CliffyB Sticks Up for the Wii U

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
17,672
0
0
CliffyB Sticks Up for the Wii U


People might trash talk the Wii U now, says Bleszinski, but when it comes out, they'll buy it like everyone else.

Epic design director Cliff Bleszinski has defended the Wii against its detractors, specifically those who are saying that it's just a retread of Sega's Dreamcast. The oft-outspoken developer said that not every console had to reinvent the wheel, and that old ideas led to new ones.

"The Power Glove led to the Wii, right? The Virtual Boy led to the 3DS, right?" he said. "A lot of these older technologies that you forget about are [the technological predecessors]." Bleszinksi was excited about the possibilities that the Wii U controller offered, joking that it would allow him to play console games while sitting on the toilet. When it came to the console's detractors, he said that as much as people might bash the console now, he was confident that everyone would buy it when it came out. "It's Nintendo," he said "They'll talk shit but they'll buy it."

It seems bizarre to anyone to single the Wii U out for building on older ideas; analog sticks have been around for years, and yet no one calls out the PS3 and the Xbox 360 for being just like the N64. New consoles have always built on the hardware that came before it, and the Wii U is no different.

Source: Industry Gamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/gears-designer-nintendo-haters-will-talk-sht-but-will-still-buy-wii-u/]


Permalink
 

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
2,263
0
1
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Gender
Guy
yes because thats why I trashed the wii's dumb motion controls and I own every gen system BUT THE Wii.


I dont want the Wii U or 3DS I dont hate nintendo I just hate how there doing shit right now :/
 

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
2,536
0
0
The Power Glove led to the Wii? The Virtual Boy led to the 3DS? Alrighty then.

I guess we have roughly 17 years to wait before Nintendo turns that new turd of a controller into gold, right?
 

mad825

New member
Mar 28, 2010
3,379
0
0
Of course it will sell but fucking cares about that?

The Iphone sold pretty well but is/was it actually a revolutionary piece of technology? No. The point I'm trying to make I that so long as the marketing goes well, it will sell well.

Lastly, it seems like a poor desperate attempt from Epic to justify the WiiU as all technology is about improvement and implementing it into sociality
 

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
19,428
4,219
118
So his defense of the Wii U is that we're gonna buy it anyway eventhough we think it's shit?

That's uh,... That's a convincing argument alright!
 

JourneyThroughHell

New member
Sep 21, 2009
5,010
0
0
Aaand waiting for Cliffy to claim he's being misinterpreted again in three... two... one.

Seriously though, I like the guy but that just makes no fucking sense. I don't really think that the people trashtalking it online will be the ones buying it. The people Nintendo's aiming to get with this don't use the Internet.
 

William Fleming

New member
Mar 6, 2011
218
0
0
I wouldn't buy it until there are more games I would play (titles shown at E3 all seemed to be multi-platform except 1st party stuff and I haven't really liked Nintendo's first party stuff since the Gamecube(except Smash Bros Brawl)), also am I the only one who thinks that controller looks horrible to hold?
 

ReservoirAngel

New member
Nov 6, 2010
3,781
0
0
JourneyThroughHell said:
The people Nintendo's aiming to get with this don't use the Internet.
Cause massive generalisations are kewl!

Nintendo are aiming this at casuals and at 'hardcore' gamers. Nintendo have the right idea, it's just the 'hardcore' internet crowd are pricks who never want to accept anything new and judge a console off the demographic of its predecessor.
 

orangeban

New member
Nov 27, 2009
1,442
0
0
JourneyThroughHell said:
Aaand waiting for Cliffy to claim he's being misinterpreted again in three... two... one.

Seriously though, I like the guy but that just makes no fucking sense. I don't really think that the people trashtalking it online will be the ones buying it. The people Nintendo's aiming to get with this don't use the Internet.
What? Now, if anything doesn't make sense, it's that. What do you mean the people the WiiU is aimed at don't use the internet, the WiiU is aimed at a few groups, "casual" gamers who use the internet (isn't the ultimate "casual gamer" place Facebook?), kids (who constantly use the internet) and the people who bought the Wii (my theory is that the Wii was a way of getting people into gaming, and now Nintendo is trying to appeal to the same people, with something a little more "hardcore"). That group might use the internet, it might not.

Really, Nintendo is going for "mainstream appeal" and what's mainstream? The internet.
 

JourneyThroughHell

New member
Sep 21, 2009
5,010
0
0
orangeban said:
What? Now, if anything doesn't make sense, it's that. What do you mean the people the WiiU is aimed at don't use the internet, the WiiU is aimed at a few groups, "casual" gamers who use the internet (isn't the ultimate "casual gamer" place Facebook?), kids (who constantly use the internet) and the people who bought the Wii (my theory is that the Wii was a way of getting people into gaming, and now Nintendo is trying to appeal to the same people, with something a little more "hardcore"). That group might use the internet, it might not.

