. I almost always play as either an elf or human character.

Estarc

Sep 23, 2008
I have always studiously avoided divine spell casters. Clerics and Paladins are a big turn off for me, and even the Ranger class, a class I otherwise would like, gets a no because of it.

I, however, love playing rogues. They are my favourite class in any RPG medium, whether table top or a video game. Sneaking around picking off bad guys (or good guys) undetected brings a big grin to my face. It is the most natural and fulfilling play style for me.

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
I normally make an elven character or some other alternate interesting race. I ususally play as a stealth character or melle combat oriented character. I do spellcasters every now and then, but I almost never make druidic/earth spirit/magic related characters. I find that ironic, since I sync up more with those. Also, I never play as gnomes or halflings. Tiny bastards are practically useless.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Mages. Those pansies can't stab shit to save their life.

I really don't share your notion about stealth and fair play though. Or as DA:O so succinctly put it: "History won't bother telling how dramatic your failed frontal assault looked".

Yuri990

Jan 21, 2009
I honestly only play mages, necromancers, sorcerer, and wizards. I don't know why. I just have a love for the idea of the arcane. And while I may be a 6'4'' martial artist and paramilitary nut... I just don't find hand to hand combat appealing. Besides I'm tired of being a leading character.

Captain_Fantastic

Jun 28, 2011
i stick to the mage/healer/spellsword/fighter and thats about it cant do ranger(bow person) or assassin stealth aint my thing

Ramare

Apr 27, 2009
Classes/archetypes I do play as: Rouges, Gunslingers, Spellswords, and the occasional Combat Pragmatist Knight, with unorthodox tactics. Like using a hand and a half, or two-handed sword, and having an armored left arm-guard and glove that allows me to use my weapon like a spear (In the sense of holding the business end in my off-hand, pointing the pointy end at the enemies, thrusting, and pulling back like a spear.).

Classes/archetypes I don't play as: Mages, Archers, and Healers. Anything not listed above or here is likely territory I don't care about playing, but can/will, or didn't know existed.

Now, races I will play as: Humans, and anything that'll let me make my character a cat girl. That's it. What, I like being normal.

Races I will not play as: Elves, anything that has to do with Elves, Trolls, Orcs, little people (Gnomes, Dwarves, etc.), and basically everything else.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
I don't play mages. Too not-hitting-shit-with-a-sword for me. Also I can never keep track of all my spells.
Same here. In fantasy games, I'm always a tank-esque warrior or barbarian of some sort. I also like thievish characters when the urge hits me.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Hmm.
I usually don't like to play tanks and hardcarries. I prefer damage dealers or semicarries, and supporters. But that's in the setting of Heroes of Newerth, I don't have a lot of other reference.

Lonely Swordsman

Jun 29, 2009
I rarely ever play healer classes. I usually just stick to hitting stuff, preferably either with axes or spells. I don't mind playing supporting casters like warlords or bards though, if the system allows it.