Clothing Items you just don't understand

HoneyVision

Jan 4, 2013
Aris Khandr said:
It's been like, what, 20 years since they started becoming a thing, and I still don't get why people have their jeans around their thighs.

I also don't get ties. I get uncomfortable in a tightly knit turtleneck. I can't imagine why you would want to basically have a silk noose around your neck.

Not so much a clothing I don't understand, but guys, why do you call your undershirts 'wifebeaters'? Don't you realise how awful that sounds?
You mean lowriding? Yeah, it's pretty atrocious, but it has its associations I guess.

Ties are there to look formal/professional. They have a very composed and refined finish to them. Same thing for turtlenecks. They have a kind of demure vibe to them. In both cases, it's about a more subtle allure. I'd prefer ties over shirts unbuttoned down to the navel and turtle necks rather than gaudy tasteless necklines any day of the year.

wintercoat said:
Do high heels count? Because I can't for the life of me understand why people still wear them.

Now, I don't mean all heels, mind, just the large ones, those that are several inches high. Short heels are fine, as they allow for more even weight distribution than the others, and can even be quite comfortable for short periods of time.

No, I'm talking about the type that put all of your weight on overstressed toes. The ones that are 3+ inches in height and bend the ankle sharply. They're literally torture devices that are willingly worn for the sake of fashion. It's absurd. They're never comfortable, a pain to walk in, and can lead to compression fractures in your foot bones. There is literally no good reason to wear them.
Most people don't know this but high heels were actually worn by men before they were worn by women, because high heels give a feeling of elevation and power. Sounds narcissistic I know, but that's why high heels are so sexy on a woman. They elongate the legs, making them longer and slimmer. Speak to any woman who likes heels and she will tell you that they are empowering and help her to feel confident. For some women that confidence is innate and for some it's fake and goes away the second she takes those heels off.

Also, note that there are many women who are comfortable in higher heels across longer time periods.

Candidus said:
Suits. Specifically business clothes. I don't own any, and I'll never wear them to an interview or anything. Just no chance.

You might be the best person in the world at your job. Or the worst. Sharp clothes do nothing to convince me either way. They don't inspire my confidence, that's for sure. Are you hiding something? Did your mother dress you? Who knows. I'm not crediting you a damned thing.

No amount of expert ironing of unpleasant clothes will erase the possibility from my mind that you're an inept sod who doesn't know shit about shit. So why not wear whatever makes you comfortable instead?

Doesn't matter I suppose. As long as I don't have to tag along. But with the above in mind, what's the point of them...
This is a typical "I don't get fashion so it must be stupid" complaint. Even the most pretentious fashion follower will tell you (although s/he would probably fail to practice it) that fashion should be a mere reflection of how you see yourself. There's a huge misconception that fashion is just about shopping and looking 'fierce' (thanks to mainstream media and dickheads like Tyra Banks and Lady Gaga), when actually there are so many people who actually use fashion for a purpose, rather than just to show off and tweet your outfit....oy.

Let me give you a few pointers on suits: Like the high heel on a woman, a suit on a man is like a power statement. The very structure of a suit is geometric, tailored, calculated and 'absolute' in its nature. And to wear a suit is to give off those qualities, and hopefully you actually have those things. Suits accentuate and broaden the shoulders, which are inherently a symbol of power and professionalism in our society. Obviously, your skills at a job are of utmost importance, but in today's world skill alone is so not enough. Skill is your foundation and everything else after that becomes just as important i.e. how you speak, how you walk, how you represent the company, how you sell etc. How you dress is just another factor.

So suits can either be a true reflection of someone's professionalism and skill, or they can be a coat of sugar hoping to trick you into thinking that. Your job is to tell the difference. Don't blame the suit, blame the person wearing it.

Me55enger said:
Underware.

I'm not claiming to be particuarily ignorant here, but have a serious think as to the point of underware.

That's aside from having someone else take them off for you.
Not sure about you but I hate having my cock flap around in my jeans. It gets cold and sometimes it brushes against the zipper of a pant and that's painful.

