Clothing Items you just don't understand

ZexionSephiroth

Apr 7, 2011
Most people don't know this but high heels were actually worn by men before they were worn by women, because high heels give a feeling of elevation and power. Sounds narcissistic I know, but that's why high heels are so sexy on a woman. They elongate the legs, making them longer and slimmer. Speak to any woman who likes heels and she will tell you that they are empowering and help her to feel confident. For some women that confidence is innate and for some it's fake and goes away the second she takes those heels off.
Although that is a legitimate point, let me give a counterpoint...

Ever heard of Platform shoes? They look infinitely more comfortable, infinitely better looking for young people, and are freaking stylish.

Meanwhile, High-Heels look awkward, Hideous on young people, only worn by older Women, and once the heel breaks off (Which it will) you're left with something that looks like it should be on the feet of roman Gladiators.

As for the chance of doing something to your ankle? About the same.

---

Anyways, I don't really understand anything that can't reasonably be assumed to be suitable for both genders as a norm. Save for Bra for Women (Since that's important for at least some women, though not necessarily all.).

So basically: Skirts, Dresses, High-Heels, Earrings, Baggy Shorts, Hairbands, Scrunchies, Pantyhose, Corsets, Girdles, Frills, Kilts, Beards, mostashes, Perfectly Shaved or Trimmed anything, Great Long Hair, Extremely Short Hair, Purses, Clothing without Pockets, Backless clothing, Clothing that exposes Midriff, Gowns, The majority of hats, anything that is only held up by tiny strings, stuff that is only held up by how tight it is, Ribbons in hair, brooches, Braids, Ponytails, Pigtails, See through anything, Necklaces, Tiaras, Rings, Bracelets, Belly-warmers, Plunging Necklines, G-Strings and Thongs, Most Robes, Fishnet anything, anything tied or woven into your hair, Loincloths, Anything with a complex color pattern, Flowers, Jeans...

Yes... I just said Jeans... They don't suit any gender since they are rigid as hell and hard to move in... Now Where was I?

...Sandles, Flipflops, Lipstick, Blush, False Eyelashes, eyebrow Trimming, Fake Nails, Nail Paint, Nail Polish, Mascara, Eye shadow, Bra-Stuffing, Water-Bras, Breast Implants, Breast Reductions, Nose jobs, Collagen Implants anywhere, Speedos, Bikinis, the so called "One-Piece" Swimwear, a toupee, Piercings anywhere, Shoes without a tongue, Cod-Pieces, Budgie Smugglers, The act of Stuffing your Underwear, Crotch Pumps, Glitter, Anything encrusted with gems or Pearls, Ribons, Bows, Streamers, Aprons, Veils, Head-dresses...

I think I'm Running low on things I can list off the top of my head... But Needless to say, If I can tell your gender just by looking through your wardrobe, I don't understand your fashion.

(Androgyny for the Win!)

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Uhura said:
Daveman said:
And WOMEN. Black leggings alone are not acceptable clothing. It just tells me that you are a slut but your actual legs look like shit.
Wtf? Wearing black leggins has nothing to do with being "a slut".
Not according to what the black leggings are telling me and I trust them over you.

Alex Graves

Aug 16, 2012
Onessies...what....no really what?

Anyway my big ones are the idiotic deals like wearing a nice thick coat warm full boots and no pants....most commonly they are in short shorts or something that are barely longer then underwear. These people also do nothing but complain how cold it is outside and I have to sit there and fight the urge to smack them...in the face....with a car...no not drive over them pick up a car like the hulk and just high five them in the bloody face. Also, for the girls, anything that you know is "slutty" (short shorts, and belly shirts that barely cover your tits) and then do nothing but complain when guys stare at you leaving a river a drool at their feet, come on really you know that's whats going to happen so wear something more practical or quit your bitching. Now to avoid sexism claims, male douchebags with the baggy pants, no not the ones where they just forgot their belt so it is an inch or two low, no the idiots who have their pants down at their knees and their underpants are completely visible to the world. Whats worse about these outfits is, almost every time, they have a belt on the pants too so they have to try and hold them up...I watched one guy eat more pavement then almost any other time in my life a few months back because the belt around his knees tripped him as he tried to run from some cops slid three feet on the pavement was hilarious. Then my last big one is tight clothes, I can understand somewhat skinny clothes that are just at the right size that you don't need to worry about them coming off (I personally like enough room to actually move but yeah). The ones that really bother me are the ones that look like if they move all of their clothes which just pop right off their body, the clothes that are so tight it doesn't even make sense how you got into the cloths, let alone are able to move. Also tight clothes on fat people, but that is more because how nasty it is to see, and by fat I mean the obese 5-600 pound people who look bigger then their cars (but I live in 'merica where going for a walk at the park is driving around it a few times and then going home, so I am a bit biased there I'm sure).

