Clothing Items you just don't understand

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
soren7550 said:
Angie7F said:
soren7550 said:
- Thongs. It's butt floss! How could that be comfortable to wear?
Thongs are comfortable once you get used to them.
Also they are great because you dont see the outlines of your underwear through your pants.
I think those underwear outlines are the worst.
I almost always wear jeans, so this has never been a problem for me.

So screw you butt floss! Go panties!
I'm just posting in defence of thongs.
Viva los butt floss!

OP: I don't know, I'm pretty in to fashion and clothes or whatnot so I can understand why most people wear what they do.

Except for socks and sandals.

Never socks and sandals.

Ever.

Sep 24, 2008
I'll actually do one that a friend asked of me. She wanted to know why guys wore Boxer Briefs.

I can only answer for me, but the answer is... Martial Arts. Briefs are just not damn warm enough. And have you ever tried to do a high kick in Boxers? You'll likely take out your supporting leg in efforts to get high enough. However, boxer briefs? you're warm and they move with you.

Also, women... if I may... what the HELL is up with you people in boots?! They aren't as pretty as you think they are. Not hardly.

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
I know this is going to make me sound like an alien but I don't see the appeal of jeans if your not IN construction.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
Shirts which lack pockets.

Why? Pockets are important. Especially that top one, which is just perfect for a pen or your phone.

It doesn't help that 13 years of school uniforms conditioned me to expect a pocket on every shirt, either.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
Hand bags, for men and women, are rubbish. If you can't fit everything you need into your pockets then either buy a Goddamned bandolier or, better yet, stop hauling around so much useless junk.

vid87

May 17, 2010
It's probably been said but for my money not loud enough: how in the name of all that's holy did CORSETS come back into fashion? It's not just ridiculous, it can be downright dangerous.

BaronUberstein

Jul 14, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:

Pant chains, just...why? It really doesn't look that cool.

Fingerless gloves on the other hand (see what I did there?) are good for doing tasks that require careful fingerwork such as typing and they keep your hands nice and toasty.
I believe originally it was so that if somebody tried to snatch your wallet, it would be attached to you via a chain and thus they couldn't run away with it.

Coppernerves

Oct 17, 2011
vid87 said:
It's probably been said but for my money not loud enough: how in the name of all that's holy did CORSETS come back into fashion? It's not just ridiculous, it can be downright dangerous.
They show off the feminine figure, and look gothic/steampunk.

Steampunk was a callback to earlier science fiction, as a fanciful and bright reaction to the gritty and dark cyberpunk.
(Cyberpunk having been brought on as escapism from when our economy was good in the 90s)

Goth I'm not so sure about.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Soxafloppin said:
Now its no secret that I am in fact a hottie and I have a few tees that are lower cut than an average t-shirt
Reading this while looking at your avatar made me laugh so hard.

Arctodus_Simus

When I say "oo", you say "long"
Aug 23, 2010
Aris Khandr said:
Not so much a clothing I don't understand, but guys, why do you call your undershirts 'wifebeaters'? Don't you realise how awful that sounds?
Undershirts in general, I don't get. Is it a regional thing, cause I've only ever seen it on U.S. T.V.?

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Jumpers with fake t-shirts underneath can die in a fiery pit of fire. I don't need a fake t-shirt, I'm already wearing a polo shirt! Dagnammit.

Jenvas1306

May 1, 2012
Bertylicious said:
Hand bags, for men and women, are rubbish. If you can't fit everything you need into your pockets then either buy a Goddamned bandolier or, better yet, stop hauling around so much useless junk.
quite often women dont really want to builk out their pants by stuffing the pockets full of things. so a handbag comes in handy. it might hold your eyeliner or other cosmetics, a small book, lotion for your hands, maybe a pen and some paper, your mobilephone, some energybars or some other snack, maybe your pepperspray etc...

its about being prepared, atleast for me. also if you cant find some candy on at the bottom of a handbag, its not used right.

Dr. Doomsduck

Nov 24, 2011
AstylahAthrys said:
wintercoat said:
Do high heels count? Because I can't for the life of me understand why people still wear them.

Now, I don't mean all heels, mind, just the large ones, those that are several inches high. Short heels are fine, as they allow for more even weight distribution than the others, and can even be quite comfortable for short periods of time.

No, I'm talking about the type that put all of your weight on overstressed toes. The ones that are 3+ inches in height and bend the ankle sharply. They're literally torture devices that are willingly worn for the sake of fashion. It's absurd. They're never comfortable, a pain to walk in, and can lead to compression fractures in your foot bones. There is literally no good reason to wear them.
They make your legs look thinner, and you, my friend, are obviously not only 5 feet tall. Now, I don't wear my crazy 6 in heels on regular occasion, but I depend on at least one set of my stilettos if I'm ever in a skirt for the sake of looking better. Yes, it's completely cosmetic, but they're so darn cute. And walking in them is eventually non-issue, usually by the time a girl as a teen after her age. I guess it's a woman thing, though. We do a lot of crap just to appear "pretty." (Please don't let this explanation incite a thread about gender issues, or feminism, or any sort of gender bashing. I'm just explaining my opinion, one that I share with many women.)

As for what I don't understand? Wearing fur boots with short shorts. Just... why?
Bad circulation?

Regarding heels, they put heaps of work and a lot of diversity into them. Obviously, shitty shoes exist, but there is a lot of fine craftsmanship and choice to be had when it comes to heels.

For me, they do good things to my posture as well, because I automatically put my shoulders and back upright when I wear them. In sneakers, I have to make an effort to do that.

MustardTiger

Mar 31, 2010
Oh boy, 7 pages in and this hasn't been mentioned?

NSFW, btw

And anyway, i'm with the people who are against fedoras. I've only ever seen and incredibly small amount of people who could pull those things off. These people also aren't members of the general populace

Coppernerves

Oct 17, 2011
Anti Nudist Cupcake said:
The tie.

What is it's purpose? It's just a piece of fabric that dangles around your neck. It's just silly.
I think the idea is that it helps to seal the air in under your shirt, for the purposes of warmth.

It gets a bit vulgar and silly if it reaches down to, and calls attention to your groin, but so long as it remains shorter than that, greater length makes it more impressive.

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
Me55enger said:
Underware.

I'm not claiming to be particuarily ignorant here, but have a serious think as to the point of underware.

That's aside from having someone else take them off for you.
Keeps guys from cutting there penis off from their zippers. That's my only guess.