New Troll said:
Anything that isn't loosely comfortable completely boggles my mind. Sure, dress attire for special events is one thing, but wearing uncomfortable clothing just for the fun of it?!? Take slim pants for instance... especially on guys... WTH? They not only wish to look silly, but also don't want to be able to move normally. Mind-boggled.
Slim pants are generally more comfortable for slimmer men and looser pants are more comfortable for fatter men. I'm very slim so I find that baggy pants are very balloony, like I'm carrying extra weight for no reason.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Another thing I don't get is when people take man cleavage tees to the extreme.

Now its no secret that I am in fact a hottie and I have a few tees that are lower cut than an average t-shirt but when you see guys in clubs with there raspberry ripples nearly hanging out its just creepy.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:

Pant chains, just...why? It really doesn't look that cool.
When I was in school, people would wear them to be used as weapons when fights broke out. I was dogpiled on, pinned down and chain whipped on several occasions.

OT: Not going to get into how much I despise snapback baseball caps, but why the fuck do people leave the stickers on? So it looks shoplifted? Are these people trying to imply a criminal record that doesn't exist?

Fuck...

Vazruden

Aug 19, 2012
Theres a big trend here among the youths atm for outdoor onesies. I work as a door supervisor in town and have great pleasure rejecting anyone trying to get in my venues wearing such monstrosities.

DrRockor

Jun 24, 2008
This is probably just me but I've been wearing combat trousers as everyday clothing for the last 2-3 years now and I just don't see why all trousers don't have pockets on the thighs. Its so convenient.

Daveman said:
Why the fuck do people suddenly think it is socially acceptable to be seen in public wearing a onesie?
I don't get it either! What the hell is it?! Why is this a thing?! You aren't 4, why are you wearing a onesie? It drives me insane

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
Neckties. They're a giant pain with absolutely no benefits to the wearer, except that it culturally signals "This person is a serious buisnessman".

And high heels. They seem mighty uncomfortable, and I don't find a woman in high heels any more sexy or attractive than one in regular shoes.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Me55enger said:
Underware.

I'm not claiming to be particuarily ignorant here, but have a serious think as to the point of underware.

That's aside from having someone else take them off for you.
Ever go out in cold weather without underwear on? It keeps you warm down there, and it stops the obvious chafing that would be caused by the inside of your outer pants.

Basically, underwear is extra padding.

7moreDead_v1legacy

Feb 17, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:

Pant chains, just...why? It really doesn't look that cool.

Fingerless gloves on the other hand (see what I did there?) are good for doing tasks that require careful fingerwork such as typing and they keep your hands nice and toasty.
I wear trousers with very deep pockets so I used mine to draw my wallet from the depths of them.

Also it stopped some guy stabbing me once, so it's earned its keep :)

Though my current wallet has no where where I can attach the padlock to it so I am without chain these days.

Things I don't get are the super skinny jeans on guys, stickers on hats, super long finger nails (Ok not clothing but an accessory I guess), thick rimmed frames, wearing hats indoors, scarfs with t-shirts...And many many more things.

Oh also my chain/padlock wallet doubled up nicely as a bike lock xD

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
I feel like walls are closing in on me here >.> I wear tight jeans and enjoy having the useless, jingly, shiny chains on my jeans. It just fits my style, all black, metalhead hair, band tees. I also wear two belts. Yes, TWO belts. And I don't even wear them right. I wear them TO THE SIDE. So to hell with all you =.= seriously though, skinny jeans or not, at least I wear my jeans, unlike those people using the fact that they are a little tight to keep them from completely falling off their bum as they have them hanging off their waist.

As for my concern, Gym bags. Those little sacks that some guys wear on their backs with those tiny ropes as straps. I'd say it was to carry stuff like some kinda doucebaggy purse, but anyone who I've known that wear these bags around have literally nothing in them. OR they have EVERYTHING in them. One guy I knew had a shirt, deodorant, a hat, a box of unsharpened pencils, an empty CD case, a necklace, shoestrings, some gel armbands, and an i-pod charger. May I bring up, He was going to the Mall!

