Clothing Items you just don't understand

purplecactus

Jun 25, 2012
Hot pants.
High heels.
Those completely misleading fake pockets that somehow managed to get attached to a lot of trousers (women's) that are supposed to be smart or smart causal. Bad enough that the designers think women don't need pockets (we do), but why on earth get our hopes up with the little fake pocket part? /rant

Come to think of it, I don't understand a lot of 'fancy' women's clothing. Probably comes of buying for functionality and practicality rather than what'll get me attention on a night out, for example. Oh well...

As for fingerless gloves, I use them when I'm out filming/taking pictures/messing about with fiddly rope work in chilly weather. They're quite useful, and you can almost always stick a pair of properly warm gloves on over them when you're not doing anything.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
DementedSheep said:
I don't understand fake pockets. I get that pockets are used for look aswell I guess but why not just give me a real pocket? its annoying
Changes the shape of the clothing.

OT: It's time to talk about fedoras. You all look terrible in them. No exceptions. People seem to think they're some kind of magic coolness device. They're not, they're just something that, for some reason, has been picked up by people on gaming forums - undoubtedly a great place for fashion advice - and labelled as 'cool'.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
My ex-girlfriend had this one piece short-suit thing. It was like called a romper or some shit and all I could think about was that sounds like something a baby would wear why is grown woman wearing something like that. It makes you look your pregnant even though your skinny, it has a similar type of pattern as several couches I've seen, you have to be completely naked in order to take a piss, and there is nothing fashionable about them.

Forobryt

Dec 14, 2012
TizzytheTormentor said:

Pant chains, just...why? It really doesn't look that cool.

Fingerless gloves on the other hand (see what I did there?) are good for doing tasks that require careful fingerwork such as typing and they keep your hands nice and toasty.
Depends what the chain is for. I have one but that is because I own a pocket watch that is attached via chain. And ive known some people to have keys on them due to always losing them.

But other than that yes silly chains.

OT: Personally as a glasses wearer I dont understand anyone who wears fake glasses for fashion. Glasses arent sexy....(unless on cute female librarians but thats a different topic).

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
False pockets you say? May I introduce false flies: possibly the most useless and irritating things on the planet. If not have a fly is bad, then teasing you the possibility of there of there being a fly should be made a criminal offence.

YingDerpington

Apr 23, 2012
Okay so the fingerless glove thing has been pointed out to me, but now I feel I must justify my logic. I figured that despite doing typing, writing etc. your fingers would still feel like freezing over (they did the one time I used fingerless gloves so I figured why the hell keep my palm warm but not the fingers?). 'Twould seem I was mistaken.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Anything that isn't loosely comfortable completely boggles my mind. Sure, dress attire for special events is one thing, but wearing uncomfortable clothing just for the fun of it?!? Take slim pants for instance... especially on guys... WTH? They not only wish to look silly, but also don't want to be able to move normally. Mind-boggled.

YingDerpington

Apr 23, 2012
Frieswiththat said:
False pockets you say? May I introduce false flies: possibly the most useless and irritating things on the planet. If not have a fly is bad, then teasing you the possibility of there of there being a fly should be made a criminal offence.
I'm going to need evidence or pictures of this before I can believe such an outrageous claim. Please do so at the next opportunity. Such a truly terrible abomination surely doesn't exist.

Thamian

Sep 3, 2008
TizzytheTormentor said:

Pant chains, just...why? It really doesn't look that cool.
Like fingerless gloves, when you're using them for something it makes sense. For myself, I'm often seen with a paracord lanyard (more or less the same thing but made of paracord) clipped to a belt loop and tucked into my pocket. On the other end of that lanyard are my keys so I don't lose the damned things.

That said wearing them for the sake of wearing them I don't get at all.

YingDerpington said:
personally I don't see the point in fingerless gloves unless you're using a firearm.
Another use for fingerless gloves that's not already been mentioned: any physical activity where you need both grip and finesse. For example, I work as an events technician, and over the course of a shift I'll have to throw around staging (grip), be running and plugging in cables (finesse), programming control consoles (finesse), or be climbing truss towers to re-programme lighting fixtures (both). Yeah I could wear full-fingered gloves and take them off when I need the fine control, but that just gets annoying after a while. Much easier just to put my gloves on at the start and forget about it.

OT:> The whole sagging trousers thing. How do you people not just fall over/trash the crotches of your trousers in record time?

Also girls that wear fucktons of make-up. It just looks like shit.

And of course those... bizarre over sized, slatted 'glasses' things. what's the point? All you're doing is half blinding yourself, which doesn't help, especially if you're out for the evening and getting hammered/high. Normal sunglasses I can understand if you're getting high but those things? No. Just no.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Me55enger said:
Underware.

