Classic TV Series Lost In Space Gets a Reboot

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Classic TV Series Lost In Space Gets a Reboot

Dracula Untold writers will put Will Robinson back in danger

Before Babylon 5 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star%20trek] and countless other spaced-out sci-fi series ruled the airwaves, Irwin Allen's Lost in Space took TV to the stars. Now, almost fifty years later, The Robinson Family could be getting lost again.

The television branch of Legendary Pictures [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/legendary%20pictures] is reportedly developing a reboot of the franchise as a TV series, set to be overseen by Dracula Untold writers Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless. The prospective series will be produced in partnership with Synthesis Entertainment, which holds the rights to Irwin Allen's extensive TV catalog, including Voyage to The Bottom of The Sea and Land of The Giants.

Originally aired on CBS over 85 episodes from 1965 to 1968, Lost in Space was an update of The Swiss Family Robinson in which The Robinsons - a family of scientists in the "future" year 1997 - set out on a space voyage to find habitable planets for an overpopulated Earth to colonize. An act of sabotage by the evil (but incompetent) Dr. Smith causes their ship to veer of course, leaving them lost in an uncharted region of space. The series was previously adapted into an unsuccessful feature film [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrBp9QDu2EE] in 1998.

Source: Deadline Hollywood [http://deadline.com/2014/10/lost-in-space-reboot-dracula-writers-legendary-tv-848901/]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
And I think the main question everyone will be asking is, WHY? Why does this need to be made apart from money? But hey, I can't knock it until I see it.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Can we make it fun, light-hearted, and kind of goofy like the original series, or are we going to grim it up? Because I already saw the movie.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
A strange and horrible thought occurred to me. There are people out there who are absolutely unaware of the original TV series and the movie adaptation (which I was a fan of, but others didn't like). Will those absolutely clueless folk think this is a unimaginitively named reboot of LOST (in space)? Now that I've said that, you'll never be able to unthink it.

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
This is just a bad idea.
Neither a faithful reboot or a modern adaption would be popular or make any scientific sense.

Also wasn't there a Stargate spinoff that was pretty much just this with a bigger cast.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
You know I was expected a reboot ever since that movie (with Matt La Blanc) version came out many years ago so I guess it was about time? Granted it doesn't mean I will immediately watched it, I'll wait for the reviews.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Do not want! The god-fucking-awful film was bad enough.

And I used to love the show when I was a youngling, at least I loved it until it went colour and then it turned shit.

s_h_a_d_o

Mr Propellerhead
Jun 15, 2010
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Will those absolutely clueless folk think this is a unimaginitively named reboot of LOST (in space)? Now that I've said that, you'll never be able to unthink it.
An unimaginatively named reboot...

... and yes - curse you for inspiring that thought!
:p

ritchards said:
If I may: The pain, the pain...
Never fear, Bob [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/MovieBob] is here

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I just made the biggest nerd squeee I have ever done.

I admit that I haven't watched many episodes of the original, though I did watch the movie and sort of enjoyed it.
What I really, really, like about it is the setup. Lost in Space. Just the title entrances me.
I miss those daily adventure series that dealt with different issues and told spectacular (and not so spectacular) stories.
I also enjoyed Star Trek Voyager for the same reason.

Time to do some digging into this.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
Perhaps a TV show will have a better shot than the reboot attempt with the movie.

But in this age of television I'm just not sure they can pull it off. Too many shows are tempted to go dark, grim, or too grounded in reality to make something fun enough to call it Lost in Space. It's just a lost age of television that gave us shows like Gilligan's Island or I Dream of Jeannie. The show is going to need more than just a hot space MILF to call itself Lost in Space.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Not too worked up over the announcement itself, but I like the possible precedent it sets - when was the last time there was a "space show?" Not for awhile AIRC.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I never saw the original series. I may have tried to watch once after the movie came out, which I really liked, and just didn't care for it.

I imagine the reboot will end up nothing like the original or the movie so who knows if any fan or the property will ultimately be interested.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
BigTuk said:
An unsuccessful but not actually bad feature film. I certainly enjoyed it and I think this reboot is likely doomed to failure. SPeculative Sci-Fantasy is something I highly doubt modern TV to be capable of... I mean Dr Who is the best example of amodern attempt and even that sort of misses the mark for me.

Face it.. we know too much about space now and we don't seem to have the same childlike imagination that goes with it... or at the very least producers have no faith in such anymore so it will invariably be the same angsty, gritty drama.

Silliness is not allow in television anymore
Or all of the creative curiosity regarding speculative sci fi is going straight into that Disney movie Tomorrowland.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Yet another unneeded reboot. It's not exactly like people were clamoring for a "Lost in Space" reboot.

MacabreHeart

May 19, 2014
I might be the only one but I think this may be a good thing. People my age (20) and youger often have trouble watching such old television, and relating to said television is then an extra mile past that. The concept of the worlds governments not doing anything about saving the planet until it was too late is very relevant in light of the last few years and people still want spaceship based sci-fi. Whether they can make it work or not is a different question, some recent reboots have been butchered.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Wait... Dr. Smith was evil? I didn't get that impression from what I've seen of the TV series. He was a little selfish, but I reserve the "evil" moniker for people who kick puppies and set babies on fire, possibly at the same time.