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
Aris Khandr said:
It's been like, what, 20 years since they started becoming a thing, and I still don't get why people have their jeans around their thighs.
It use to mean a sign that the person was gay and was looking for casual engagement. Now I don't think people no longer wear em like that.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
Daveman said:
Uhura said:
Daveman said:
And WOMEN. Black leggings alone are not acceptable clothing. It just tells me that you are a slut but your actual legs look like shit.
Not according to what the black leggings are telling me and I trust them over you.
Calling somebody a slut just because you disagree with their fashion sense is a pretty douchy move. I don't see how the actor Jennifer Love Hewitt is in any way relevant to this discussion. I doubt you know anything about her sex life.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
bificommander said:
Neckties. They're a giant pain with absolutely no benefits to the wearer, except that it culturally signals "This person is a serious buisnessman".
Hehe, you should see some of my ties. Paisley FTW!

At least they add a bit of colour to an otherwise plain shirt, so that is a benefit, if a small one. No real practical use though.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Uhura said:
Daveman said:
Uhura said:
Daveman said:
Calling somebody a slut just because you disagree with their fashion sense is a pretty douchy move. I don't see how the actor Jennifer Love Hewitt is in any way relevant to this discussion. I doubt you know anything about her sex life.
I vote we call people who wear leggings without a skirt or shorts or something over the top every goddamn name under the sun till they sort that shit out! It looks terrible! Where it doesn't show too much detail it bags awkwardly, and then you might as well just spraypaint your lower body black. Or whatever colour you prefer your leggings to be.

However leggings with a skirt look great. Wear them with a dress or something. God. But for the love of god, women, stop behaving like they're trousers.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Fedoras, because of their sudden trend for wearing among My Little Pony fans.

And beanies, what the hell is the point wearing one indoors? Headwear like that is meant to keep your head warm during cold weather, not when it is 65 degrees inside.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
wintercoat said:
Do high heels count? Because I can't for the life of me understand why people still wear them.

Now, I don't mean all heels, mind, just the large ones, those that are several inches high. Short heels are fine, as they allow for more even weight distribution than the others, and can even be quite comfortable for short periods of time.

No, I'm talking about the type that put all of your weight on overstressed toes. The ones that are 3+ inches in height and bend the ankle sharply. They're literally torture devices that are willingly worn for the sake of fashion. It's absurd. They're never comfortable, a pain to walk in, and can lead to compression fractures in your foot bones. There is literally no good reason to wear them.
They make your legs look thinner, and you, my friend, are obviously not only 5 feet tall. Now, I don't wear my crazy 6 in heels on regular occasion, but I depend on at least one set of my stilettos if I'm ever in a skirt for the sake of looking better. Yes, it's completely cosmetic, but they're so darn cute. And walking in them is eventually non-issue, usually by the time a girl as a teen after her age. I guess it's a woman thing, though. We do a lot of crap just to appear "pretty." (Please don't let this explanation incite a thread about gender issues, or feminism, or any sort of gender bashing. I'm just explaining my opinion, one that I share with many women.)

As for what I don't understand? Wearing fur boots with short shorts. Just... why?

PeterMerkin69

Dec 2, 2012
Fingerless gloves are pretty impractical. If you think they look cool that's fine, but the point in keeping your hands toasty is to prevent frostbite and keep your fingers nimble. Cold stiffens them and deadens your senses--that's why you hear cliches about it being so cold you can't feel your fingers or toes or whatever--and the extreme ends of your extremities are the most frostbite prone areas of limbs. So, yeah, the rest of your hands are toasty, but the important parts that you need for unlocking doors, or sending texts, or pulling triggers, are still fucked. It defeats the whole point in leaving your fingers uncovered in the first place.

source: Chicago winters and a lot of outdoor activities.

As for what I don't get about clothing items... skinny pants on very thin men. It's disgusting, their bodies are disgusting and those stupid pants highlight their disgusting bodies. god. gross. do some squats or something already.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Any trousers that are worn in such a manner that the hips are barely keeping them aloft. Seems very popular amongst the youths of today. Drives me crazy.

You get "bonus points" if I can see the waistband of your expensive Calvin Klein underwear as well. Jerks.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
Bowties: No offence to anyone who actually wears them, but they just make me associate the people who wear them with clowns.

Sandals (in britain): You live in britain, a country which is, 90% of the time, freezing. A sounder investment would have been a pair of shoes.

Earrings: again, no offence, but i have never saw someone wearing a pair of earrings and thought that it enhanced their appearance

Jewellery in general: pretty much my argument for earrings.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
Am I really the only dude who LIKES the leggings only look? Whoever is wearing them needs to have good legs to pull it of, but when they can, I think it looks really sexy... I do think they look a bit stupid when they wear socks over them though.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Edit: I posted a better reply to a comment further down, having forgotten I did this one.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Jeans with tears in them.
I'm talking about buying them that way.
I get if they were just normal pants before; (I assume) we all keep our clothes for a long time and sometimes some of them get weathered, okay, I get that.
But when you walk into a store and you immediately start looking at these...

I just, what is the decision-making process there?