I'm not claiming to be particuarily ignorant here, but have a serious think as to the point of underware.

That's aside from having someone else take them off for you.
Underware is used to keep your body odor from staining your clothing. Much cheaper to replace underware every week/month/whenever than your entire wardrobe. Also used in some places as added insulation.

Oh, you know that guy you work with who underneath his over-use of cologne has a slight aroma of bittery sweetness to him that makes him impossible to stand next to for too long.. he doesn't wear underwear. Now you know.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Why the fuck do people suddenly think it is socially acceptable to be seen in public wearing a onesie?

They are almost acceptable as pajamas, if you're like 6 years old, but they are certainly not acceptable attire if you are an 18 year old student at lunch in university halls. Especially not in a dinosaur onesie.

Also, why would you want trousers that if you broke into a jog they'd fall round your ankles? Even ball-crushing skinny jeans make more sense than that. You even have a belt on, just tighten it!

And WOMEN. Black leggings alone are not acceptable clothing. It just tells me that you are a slut but your actual legs look like shit.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
Daveman said:
And WOMEN. Black leggings alone are not acceptable clothing. It just tells me that you are a slut but your actual legs look like shit.
Wtf? Wearing black leggins has nothing to do with being "a slut".

Wyes

Aug 1, 2009
Uhura said:
Daveman said:
While I don't agree with slut shaming, the point is that leggings in general (not necessarily black ones) are really, really revealing in terms of shape and junk.

I don't understand this recent trend of denim shorts and underwear becoming one and the same thing - seriously, I can see more of your arse now than I'd be able to if you were wearing a bikini. Ordinarily I'd be okay with this, but I've seen many an arse that I haven't wanted to see.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
YingDerpington said:
So I was watching a series when a character came on screen wearing what may have been the oddest apparel ever, in another mans words it looked like a cross between a french maid and a vietnamese hooker. So the big question is, what bits and pieces of clothing do you just not understand the point of?

personally I don't see the point in fingerless gloves unless you're using a firearm. Nor do I understand having frills on clothing, or those weird ribbons some dresses have.
Oh, God. Is that a Code MENT reference? :)

OT: following this theme, pretty much anything worn in fantasy/ some sci-fi. Women especially get turned into fashion plates with their chainmail bikini's and non-nonsensical dresses, and blarg...

SundayRoast

Jan 24, 2011
One of the worst offences in clothing that I've witnessed has been sagging tight jeans.
Seriously! Tight jeans, hanging almost to the knees.
Dude couldn't walk properly and when he had to run to the tram it was like a new form of entertainment.

As for the aforementioned fake pockets, yes they are quite dumb. But I can understand them for a girl who wears tight jeans and jeans without pockets do look kinda strange and you can't really squeeze much stuff into pockets in such pants anyways.

As a motorcyclist I appreciate vents that look like pockets.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
Wyes said:
Uhura said:
Daveman said:
While I don't agree with slut shaming, the point is that leggings in general (not necessarily black ones) are really, really revealing in terms of shape and junk.
Yeah, the slut shaming was the issue. I have no problem with people who think that 'leggins are not pants' and that they should be worn with skirts or shorts or whatever. In fact, most women I know think that wearing leggins as pants looks pretty ridiculous.

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
How people seem to think that the amount of your hat physically touching your head is inversely proportional to how cool you are. I just want to swat them off people's heads.

Psykoma

Nov 29, 2010
YingDerpington said:
Frieswiththat said:
I'm going to need evidence or pictures of this before I can believe such an outrageous claim. Please do so at the next opportunity. Such a truly terrible abomination surely doesn't exist.
Erm, I actually have a pair of jeans with a false fly :/
They look completely like jeans, they even have the bit of fabric which normally covers the zipper, except there's no zipper underneath.
I think it's dumb, but when I bought those I had just lost my last pair of jeans, and they were the only jeans in the only store I trust for jeans, so I got them. And at the first opportunity, I went and got some normal ones.
So yeah, those things do exist.

I also have work pants with false pockets on them.
Actually having a pocket does affect the way the pants look, but these are all black pants and they have two silver zippers where pockets would be.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Nathan Crumpler said:
I don't understand thongs. I get it when someone is wearing a bikini or a short skirt, but what about when some one is wearing jeans? If you want to look like you aren't wearing underwear, don't wear underwear.
If a girls wearing leggings in the gym or something and doesn't want a panty line they come in handy too.

OT: I seen a guy come into my work the other day, he had a belt on where a belt would normally be, and another belt on that was only through 1 hoop and just hung diagonally down around his knees...I didn't get it.