Clippy the Paperclip Returns in MS Office Game Ribbon Hero 2

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Clippy the Paperclip Returns in MS Office Game Ribbon Hero 2

Microsoft wants to teach people how to better utilize Office, so it's created a tutorial videogame starring everybody's favorite anthropomorphic paperclip.

For all its usefulness and power, Microsoft Office has never been the most user-friendly piece of software, especially compared to similar programs created by Microsoft's rivals in the industry. To remedy this, the Office team has thoroughly embraced the idea of Gamification [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2985-Gamification] - that is, they've turned the Office tutorial into a videogame.

[ms_showcase=1d95f41b-9ae0-4a10-98aa-d673648d24ad]

What's more is that Ribbon Hero 2 brings back the onetime scourge of all MS Word users - Clippy the paperclip. Yes, Clippy, the cheery little paperclip who popped up every time you wrote a phrase like "Dear Bob" to offer advice on writing a letter/resume/political manifesto/suicide note.

In Ribbon Hero 2, players must aid Clippy in his journey through time, helping him get back home to the present day. To accomplish this, they'll be tasked with challenges in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote - the example in the video asks users to change the margins on a document, and then change the orientation. Simple enough, right? If you have no idea how to do so, you can get hints to walk you through the process, but completing the challenge hint-free awards you more points.

All joking aside, this is actually a pretty cool idea for a tutorial. Microsoft Office is notoriously arcane, and wrapping the tutorial in a friendly game-like skin can only help.

Plus, I never really minded Clippy all that much anyway. I thought he was kind of adorable in his earnestness. He just wants to help you write a letter; throw him a bone for once!

(Office Blog [http://blogs.office.com/b/office_casual/archive/2011/04/26/ribbon-hero-2-how-to-play-the-game.aspx])

Randomtime

Apr 2, 2009
Seems like Microsoft's been watching Extra Credits, or perhaps I'm noticing Gamification more now I've seen their episode about it.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
No.

No. No, no no no no NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE HAS RETURNED! ARM THE DEFENSES!!!!

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
That's... actually pretty clever. I've never had problems with office, having grown up with it, but this could be especially useful for people who are new to Windows.

Randomtime said:
Seems like Microsoft's been watching Extra Credits, or perhaps I'm noticing Gamification more now I've seen their episode about it.
Could be a bit of both, honestly

OldAccount

Sep 10, 2010
I sort of want to know what the guy in the video has been smoking.

Regardless I'll be downloading this for if no other reason then to see the Extra Credits guys' vision of Gamification in action.

LegoDudeGuy

Young punks, get off my lawn.
Jun 9, 2010
This looks like a good step forward.

This will not only encourage better use of software like Word and PowerPoint, but it also allows more exposure for Clippy!

I love that paper clip!

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I always loved Clippy, but it was probably cuz I was young and liked the character. I'll probably play it, just for fun.

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009
They could have used the other characters that helped you out in Office (which you could change by right clicking clippy) like the robot, the dog and the others

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I see no video, bub. It keeps asking me to install a plugin and nothing comes of it.

OT, I have always been fond of Clippy. The people who complain about seeing him too much are the people who didn't know how to disable the tutorial/replace him with the adorable dog and thus are the exact people who needed the magic office supply's help the most.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
It looks cool, nice art style and its good that it has a very clean style. There is only one thing that they could reward the student (anyone that plays this is a guy learning the software) and that is something worth the work of unlocking the chalenges, why not add cutscenes with some humour beetween "worlds" to make the student engaged in moving forward.

In the current state the only thing that motivates the student is the need to improve his knowladge, with this curiosity would also be used to motivate.

Still, the points and level ups can be still enough to motivate him through the first few lessons

meece

Apr 15, 2008
I preferred the cat but each to their own. The Ribbon can go burn in a hole though.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
clippy has returned the end of society as we know it is here nnnnnoooooooooooo

oh wait this is 2011 and i now open office phew guess i am still safe to never see that damn paper clip again

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
clippy? in a FUCKMOTHERING game?!?
so, the important question that we are all asking is..

can we kill it? ohpleasemakethatwecankillit, pleasepleaseplease!

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I dont mind clippy... clippy is alright, just a distraction and nuisance.

What I resent is the hope that by putting it into game format they THINK I will somehow magically LIKE the ribbon.

Its Mojave all over again.

Dear Microsoft, would you kindly stop trying to inform me what I should like. Im sorry, I am not interested in anyone trying to force feed me my opinions.