Classic Monsters Get a Makeover for Pokemon Sun and Moon

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Classic Monsters Get a Makeover for Pokemon Sun and Moon

Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon will feature "regional variants" of classic monsters who have adapted to the Alola region.

Today's Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon reveal included the introduction of new creatures that will be appearing in the games, as well as reimagined versions of familiar monsters. This includes ice variants of Vulpix, Ninetales, Sandshrew, and Sandslash, as well as a much taller Exeggutor.

"Some Pokemon have adapted to the distinctive microclimates of the Alola region and have taken on different forms than they have in other regions," an accompanying press release reads. "These Pokemon are called regional variants. After taking root in the Alola region, they live like native Pokemon. These regional variant Pokemon can have different appearances and types, and their way of living can also differ from that of the forms previously known."

Details of these variants were also included in the press release, and you can read more about them below.

Name: Alolan Exeggutor
Type: Grass/Dragon
Unlike other Exeggutor, the Alolan Exeggutor has a fourth head-on its tail! This fourth head controls the tail independently and can take on opponents to the rear that can't be reached by the main heads' attacks.

Name: Alolan Vulpix
Type: Ice
It is said that Vulpix came to the Alola region together with humans, but the Fox Pok?mon moved to the snowy mountain peaks to avoid the normal habitats of other Pok?mon, and thus it ended up taking on this form.

Name: Alolan Ninetales
Type: Ice/Fairy
Alolan Ninetales is able to produce ice crystals from the fur that covers its body. It can use these ice crystals to block attacks, or it can form balls of ice, which it fires like bullets at opponents. These ice missiles have enough power to pulverize rock.

Name: Alolan Sandshrew
Type: Ice/Steel
Sandshrew have historically lived in desert areas, but the frequent eruptions of nearby volcanoes drove the them to abandon the desert and migrate to snowy mountains where they took on this form.

Name: Alolan Sandslash
Type: Ice/Steel
The Alolan Sandshrew of the snowy mountains evolve into Alolan Sandslash with spiny backs that are covered in ice. Alolan Sandslash hide themselves in the snow when strong enemies appear, leaving only their needles exposed and ready for business.

[gallery=6369]

Also introduced was Oricoria, which changes its forms by consuming nectar from certain flowers. A different form of Oricoria - Fire, Electric, Psychic, and Ghost - can be found on the four different islands in Alola.

Rounding out the reveal were Minior, Gumshoos, Fomantis, Lurantis, and Mudbray, who you can read about below.

Name: Minior
Type: Rock/Flying
Minior are formed in the stratosphere and live by absorbing the detritus around them. When they've consumed a large quantity of particles, their bodies become heavy, and they fall toward the planet's surface. Minior has a hard and heavy outer shell with a core within.

Name: Gumshoos
Type: Normal
Gumshoos is the Evolution of Yungoos. It will call on Yungoos allies and stand in the way of trial-goers.

Name: Fomantis
Type: Grass
Fomantis is nocturnal, and it performs photosynthesis while it sleeps during the day by spreading out its leaves in all directions. Because of the danger of staying in the same location two days in a row, Fomantis begins its search for the next day's spot as soon as the sun sets.

Name: Lurantis
Type: Grass
Lurantis draws opponents near to itself with its flowerlike appearance and aroma-and then it takes them down. It's said to be the most gorgeous of all Grass-type Pok?mon, due to its brilliant coloration and elegant moves.

Name: Mudbray
Type: Ground
Mudbray could once be found all over the world, but it became endangered and is now a protected species. It's said that the Alola region is the only place in the world where Mudbray can still be found in the wild.

[gallery=6368]

Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon release on November 18.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Alola Vulpix and Ninetales look really cool and I want them, I will say. Same with Alola Sandshrew and Sandslash, but slightly less. That said, I can guarantee I will NEVER use Z-Moves. If I was running an online league, it'd be out the window. I'll use them for the prerequisite tutorial battle that I know will have to do in order to get the cutscene to go away, but otherwise, it's gone.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Those new versions typings are thematic but horrific gameplay wise! They'll get annihilated!

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Honestly, I'm a little disappointed with Icepix. With how vastly different (and amazing) Exeggutor is... gotta say, color reduced palatte swaps just aren't very interesting. At least Iceshrew has that little Igloo hoodie thing going on.

Dancerbird, Dick Gumshoe and Orchid Mantis McPinstripepants all look amazing though. I'm actually looking forward to this gen a lot

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
It's interesting that this is the first Pokemon game that actually take into account natural selection and evolution when it comes to Pokemon that aren't birds or bugs. However, instead of just making Skinny Exeggutors and Icy Vulpix' and Sandshrews, I would've rather they come up with new Pokemon instead of taking existing Pokemon and just slightly changing them. They could've still looked similar to Exeggutors, Vulpix and Sandshrews, but actually not be those Pokemon.

Still, this Pokemon game is looking very interesting.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
With Alolan Exeggutor, I think it's safe to say that GameFreak has lost their collective goddamn minds.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
So, instead of coming up with new ones, they decided to take the old ones and go with the new overstylized design to fill up the list of "new additions".

Is it just me or does that really scream "GameFreak ran out of ideas"?

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Bindal said:
So, instead of coming up with new ones, they decided to take the old ones and go with the new overstylized design to fill up the list of "new additions".

Wondered how long it would take someone to chime in with the "out of ideas" thing.

No, it doesn't. Honestly, with all the focus on "evolution" in this series, it's honestly refreshing to see some ACTUAL species evolution in this freaking series.

saluraropicrusa

undercover bird
Feb 22, 2010
Bindal said:

are they somehow incapable of doing both? this reveal includes several new pokemon alongside a small number of variants on gen 1 'mons.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
The white Vulpix is beautiful, but I do wish they would give that treatment with Butterfree as it looked in the Orange Islands

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It make sense that they finally caught on with the variety. I mean there are variation among real animal species due to its location. I think I am leaning toward Vulpix cos I read that the ice Sandshrew is slower to its original counterpart (I hate slow speed).

Lastly Aloha Exeggutor is hillarious depite being part dragon type!

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
So finally we're getting proper variances in evolution across regions? Sign me the fuck up.

soren7550 said:
With Alolan Exeggutor, I think it's safe to say that GameFreak has lost their collective goddamn minds.
And I fucking love it!

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
I like the new ice-versions, though might be because both ninetails and sandslash tended to be on my teams. Sad that the Iceslash is better typed then the original with it being steel instead of ground (seriously, why not just give another evolution to the original to make it steel ground or something?), but the ice fairy ninetails seems interesting and definitely a dragon breaker if nothing else.

The palm tree looks even sillier now.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I really like the new Ninetails design. Every new video gets me more pumped for this game.

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
I am loving that Meteor Pokemon, it looks so cool, and the idea of regional variants is a really cool idea.

Ukomba said:
That Exeggutor looks really silly.
And normal exeggutor doesn't look silly? It's a dopey coconut tree.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
fluxy100 said:
I am loving that Meteor Pokemon, it looks so cool, and the idea of regional variants is a really cool idea.

Ukomba said:
That Exeggutor looks really silly.
And normal exeggutor doesn't look silly? It's a dopey coconut tree.
It does, but the Alola form really cranks it to 11.

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
The Great JT said:
That said, I can guarantee I will NEVER use Z-Moves. If I was running an online league, it'd be out the window.
That's basically like saying no Mega evolutions allowed.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Bindal said:

No, they just want a opportunity to show as a new version of Lopunny, Blaziken, everything which the fans think it have tits.
Like Alola Lopunny. That sound outright dirty as hell.