Classic Half-Life Mod Gets Next-Gen Remake

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
D4zZ said:
I played the original ages ago when I was tiny. Didn't have a clue what was going on, wish I'd stuck with it now. :(
I played it when I was older, but I could never kill of those jumping alien buggers - unless we had a commander who was actually worth while and got us machineguns, heh.

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
Fun game, played it quite a bit when I was younger. Obviously it was more fun to play as the aliens, but could do well as the marines aswell if you had a decent team. Might pick this up, though I must say AvP3 is sort of overshadowing this.

cyber_andyy

Dec 31, 2008
nilcypher said:
Players will be able to pick either the marine-esque Frontiersmen or the alien Kharaa and fight for dominance in dynamic and changeable environment, with both sides playing in a totally different way. Especially notable is the Frontiersmen 'Commander', who will play the game like an RTS.
This has been done in mods before, Empires, is one I can remember of the top of my head.

Talendra

Hail, Ilpalazzo!
Jan 26, 2009
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay NS2 info \o/. I loved that game and played the hell out of it, just placed my preorder on the special edition. Hope it drags new people and new life into the series.
Battle gorge! *Jumps around like a mad woman, throwing webs all over the place*

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
I've never heard of natural selection, but this remake looks almost ripped from DOOM 3. 'Sides, zombie master is still the number one game mod for me (In your face original counter-strike and DOTA!).

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
I wanted to love the mod so badly, but I was about 6 years late and I couldn't play without all the pros beating the crap out of me. Hopefully the sequel will even the playing fields a bit.

GBlair88

Jan 10, 2009
YurdleTheTurtle said:
I'm not being ignorant and I never said they were exactly the same, but both games are basically a team with guns against a team without guns and that's where the similarity lies.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
GBlair88 said:
I'm not being ignorant and I never said they were exactly the same, but both games are basically a team with guns against a team without guns and that's where the similarity lies.
More important, that's where the similarity ends. Because other than that, they're nothing like each other.

But while I never actually played the first one, I was very intrigued by it. I'll definitely look into 2, looks really good.

Paulox

Nov 1, 2009
Late news is better than no news.

swaki said:
the "teaser" gives me absolutely no further interests
theownerer said:
I have absolutely no idea what it is or what it does why would i want to pre order it?
That's understandable if you've never played NS1 or read up on NS2, as this "teaser" is basically targeted at NS fans.

I expect they will follow up with a more informative and accessible teaser/trailer.

Exocet said:
Then I quit and never tried to play ever again.
Do you give up on every game you don't immediately understand?

cyber_andyy said:
This has been done in mods before.
Yes and one of them is called Natural Selection (2002). Besides they never claimed it was original.

Pegghead said:
I've never heard of natural selection, but this remake looks almost ripped from DOOM 3. 'Sides, zombie master is still the number one game mod for me (In your face original counter-strike and DOTA!).
There's obvious similarities in the visual style, but most sci-fi shooters 'look the same'.

As for ripped? That's a very bold, unsubstantiated statement.

NS2 is a standalone game not a mod, plus you're not limited to only playing your number one game/mod.

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
I saw the thread title and immediately thought of Natural Selection.

It is probably the best Half Life mod that I've played. It's a lot like Starcraft without the Protoss done in a first person perspective from the views of the units themselves; anyone who was disappointed by Starcraft: Ghost's cancellation (or enjoyed Command and Conquer Renegade's multiplayer) might want to give it a look.

I've dropped in on the sequel's website a few times but didn't find much substantial going on.

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
Haven't they been taking pre-orders for some months now? I think it's like $20 or something, so not a full-priced game, but the first one was easily the best Half-Life mod out there (besides the obvious in CS and DoD). I loved how they did the playing as aliens part, how the tense the game was.

GoldenShadow

May 13, 2008
I mastered NS1 way back when. Very fun game for its time considering how much they acomplished with the, even then, aging HL1 engine. I will wait to see how it turns out before I give them any money though. I have L4D2 now.

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
The first time I played this I was on a Half-Life mod playing binge. There was Natural Selection, Science & Industry, and Knights, Pirates, and Vikings (may have messed up the name sequence on the end one there). They all had their moments, but, out of all of them, NS had the most visceral experience.

The first few times I played it, I ended up as one of the marines, and we got annihilated. It wasn't until a veteran commander came in that we started to win. He had a mic on, and started barking out these orders and everyone just hupped too. The aliens didn't stand a chance. It was the first encounter with true online co-operation. Strangers working together fluidly and without squabbles. It was beautiful to behold.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
If it's even running on its own engine, then it's not a Half-Life mod anymore, isn't it?