YingDerpington

Apr 23, 2012
sextus the crazy said:
YingDerpington said:
So I was watching a series when a character came on screen wearing what may have been the oddest apparel ever, in another mans words it looked like a cross between a french maid and a vietnamese hooker. So the big question is, what bits and pieces of clothing do you just not understand the point of?

personally I don't see the point in fingerless gloves unless you're using a firearm. Nor do I understand having frills on clothing, or those weird ribbons some dresses have.
Oh, God. Is that a Code MENT reference? :)

OT: following this theme, pretty much anything worn in fantasy/ some sci-fi. Women especially get turned into fashion plates with their chainmail bikini's and non-nonsensical dresses, and blarg...
You have guessed correctly my friend! It most certainly is a reference to the great Code MENT! That woman wore the most odd clothes (asylum white garb thingy withstanding).

Vazruden said:
Theres a big trend here among the youths atm for outdoor onesies. I work as a door supervisor in town and have great pleasure rejecting anyone trying to get in my venues wearing such monstrosities.
I'm not sure where you're from but if you're not from Australia you would absolutely FUCKING HATE IT. The onesie situation here is bloody ridiculous! I can't go to a public place without seeing one of the bloody things!

Vazruden

Aug 19, 2012
I'm not sure where you're from but if you're not from Australia you would absolutely FUCKING HATE IT. The onesie situation here is bloody ridiculous! I can't go to a public place without seeing one of the bloody things!
Naw, Im from the North of England, which makes it even worse really as its cold as balls atm and theyre already everywhere. Its going to be terrible in a few weeks when it starts getting warm :(

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Daveman said:
Why the fuck do people suddenly think it is socially acceptable to be seen in public wearing a onesie?

They are almost acceptable as pajamas, if you're like 6 years old, but they are certainly not acceptable attire if you are an 18 year old student at lunch in university halls. Especially not in a dinosaur onesie.
I can't say I've ever seen that over here in the US. The closest thing we have to that is people, mostly women, where regular clothes on their upper body, but wear pajama bottoms.

Last year I was at an employment agency office, and all the women working there were wearing some sort of pajama bottoms. The one signing me in to the system was wearing an obnoxious plaid pair, like a dark pink, green, and yellow.

It was a Friday, so it must have been some kind of casual clothes day, but really, going to work at an employment office in pajama bottoms, really professional. I don't think bed clothes should be considered casual clothes day clothing.

YingDerpington

Apr 23, 2012
Vazruden said:
Naw, Im from the Nort of England, which makes it even worse really as its cold as balls atm and theyre already everywhere. Its going to be terrible in a few weeks when it starts getting warm :(
You have my condolences friend, just be glad you aren't a victim of the galaxy leggings, short shorts with ugg boots and leggings with ugg boots fad thats popped up here.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
YingDerpington said:
sextus the crazy said:
YingDerpington said:
So I was watching a series when a character came on screen wearing what may have been the oddest apparel ever, in another mans words it looked like a cross between a french maid and a vietnamese hooker. So the big question is, what bits and pieces of clothing do you just not understand the point of?

personally I don't see the point in fingerless gloves unless you're using a firearm. Nor do I understand having frills on clothing, or those weird ribbons some dresses have.
Oh, God. Is that a Code MENT reference? :)

OT: following this theme, pretty much anything worn in fantasy/ some sci-fi. Women especially get turned into fashion plates with their chainmail bikini's and non-nonsensical dresses, and blarg...
You have guessed correctly my friend! It most certainly is a reference to the great Code MENT! That woman wore the most odd clothes (asylum white garb thingy withstanding).
It certainly explains your name, now that I think about it.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
Top hats. Now, top hats are cool, but the people wearing them today is goths, and a top hat combined with black clothes, boots and a leather trenchcoat just look ridiculous.

Same for Fedoras really, they're cool but people forget about the complete package. You don't wear a Fedora with a hoodie, it looks crap. You need to work on it more, like this:

Now THAT's lookin' sharp.