Cliff Bleszinski May Open His Own Studio

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Cliff Bleszinski May Open His Own Studio

The former Gears of War developer still wants to produce AAA titles.

Cliff Bleszinski's days with Epic Games may be over [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119936-Cliff-Bleszinski-Leaves-Epic-Games], but he's not ready to quit the gaming industry just yet. Since his departure, he has been visiting game studio after game studio and occupying his mind with the business side of videogames, from planning out new projects to learning how to manage a business. While Cliffy B has no immediate plans to jump back into game development, he's been giving serious thought to both what kind of game he'd like to make, and what kind of position he'd like to occupy.

"One of the main things I've been considering is opening my own studio," says Bleszinski. The main thing standing in his way, however, is the fact that being a company owner comes with much more emotional responsibility than being a designer. "If you have 150 people that you're responsible for, with their families and their children and all that, that's a lot of weight." In order to become a studio head, Bleszinski would need to learn a whole lot about loans, mortgages, and how business finance works. While he's willing to put the work in to do so, he isn't necessarily married to the idea. "Being an employee of somebody else or being a consultant are also options."

Should Bleszinski start his own studio, he would want to start small, but has no interest in staying that way for too long. "I would want to get back to the triple-A space eventually," he explains. After the immense support Microsoft threw behind Gears of War, Bleszinski grew to enjoy having the budget and prestige necessary for making a game launch a big event. That said, his next AAA project wouldn't necessarily be a retread of his previous work, citing Halo's physics - and the multitude of YouTube videos it spawns - as inspiration. "Moving forward, the type of game I want to build would not be this super-linear Gears or Uncharted type of campaign game. It would be something that's much more free-flowing in regards to the number of systems that work together to create new and emergent gameplay."

Whatever Bleszinski's next project is, he's built up enough of a reputation in the gaming world that a number of people will eagerly invest in it. We know that Gears of War didn't necessarily turn out to be the exact product that Bleszinski wanted [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116285-Bleszinski-Gears-Became-a-Negative-Stereotype], so it will be interesting to see what he develops under his own power.

Source: VentureBeat [http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/23/life-after-epic-getting-to-know-cliff-bleszinski-exclusive-interview-part-two-his-present-and-future/]

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
But what can he do without a massive budget aimed at a great multiplayer experience? I mean, the biggest strength behind the Gears of War franchise were the setpieces and the multiplayer. The shooting or writing/story was never that great.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
He will be better off making some app for mobiles, and stay off the PC radar after his treatment of that market.
I hope he doesn't plan to make some PC titles to boost his way onto the console market... PC gamers still be mad RealCliffyb

Other than that bit of nastiness I do sincerely wish him success in his future non PC ventures.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Here's hoping he opens "DudeBro Studios" in 2015!

Come on, you know you want it.

LostintheWick

Sep 29, 2009
I don't mind Cliffy, but is it necessary to make everything he does into news? Can we stop making him a celebrity for doing what a ton of folks are already doing (and some better)?

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Cliffy announces his next game: Sprockets of Conflict.

I doubt he'll start his own studio. As demonstrated by his hissyfit about Gears3 not getting perfect 10s across the board, he doesn't have skin thick enough to venture out on his own and risk failure if he can't even handle getting mild criticism.

Also, let's not kid ourselves, Gears scores are padded, if only slightly but I'd suspect more, by the fact Microsoft is attached and review sites don't want to speak negatively for fear of falling out of Microsoft's good graces. Imagine how his debut game would be received if it was another bro-based cover-shooter without the threat of big M getting angry.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
This clown is gonna open DudeBro Studios and make a game about a living chainsaw that goes around chainsawing other chainsaws with a chain saw attached to his head. Because no game is good without a chainsaw right?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
LostintheWick said:
I don't mind Cliffy, but is it necessary to make everything he does into news? Can we stop making him a celebrity for doing what a ton of folks are already doing (and some better)?
Objective journalism died decades ago. Celebrity worship and random stupid shit sells.
On Topic: Admittedly, this does mean I am never going to see a port or sequel of Shadow Complex.

WonderWillard

Feb 4, 2010
koroem said:
This clown is gonna open DudeBro Studios and make a game about a living chainsaw that goes around chainsawing other chainsaws with a chain saw attached to his head. Because no game is good without a chainsaw right?
I lol'ed, but I also think you're being a little harsh. I think we all remember him running out onto the stage at E3 for Gears 2 with his chainsaw and being.. Well, being CliffyB. But he's trying to shed his douchebag/bro persona, and a lot of the things he has said in the past few years make him sound like a very sincere, hard-working game developer. [quote post="7.399299.16366303"]
"I would want to get back to the triple-A space eventually," he explains. After the immense support Microsoft threw behind Gears of War, Bleszinski grew to enjoy having the budget and prestige necessary for making a game launch a big event. That said, his next AAA project wouldn't necessarily be a retread of his previous work, citing Halo's physics - and the multitude of YouTube videos it spawns - as inspiration. "Moving forward, the type of game I want to build would not be this super-linear Gears or Uncharted type of campaign game. It would be something that's much more free-flowing in regards to the number of systems that work together to create new and emergent gameplay."
[/quote]

That right there excites me. If he really does follow through with that goal, I think the next project he works on could be really cool.

Fuzzed

Dec 27, 2012
If another gaming website posts this pic of Cliff on their website again, I'm going to blow my brains out

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Here's hoping when he does make his own studio is that he dumps MS as a publisher seeing as how he wanted the DLC to go free initially but MS didn't want any of that cake.