Really, Nintendo is going for "mainstream appeal" and what's mainstream? The internet.
Alright, I'll rephrase that. Those people don't partake in console arguments over the internet. They're not likely to be on gaming forums.
 

orangeban

New member
Nov 27, 2009
1,442
0
0
JourneyThroughHell said:
orangeban said:
What? Now, if anything doesn't make sense, it's that. What do you mean the people the WiiU is aimed at don't use the internet, the WiiU is aimed at a few groups, "casual" gamers who use the internet (isn't the ultimate "casual gamer" place Facebook?), kids (who constantly use the internet) and the people who bought the Wii (my theory is that the Wii was a way of getting people into gaming, and now Nintendo is trying to appeal to the same people, with something a little more "hardcore"). That group might use the internet, it might not.

Really, Nintendo is going for "mainstream appeal" and what's mainstream? The internet.
Alright, I'll rephrase that. Those people don't partake in console arguments over the internet. They're not likely to be on gaming forums.
Why? Because they aren't "hardcore"? They aren't "true gamers"? There are Nintendo gaming forums you know, and plenty of Xbox and PS3 gamers don't care to get bogged down in arguments, really, paraphrasing something someone above me said, that's just a massive generilization.
 

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
2,536
0
0
ReservoirAngel said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
The people Nintendo's aiming to get with this don't use the Internet.
Cause massive generalisations are kewl!

Nintendo are aiming this at casuals and at 'hardcore' gamers. Nintendo have the right idea, it's just the 'hardcore' internet crowd are pricks who never want to accept anything new and judge a console off the demographic of its predecessor.
I surely hope the second bolded statement is meant to be sarcastic, or ironic, or something. Otherwise you've completely lost whatever credibility the first bolded statement was meant to convey.
 

JourneyThroughHell

New member
Sep 21, 2009
5,010
0
0
ReservoirAngel said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
The people Nintendo's aiming to get with this don't use the Internet.
Cause massive generalisations are kewl!
I'm not saying people who will buy that console are old people and kids. I'm saying that that is who Nintendo has been constantly targeting for the last six years.

ReservoirAngel said:
Nintendo are aiming this at casuals and at 'hardcore' gamers. Nintendo have the right idea, it's just the 'hardcore' internet crowd are pricks who never want to accept anything new and judge a console off the demographic of its predecessor.
It's not the "new" thing really, or the "demographic" of the predecessor. It's the fact that their E3 conference was so bad that many of the so-called "pricks" lost hope in that company.

You're welcome.
 

JourneyThroughHell

New member
Sep 21, 2009
5,010
0
0
orangeban said:
Why? Because they aren't "hardcore"? They aren't "true gamers"? There are Nintendo gaming forums you know, and plenty of Xbox and PS3 gamers don't care to get bogged down in arguments, really, paraphrasing something someone above me said, that's just a massive generilization.
Yes. Because all of that. Nintendo alienated a lot of people with what they're doing. I don't think that none of their dedicated fans will support them nor did I ever say so. However, the people they're mostly appealing to won't do such a thing over the Internet.

I don't see any generalizations there.
 

Adzma

New member
Sep 20, 2009
1,287
0
0
Seems to be a good business plan though dear Cliffy. It's like that episode of Family Guy where they all start out bashing Barry Manilow and then quickly start gushing about how great he is.

That's what Nintendo banks on. Literally.
 

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
938
0
0
I think he may be generalizing that even though people will trash talk it, people will buy it...though not necessarily the same people (though I'm sure there will be plenty of those too). For example I'm not going to trash talk it, but in all likelihood I'm going to buy it if it has half the Wiimote support of the Wii...bout time I get a few decent FPS games on a console without having to use fiddly thumbsticks as the Wii was somewhat lacking in that area, as is the PS3 with the Move.

That and the tablet controller doesn't seem half as bad as it's made out to be...I'll admit that I wouldn't have put buttons and thumbsticks on it as they probably won't be very ergonomic with the size and weight of the thing, but being able to have a touch screen on your lap to be a constant menu or inventory screen, etc could have it's uses, while limited. Though I'm sure someone will find a way to do something truly great with it - it may just take a while.
 

Vozati

New member
Jun 8, 2010
33
0
0
The Nintendo Wii is the only video game console I regret buying. Like hell I'm going to get taken for another ride with that shifty looking controller scheme.