Classic Batmobile Gets Full-Scale Official Replicas

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Classic Batmobile Gets Full-Scale Official Replicas

You might not be able to actually be the Batman, but you can totally drive his car.

As nerdy cars go, the Batmobile from Adam West's time as the Caped Crusader in the 60's is probably one of the most recognizable, right up there with the DeLorean from Back to the Future and KITT from Knight Rider. And now, if you've got the cash, you can have an official, working replica of your very own.

DC Comics has granted Fiberglass Freaks [http://buybatparts.com/joomla/index.php/replicas] the rights to make official replicas of the classic car. Each replica is a mixture of features you'd expect to find on a luxury car, like a high-end sound system and a built in DVD player, and wonderful details like a working flamethrower exhaust and custom made bat-spinners mounted on the wheels.

Each replica is built around the frame of a 1970's Lincoln town car that Fiberglass Freaks provides, and is a fully working vehicle besides being very accurate to the show. You'll need fairly deep pockets in order to get one though, as each replica costs $150,000 and only eight will be made each year.

Fiberglass Freaks' founder Mark Racop is considered to be one of the leading experts on the '66 Batmobile, and has been a fan of the car since he first saw it in 1967. His whole company built up around his desire to own a Batmobile of his very own, and he describes building them as a "passion."

Now, hands up anyone who isn't thinking "atomic batteries to power, turbines to speed."

Source: Gizmodo [http://gizmodo.com/5649532/awesome-official-1966-batmobile-replicas-now-for-sale]

EmbraAgain

Jun 28, 2010
Would dearly love one of these. Bet it's not road-legal in the UK. I think the flame exhaust might be a stumbling block...

zwober

Nov 20, 2009
oh god, the theme keeps playing in my mind, make it stop, Please - make it stop!
*behaves erraticly like the marines in quake 2*

i did however think that the flamethrower exhaust was illegal, both in america and europe ?

if not, im going to tape some fireworks to my car and call em JATO´s..
that would be kinda neat tbh, especially if i could mount some form of release-mechanism that would allow me to.. ehm, ill.. work on this and you just go away and pretend you didint see anything..

please ?

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Aw, when I saw the title I thought you were talking about the one from the 1989 movie. Although that would be a bit harder to replicate...

Anyways, this is still pretty cool.

Dun nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh BATMAN!

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
wow... if only I had the money...
Gotta say, I prefer the '89 batmobile better though

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Sweet :) I saw one of these Batmobiles in a car museum (an awesome place it had KITT a BttF DeLorian, A-Team Van, and loads more) and they are sweet. Weren't they an actual car with only a little bit of modification (flame exhaust) rather than a total conversion like a lot of Batmobiles.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wow o.o Thats pretty epic. Imagine the looks you might get driving that down the road!

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Weren't they an actual car with only a little bit of modification (flame exhaust) rather than a total conversion like a lot of Batmobiles.
The original Barris Bamobile design is based off the 1955 Lincoln Futura - a concept car that never went into production, and cost $250,000 to make. Ford sold it to George Barris for $1, who then made quite possibly the most legendary vehicle of all time.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
CaptainCrunch said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Weren't they an actual car with only a little bit of modification (flame exhaust) rather than a total conversion like a lot of Batmobiles.
The original Barris Bamobile design is based off the 1955 Lincoln Futura - a concept car that never went into production, and cost $250,000 to make. Ford sold it to George Barris for $1, who then made quite possibly the most legendary vehicle of all time.
That's it. I couldn't remember it's name.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
I just want to say, that in the CoD Jeep news article, I questioned why DC wouldnt let us have a batmobile.

FUCK YEAH! MY PRAYERS WERE ANSWER!!!

Dublin Solo

Feb 18, 2010
I kinda picture the 50 or 60 year-old sugar daddy trying to pick up chicks with a car that looks like a large-scale toy.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
all I have to say is that whoever buys it may only blast the batman music. It would only make things that much more epic.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Why can't I shake the feeling that a working flamethrower exhaust thing on the back is just an accident waiting to happen?

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
CaptainCrunch said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Bet Ford kicked themselves after that one!

OT: I'd rather have the Dark Knight Batmobile....... personally.

Or Adam West's because it has Bat-TV