Classic N64 Games

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
Hey Escapist, I'm looking to start doing some video commentary (like everyone else on the internet, I know) but I thought I'd do it on some old, potentially little-known N64 games.

What are some games that you enjoyed and think other people would like to watch/hear about?

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
Though not little known, every single rare game was amazing. Jet Force Gemini and DK64 are my two favorites (*gasp* not goldeneye)

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
banjo kazooie and banjo tooie were waaayy better than super mario 64. best platformers on the system, hands down. also, yeah i hated goldeneye.

PPB

May 25, 2009
Rogue Squadron was one of my favourite games on the N64, but I reckon it's pretty well known.

I was rather fond of Bomberman 64 (the first one). There was a neat little plot twist at the end if you go beat the last boss after collecting all the golden cards.

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
Goldeneye was great, but it didn't age well. Shooters are the big dog these days, and they've come a long way. Starfox 64 and Ogre Battle 64 on the other hand, hold up great. Ogre Battle is tough to find, so someone will want to see it.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
Hmm... has anybody ever played Buck Bumble? (stupid question, obviously someone has)

That was a funny game.

One game that I feel guilty for liking though, was 1080 snowboarding...

Wayneguard said:
(*gasp* not goldeneye)
I don't know whether to respond positively or negatively to this.

On one hand, I love the game since it was lots of fun to play, but compared to FPS games like Halo...

On the other hand, I felt endless frustration when my brother always kept playing the golden gun scenario on Facility, where he and his friend kept camping in the toilets while me and my brother was repeatedly running in, dying and kid raging.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
For some reason almost nobody I know has played perfect dark. Oh, and then there's Sin & Punishment.

Both of which I can now play with vastly superior controls.

Link XL1

Apr 6, 2010
zelda: Majora's mask (better than OoT)

and XG2 (extreme gee racing 2) best racing game to date (not "of all time" because that would imply that no game made in the future could ever beat it, and im not THAT much of a fan boy)

i love XG2 cause its a futuristic racer (with a high learning curve) in a genre fulled with present day racers. there are too many games out there were you're racing in today's sports cars and not enough where you can break the sound barrier on a laser shooting bike. in fact, that was the high light of that game: breaking the sound barrier, cause when you did it this explosion sounded and the music stopped playing and the sound effects got really muted. it was awesome. im totally not ranting i swear.

i also say zelda MM because while it did only have 4 dungeons they were of a higher quality then most in Oot. it also had more side quests, and i prefer the depressing story. (also, the villain isnt ganon again, so thats a plus)

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
Thanks for all the quick responses! I'm leaning toward Perfect Dark at the moment, because it will be fun to compare to modern FPS games, but Banjo-Kazooie is a close second.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
The only N64 game I loved was 1080 Snowboarding which is weird cause I haven't liked a snowboarding game since, nor cared for them before that.

Boemmel

Jan 1, 2009
Wayneguard said:
Though not little known, every single rare game was amazing. Jet Force Gemini and DK64 are my two favorites (*gasp* not goldeneye)
I agree with the Rare games, and those two are both good Rare choices.

I would like to add another Rare game, which might be one of the lesser know ones: Blast Corps

I think it was a launch or at least an early N64 title and had a unique and fresh idea executed beatifully: Use an arsenal of demolition vehicles to destroy buildings in the path of a nuclear missile transport gone rogue. It was really great and I enjoyed it very much. Oh J-Bomb, how I loved destroying entire building blocks with your shiny metal jump-pack robot ass ;)

Xiorell

Jan 9, 2010
Boemmel said:
I would like to add another Rare game, which might be one of the lesser know ones: Blast Corps

I think it was a launch or at least an early N64 title and had a unique and fresh idea executed beatifully: Use an arsenal of demolition vehicles to destroy buildings in the path of a nuclear missile transport gone rogue. It was really great and I enjoyed it very much. Oh J-Bomb, how I loved destroying entire building blocks with your shiny metal jump-pack robot ass ;)
spent a good bit of time playing this. It was an awesome game! I'm half tempted to dig out my N64 again now...

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Link XL1 said:
i love XG2 cause its a futuristic racer (with a high learning curve) in a genre fulled with present day racers. there are too many games out there were you're racing in today's sports cars and not enough where you can break the sound barrier on a laser shooting bike. in fact, that was the high light of that game: breaking the sound barrier, cause when you did it this explosion sounded and the music stopped playing and the sound effects got really muted. it was awesome. im totally not ranting i swear.
Xtreme G was sweet, but I only ever rented it. F-Zero X was one that I owned and loved, and it was sweet :D Forget speed of sound, you can clear 1000km/hr in your little hover car ^_^

Silicone Valley was a really quirky one, worth a look if it's around.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Crunchy English said:
Goldeneye was great, but it didn't age well. Shooters are the big dog these days, and they've come a long way. Starfox 64 and Ogre Battle 64 on the other hand, hold up great. Ogre Battle is tough to find, so someone will want to see it.
Actually, Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber is available on Wii Virtual Console. So anyone with a wii has access to it, dood.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Ashcrexl said:
banjo kazooie and banjo tooie were waaayy better than super mario 64. best platformers on the system, hands down. also, yeah i hated goldeneye.
I completely agree with each statement. Do the Banjo games.

And yes, Goldeneye sucks a lot today.

Daveeo

Feb 5, 2011
ohhh take me back to days when i used to play the n64 non-stop! Playing the great titles as: Ocarina of time,majoras mask,mario 64, mario kart,super smash and mario party.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Space Station Silicon Valley is a good but overlooked one. It's a quirky adventure/platformer with a great sense of humor. You basically went around fighting robot animals, then taking over their bodies once you defeated them. Each animal had different stats and abilities, and you often needed to use said abilities to complete the stage.

Unfortunately it's extremely hard to find a copy nowadays, and it hasn't been released on Virtual Console. Given its obscurity, it probably never will either.