Closest you've gotten to accidently killing your self

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
Trying to fix a fuel leak in the engine bay of my car. Fuel was leaking out of the fuel line at a rapid rate. I was doing up a hose clamp with a shifter and whilst adjusting the shifter accidentally touched one end of the shifter to the positive battery terminal and the other end of the shifter to the chassis.

This caused a few sparks in my fuel drenched engine bay. Somehow, the fuel vapors didn't ignite and I live to tell the tale.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I've nearly been run over a few times(only once was my stupidity though). Once because I was stupid and tried to beat my carpooling siblings back to the house, thus not looking properly before crossing the street. The second was because the woman in the minivan didn't think to look behind her while backing up in a school parking lot at dismissal time (I'm only 5'0". I can't be seen easily), and the third was someone speeding in a school zone and not slowing at all for a kid crossing the street (he was at the other end of the street when I started crossing his lane. Which was a good 7-10 meters away. I had to run in order to avoid becoming street pizza).

And I don't think illness counts as 'almost accidentally killing myself'.

EDIT:\\ Also, I almost drowned when I was five or so. My friend lived in the country and his family had a mini lake in the field behind their house. We were out swimming and I followed my friend (who could swim) into an area that was pretty deep and sank like a brick. After a few times of managing to get back to the surface, my friend's dad spotted me and came to get me. I still haven't thanked him for that. (I haven't seen him since I was seven.)

Harold Donchee

Jul 6, 2009
I was like 5 or something. I don't remember the exact story. It was with my dad, uncle, and cousin at a large creek or small river in Pennslyvania. My dad and uncle were fishing while my cousin and I just explored. We were walking along the edge of the water untill I got tired of walking on sharp rocks. I went towards the middle of the water, which wasn't deep but was moving much faster than I could swim. I climbed up the rocks against the current basically. I did this for a few seconds untill my uncle saw me and told me to get the fuck back to the edge. When I looked back at him I realized there was a waterfall not far behind me. I never found out how high it was, but the water below probably wasn't deep enough to fall safely into. I was only 5 though so things mightve seemed bigger and faster than they were.

capin Rob

Apr 2, 2010
I dropped 95 pounds on my chest whiled bench pressing. II don't bench press much, so it was difficult an i dropped it, I guess thats my closest

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
Thedayrecker said:
Decided to post this here cause your other post (by the way you double posted) seems to be less lively.

OT: Once (while high) me and my friends saw an aligator, and decided to throw something at it. What should we throw? Of course, doughnuts, that we bought on an impulse because, hey, we were high.

Long story short it came out of the water and I assume it chased us, but I was running away to quickly to look.
I ever tell you about the time my buddy Keith got rolled by a gator in a swamp?

Anyways, I spilt juice on an outlet and tried wiping it up. When I saw the sparks, I leapt backwards, and everyone there called me the luckiest idiot. I feel like Keith now.

Sark

Jun 21, 2009
I was in a fish and chip shop in Glasglow and I ordered a hamburger.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
I've nearly been run over a few times, but those are boring stories.

A while back I was hospitalized. Lunchtime came around and there was a "special cookie" delivered specially for me. It was "special" because it was written on my medical chart that I had a chocolate allergy and chocalate chip cookies came with the day's lunch. I bit down and realized the "special cookie" switched because of a listed allergy was a peanut butter cookie. I'm even more allergic to peanuts!

It was a good thing I was already in the hospital and just an elevator ride away from the E.R. because after three minutes I went into anaphylactic shock and passed out.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Me and some friends set off a Molotov cocktail in the large garbage can outside my house after dumping all its contents on the ground and putting cinder-blocks at the bottom (so the glass would break). Me and two other guys were about to do that with nothing but a small bucket of water and a fire hose. One guy in the group demanded that we get a large bucket of sand before starting. After we set it off, fire came up about 20 feet (one had already broken but failed to light at the bottom, so there was extra fuel already in the bin). If it hadn't been for him making us get the bucket of sand, we would have set the tree above us on fire and it would have probably fallen and killed us (then burnt down my house).

We were sheerly idiotic.

The Stonker

Feb 26, 2009
Well I've almost died 3 times.

Suicide attempt (kinda stupid I was going to hang my self but then the rope snapped (few) )
Almost runned over when I was like 6 when I was walking down the street and looked both ways then no car was there but all of a sudden an automobile on 200 km per hour came and almost crashed me maybe 5 cm that was between me and the car.

When I got mugged but I actually managed to escape with wit,Aikido and a whole lot of running,but the story in this is that he held me at knife point and I managed to be quick enough and actually stabbed him in he leg with his knife.

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
When I was about 7 I was playing at a public playground. Some other kids were using the teeter-totter as a make-shift catapult, and somehow I just smacked right between the eyes by the launching end as it was going up.
I'm assuming it was possibly life threatening because the only knowledge of the event I have is what was told to me to explain the large scar on my forehead.

smudgey

May 8, 2008
Car rollover, i was driving. I remember screaming as it happened, then climbing out of the wreckage covered in blood. Still can't get those pictures out of my head.

New Years Eve, getting ready to go out drinking. Took my migraine medication before i left. Blacked out. Woke up in a gutter. Blacked out again. Thankfully one of my brothers found me and got me home, propping me up with pillows so i wouldn't roll onto my back and drown on my own vomit.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Once in the middle of one of my little... uhm... emotional breakdown, I guess u can call it, I beat my head against my bathroom mirror until it broke. when I was done, and bleeding from a cut under the left eye, I took a larger piece and held it up to my neck for about half an hour. I wanted to do it so badly at the moment but I couldn't I ended up crying myself to sleep then watching iron chef until my dad to get home with mah meds...

Or did u want accidental examples?
well this one time I... um... er... wait I got one! this one time I tired to eat a hot dog in one bite and long story short I ended up passing out before my friend could help me.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
I used to have a study bunk a long time ago and a waist high bookcase slightly in front of the ladder. I once fell straight off the top and nearly slammed my neck into the top edge of the bookcase. Thankfully I grabbed onto the ladder at the last second.

Another time when I use to do white-water kayaking I got stuck inside because I couldn't get my spray deck off. My instructor swam down the entire course and saved my life.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
When I was a toddler, I managed to escape from the house, go up the driveway and sit in the middle of the road waving a trucks. I was a dumb little f***.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
Cleaning my house, I thought mixing bleach with windex would make some magical clean-all solution.

Good thing my mom caught me mixing and told me what I was doing.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Killing myself? Accidentally? Well I've been in a few car crashes, I had some idiot almost shoot me once, got mugged in Melbourne (lovely experience) at knife point, almost walked into traffic a few times by accident (and once on purpose before I stopped myself, got a ride home, and went right to the doctors to get help) and I'm sure a dozen other little things I didn't even notice.

But the one thing that sticks out in my mind is something incredibly stupid I did oh over 20 years ago now, I must of been 7 or 8 and I was obsessed with the marital art movies of the 80s, so I got a knife, a bit of string, tied to it an over hanging post and swung it really hard... I can still remember the knife coming at my face and the sound it made wizzing past my ear... that was the exact moment I realised my own mortality.