Clay Guida's Hair Knocks Out UFC Undisputed 2009

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Clay Guida's Hair Knocks Out UFC Undisputed 2009

MMA fans might notice that respected lightweight UFC Undisputed 2009 [http://www.cguida.com/], but there's a very good reason for his absence: The man has crazy, crazy hair.

Guida, with a professional record of 25-9, has been a UFC [http://www.ufc.com/] stalwart since coming to the organization in 2006. He's earned a reputation for his outstanding cardio, relentlessness in the ring, his friendly demeanor - and his flying, wild-man hairdo. I don't understand how he can even see, much less fight, but it seems to work for him.

It didn't work for THQ [http://www.thq.com], however, which ran into clipping and collision detection issues caused by his hair that made his character almost unplayable. According to reports, THQ actually offered Guida money to get a haircut so they could keep him in the game, but Clay was true to the 'do and said no.

Is hair really that complicated? Clay Guida's is no ordinary coiffure, true, but, it's possible that THQ was just being lazy; the developers reportedly resolved other issues caused by left-handed fighters by simply making everyone in the game a rightie.

Source: GameSetWatch [http://www.5thround.com/05212009/news/3459/clay-guida-removed-from-ufc-undisputed-2009-because-of-hair/]

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Ha! Props to him for stickin' by his hair. And props to THQ for trying to buy their problems away.

But for anyone who has ever done graphics for anything, they'll know that hair, especially long shaggy hair, is a real b%#$h to get right. It probably would have come off looking totally nuts (or anime-ish) if they'd kept it in.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I would have been fine with clipping issues. They exist in pretty much all games, from Fallout 3 to Midnight Club to Fable 2.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
Sounds a bit lazy ont their part perhaps but I suppose not many people may have bought this title (I don't know anyone who has) so it probably isn't worth wasting the time and money on >.>

The left-handed thing seems a bit lazy though.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
MrPop said:
Sounds a bit lazy ont their part perhaps but I suppose not many people may have bought this title (I don't know anyone who has) so it probably isn't worth wasting the time and money on >.>

The left-handed thing seems a bit lazy though.
I don't have MGS4, and I don't personally know anybody that does, doesn't mean nobody does.

The left handed thing really really pissed me off. I kept pressing X for my power shots, even up til the end, not realizing that I was using my "off hand" to do them. That was a bit too much on the lazy side if you ask me. Not calling fights for cuts and even this shit with the hair is somewhat forgivable, but to cut out southpaw fighting is a crime. I guess it was expected though. In my Kung Fu San Soo class they have me fight right handed when practicing with others so I don't throw them off. I don't think they realize that I'm throwing them off for one day of training, and I will have no left handed experience when a real fight comes along. Granted I did just recently start, so that may all change.

Would be pretty hilarious so see a guy knock another guy out because the developers gave hair collision detection. Why would they give hair a collision? Just clip it like everyone else does.

SMOKEMNHALO2001

Sep 10, 2008
I've taken game design classes so believe me, doing hair is flipin hard! physics get in know you have to make sure it flows like hair, and that's not easy. Plus with deadlines rushing developers there's no need to waste time on something so trivial. If he was in the game people would complain about it, hats off to the developers great call.

CoziestPigeon

Oct 6, 2008
I won't lie, this part about the game pissed me off alot. Also how your created character had to have short hair. Short hair just looks silly sometimes, especially when trying to emulate myself. Boo on THQ for being lazy.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I would have been fine with clipping issues. They exist in pretty much all games, from Fallout 3 to Midnight Club to Fable 2.
I've basically come to the conclusion that no matter how great our graphics engines may become, no matter how powerful our game systems get, there will ALWAYS be clipping issues.

minarri

Dec 31, 2008
Malygris said:
Is hair really that complicated? Clay Guida's is no ordinary coiffure, true, but, it's possible that THQ was just being lazy; the developers reportedly resolved other issues caused by left-handed fighters by simply making everyone in the game a rightie.
That way of "resolving" the handedness issue is vexing almost to the point of being offensive. I understand that lefties are a minority, but our different-handedness makes for interesting advantages and disadvantages in games and everyday life alike, so having that aspect completely removed from the game seems odd to me. Also it's more than a bit lazy.

Edit: Whoops, didn't read obisean's post before posting this. Essentially I agree with him!

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
SharPhoe said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I've basically come to the conclusion that no matter how great our graphics engines may become, no matter how powerful our game systems get, there will ALWAYS be clipping issues.
Don't forget the lag... I SHUDDER to think at what lag issues this hair could cause.

But yeah, I can understand THQ's reasons for doing that. It must be a real pain to animate that sort of thing properly.