Clothing Items you just don't understand

YingDerpington

Apr 23, 2012
So I was watching a series when a character came on screen wearing what may have been the oddest apparel ever, in another mans words it looked like a cross between a french maid and a vietnamese hooker. So the big question is, what bits and pieces of clothing do you just not understand the point of?

personally I don't see the point in fingerless gloves unless you're using a firearm. Nor do I understand having frills on clothing, or those weird ribbons some dresses have.

EDIT: Seeing as some people have also posted about fashion statements, I believe that would also be something constructive here, fashion statements that boggle the mind shall be posted also!
I really don't understand the whole leggings or denim short-shorts/underwear + ugg boots combination that teens wear (Singlets and mid-riff exposing tank tops optional!)

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Fingerless gloves are actually pretty useful when it's cold and you need to type, or do anything that requires a lot of finger finesse.

Clothing items I don't understand - Uggs and sleeveless hoodies.

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
YingDerpington said:
personally I don't see the point in fingerless gloves unless you're using a firearm.
Oh, it's useful alright? It keeps hands warm while you're typing or writing. Also, very cool to look at.

Nathan Crumpler

Sep 1, 2011
I don't understand thongs. I get it when someone is wearing a bikini or a short skirt, but what about when some one is wearing jeans? If you want to look like you aren't wearing underwear, don't wear underwear.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Whats not to understand about finger-less gloves? They keep your hands relatively warm without interfering with your ability to use your fingers and some just like the look. I hate wearing full gloves.

I don't understand fake pockets. I get that pockets are used for look aswell I guess but why not just give me a real pocket? its annoying

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
It's been like, what, 20 years since they started becoming a thing, and I still don't get why people have their jeans around their thighs.

I also don't get ties. I get uncomfortable in a tightly knit turtleneck. I can't imagine why you would want to basically have a silk noose around your neck.

Not so much a clothing I don't understand, but guys, why do you call your undershirts 'wifebeaters'? Don't you realise how awful that sounds?

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Do high heels count? Because I can't for the life of me understand why people still wear them.

Now, I don't mean all heels, mind, just the large ones, those that are several inches high. Short heels are fine, as they allow for more even weight distribution than the others, and can even be quite comfortable for short periods of time.

No, I'm talking about the type that put all of your weight on overstressed toes. The ones that are 3+ inches in height and bend the ankle sharply. They're literally torture devices that are willingly worn for the sake of fashion. It's absurd. They're never comfortable, a pain to walk in, and can lead to compression fractures in your foot bones. There is literally no good reason to wear them.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
DementedSheep said:
I don't understand fake pockets. I get that pockets are used for look aswell I guess but why not just give me a real pocket? its annoying
Here, here.

Oh, and any pre-damaged jeans where you pay for them to be worn in places. Why? Just do it yourself!

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Suits. Specifically business clothes. I don't own any, and I'll never wear them to an interview or anything. Just no chance.

You might be the best person in the world at your job. Or the worst. Sharp clothes do nothing to convince me either way. They don't inspire my confidence, that's for sure. Are you hiding something? Did your mother dress you? Who knows. I'm not crediting you a damned thing.

No amount of expert ironing of unpleasant clothes will erase the possibility from my mind that you're an inept sod who doesn't know shit about shit. So why not wear whatever makes you comfortable instead?

Doesn't matter I suppose. As long as I don't have to tag along. But with the above in mind, what's the point of them...

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Nathan Crumpler said:
I don't understand thongs. I get it when someone is wearing a bikini or a short skirt, but what about when some one is wearing jeans? If you want to look like you aren't wearing underwear, don't wear underwear.
For one, denim is not the most forgiving of fabrics when it comes to your junk. Thongs help. For two, things help reduce camel toe.

Candidus said:
Suits. Specifically business clothes. I don't own any, and I'll never wear them to an interview or anything. Just no chance.

You might be the best person in the world at your job. Or the worst. Sharp clothes do nothing to convince me either way. They don't inspire my confidence, that's for sure. Are you hiding something? Did your mother dress you? Who knows. I'm not crediting you a damned thing.

No amount of expert ironing of unpleasant clothes will erase the possibility from my mind that you're an inept sod who doesn't know shit about shit. So why not wear whatever makes you comfortable instead?

Doesn't matter I suppose. As long as I don't have to tag along. But with the above in mind, what's the point of them...
A good suit is comfortable to wear and makes you look great. Both are important.

I find your snap judgments on suit wearers hilarious, by the way. I suppose we should all wander around in holey jeans and slipknot shirts.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
Pretty much any clothing which serve no practical purpose whatsoever.
"Slut fashion" for women especially.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
AccursedTheory said:
I find your snap judgments on suit wearers hilarious, by the way. I suppose we should all wander around in holey jeans and slipknot shirts.
Make it Korn shirts, more hilarious that way :p

OT:Those hats you see at horse derby's or in fact any clothes you see at fashion model thingies. Just...why?...it's like Lady Gaga en masse.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
A girl I was friends with in school had a pair of jeans that had fake pockets.

Fake. Pockets.

I just... I don't... Why would...
DementedSheep said:
Well, it seems I've been ninja'd. I honestly didn't know that happened regularly. I really don't know why someone thought that was a good idea.
FalloutJack said:
Oh, and any pre-damaged jeans where you pay for them to be worn in places. Why? Just do it yourself!
I agree. (Though somehow my jeans only ever want to wear in the crotch.) I have a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shirt that had a pre-worn design, which I think looks awful. I also have a Donkey Kong shirt (displaying the first screen) the design of which has worn over the years. Looks much more better, and noticeably more authentic.
Aris Khandr said:
Not so much a clothing I don't understand, but guys, why do you call your undershirts 'wifebeaters'? Don't you realise how awful that sounds?
Far as I know, way back in the '40s there was a big domestic abuse arrest, and the man was wearing a tank top (only tank tops are wifebeaters, not all undershirts). The media called him the wifebeater and the name stuck through association.

I could be wrong. But it sounds right.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
I don't get propped collars.
I love wearing shirts and the concept of propping one collar to protect yourself against the wind in a coat or a trenchcoat is ok. But what is it with wearing multiple shirts at once and propping their collars up?
I don't understand where that thing even came from and I also don't understand people finding that look cool or swag or whatever...

can anyone explain this?

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
TheKasp said:
Alcamonic said:
Pretty much any clothing which serve no practical purpose whatsoever.
"Slut fashion" for women especially.
What the heck is 'slut fashion'?

On Topic: High heels. They look uncomfortable and for me personally they are a turnoff.
Super High heels, bleached hair, large hipster sunglasses (even while indoors) far too much makeup, short skirts, shirts which are possibly a few sizes too small.

This is fashion among young women and teens today, especially those who are more "outgoing" and fear that men will hate them otherwise.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
high heels, shit just looks uncomfortable.
pink shirts on white men, it just makes you look weird, stop it.
not exactly a clothing item but if you have a beard, groom it properly or you look like a bum.
turtlenecks. i always feel like i am being chocked in those

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Underware.

I'm not claiming to be particuarily ignorant here, but have a serious think as to the point of underware.

That's aside from having someone else take them off for you.