Classic Duck Hunt Game Arriving on Wii U Virtual Console

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Classic Duck Hunt Game Arriving on Wii U Virtual Console

The NES classic Duck Hunt will be on the eShop in time for a Christmas throwdown with your kids.

Children today have never experienced the joy of shooting virtual flying targets with the Nintendo classic Zapper light gun. That latter part won't be a part of the experience, but Nintendo's NES game Duck Hunt [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/duck%20hunt] will be on the Wii U Virtual Console starting December 25.

In Duck Hunt, players shoot ducks out of the air. If you miss, your hunting dog companion will laugh in your face and shame you for being such a crappy hunter. Instead of the light gun, players will use the Wii Remote to take aim and shoot at the virtual ducks. When advancing to the next round, the ducks will fly faster than before, and the game can become quite difficult at later stages.

If shooting at virtual ducks bothers you, there's a mode where you can fire at clay pigeon targets instead.

[gallery=3662]

There's also a mode to play against a friend, making this just right for challenging your parents or your kids to a game of Duck Hunt to decide who cleans the dishes on Christmas day. The game will be available for purchase from the eShop starting December 25.

Ralph Baer, passed away this month. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138431-Nintendo-Finally-Reveals-Duck-Hunt-Dog-for-Smash-Bros-4-With-Official-Trailer]

Source: Nintendo [http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/yEiAzhU2eQI1KZ7wOHhngFoAHc1FpHwj]

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Duck Hunt: Teaching gamers to reload after every three shots, since 1984-5.

-

OP: Is it safe to assume this will be touch screen affair, or should I instead imagine people awkwardly positioning their Wii-U tablets at the TV.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
That's nice. Are purchases being tied to an account rather than a console arriving as well? As much money as I'd love to throw at nintendo for continuing to release their old stuff, I'm not starting until they pull their heads out of their asses in the digital sales department. Also, fuck that dog.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Scrythe said:
OP: Is it safe to assume this will be touch screen affair, or should I instead imagine people awkwardly positioning their Wii-U tablets at the TV.
It says in the article "players will use the Wii Remote to take aim and shoot at the virtual ducks".

If I had a Wii U this would certainly be on my to buy list.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Needs connectivity function with smash to throw down with dog after one too many chuckles.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
It's about damn time. This should've been available for the Wii when it first came out. Now I have to look into whether or not a Wii U is worth it for me or not.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Stryc9 said:
It's about damn time. This should've been available for the Wii when it first came out. Now I have to look into whether or not a Wii U is worth it for me or not.
If it ever gets into your house, there are plenty of other goof games on the machine, both multiplayer stuff and single player stuff :)
+ it's backwards compatible so loads of good Wii games too to get in case you ever get bored :p

On Topic:
This certainly sounds like something I should get.
I remember playig the original one with the zapper as a kid, even if born in -91 my dad had the old goodies for me to enjoy before the N64 was released :D

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Guffe said:
Stryc9 said:
If it ever gets into your house, there are plenty of other goof games on the machine, both multiplayer stuff and single player stuff :)
+ it's backwards compatible so loads of good Wii games too to get in case you ever get bored :p
Oh I know and the backwards compatibility is useful as I do have a small collection of Wii games. I may look into it after the first of the year. I still have to survive Steam Sale Season-pocalypse 2014.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Stryc9 said:
Guffe said:
Stryc9 said:
If it ever gets into your house, there are plenty of other good games on the machine, both multiplayer stuff and single player stuff :)
Oh I know and the backwards compatibility is useful as I do have a small collection of Wii games. I may look into it after the first of the year. I still have to survive Steam Sale Season-pocalypse 2014.
Lucky for me I haven't had Steam for a long time.
Those sales really show the weakness in a person :p

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
oh my god, this was my first video game, that I'm getting this is not even a question