Clothing Items you just don't understand

JDLY

Jun 21, 2008
I feel like I've got the short end of the stick here. I enjoy suits, vests, ties, fedoras, and trench coats. HOWEVER, only when used in conjunction with the rest of the outfit.

Here's a picture of me in my suit and fedora.

Before I continue I will say that I have had the pleasure of never having worn an uncomfortable suit.

Suits make the shoulders look broader, the legs look longer, and generally have a definitive shape that is appealing.
Vests make the waist and hips look smaller, and also make the shoulders look broader, which give the generic upside-down trapezoid, which is the "ideal" shape of a man's torso.
Ties generally are used to add color to an outfit, as an accent. You can't see it here, but my tie is red, it's an eye-catcher. Also, if a tie is choking you, you're doing it wrong, it is meant to be snug at it's tightest, much like a belt. Even then it can be looser, as it does not have to hold clothes up like a belt. It should not be constricting at all.
Fedoras are more tricky. I enjoy the look of them. They garnered a "cool" appeal with movies such as The Blue's Brothers, and more serious mafia/gangster movies. However I will agree that too many people seem to think that it is simply the fedora that gives that cool look, when it is truthfully the fedora along with the suit, i.e. the whole ensemble.
Trench coats are quite practical in many ways. Generally it is worn with a suit, to protect said suit from rain and other weather. They also are an extra layer in the case that it is cold out.

In my opinion, everything I listed only looks good with a conjunction of some style of suit. The suit is the base, the rest are peripherals that do not function without the base there.

As for what I usually wear on a day-to-day basis. I would gladly wear a suit if I had enough money to purchase a few, so as to not wear the same one every day. But I don't, so I generally wear jeans and a t-shirt, with a hoodie if it is cold out. My jeans have a few holes that were not there when I bought them, any my t-shirts generally have some design or picture on them.

OT: What I don't get is the tie and sweater look. Here's an example

To me that says "Why don't I make an effort to look nice with a button-up shirt and tie, and then cover up 98% of it so that all people can see is the collar?" If it's for warmth, a suit coat can do that just as well, and looks better.

It only gets worse when it's one of these sweaters.

Linakrbcs

Jul 29, 2010
Pretty much all the current female fashion trends. Most of it seems to be geared towards making the wearer look as ridiculous as possible. Skinny jeans with three or four half-see-through shirts, all haning offf one shoulder. coupled with exposed bra straps. And then a scarf that likely weighs as much as the person wearing it. It's just so silly and utterly impractical. How is that supposed to keep you even remotely warm in winter?

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Those tight, garish American Apparel v-neck t-shirts some guys like to wear. I'm not interested in seeing either your hairy or freakishly smooth chest.

superline51

Nov 18, 2009
Aris Khandr said:
Not so much a clothing I don't understand, but guys, why do you call your undershirts 'wifebeaters'? Don't you realise how awful that sounds?
They're called "wife beaters" because on reality cop shows, such as Cops, whenever there is a domestic abuse call, the dude is the majority of the time wearing said undershirts with massive amounts of stains. I and everybody I know typically just call them beaters.

FabiotheTurtle

Dec 17, 2010
Not that I don't understand underwear, but what is the point of them being in all garish colours?

Are they like that because you don't see them, or nobody sees them because they are like that?

D-Ray

Oct 4, 2011
Scarfs......?

"It keeps you warm."

Really? Wearing a coat isn't enough? Do i need an over-sized, decorated, dangly piece of cloth hanging from my neck?

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
DementedSheep said:
I don't understand fake pockets. I get that pockets are used for look aswell I guess but why not just give me a real pocket? its annoying
All my girl friends hate them so much and then I show off by shoving the entirety of my hand into my jeans pockets.

OT: Honestly, I don't understand wife beaters. What's the point? Just wear a light t-shirt instead, it's a lot more comfortable and you don't look like a massive douche in a t-shirt (usually, anyways).

funkyjiveturkey

Jan 18, 2013
Snapback hats. why are these considered cool? how can people wear these and not think they look absolutely retarded? especially cuz they paid 70 dollars for a hat with a fucking sticker on it. i think it's some kind of cultural throwback to the 90's in kind of a parallel universe sort of way

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:

Pant chains, just...why? It really doesn't look that cool.

Fingerless gloves on the other hand (see what I did there?) are good for doing tasks that require careful fingerwork such as typing and they keep your hands nice and toasty.
I have a short one so that I can feel when my wallet falls out. Which has happened many, many times.
OT: Fake pockets, short shorts with pockets sticking out (Only when the pockets are sticking out, as I actually do like short shorts), wearings boots and shorts, popped collars, those hand sock things that only get to about wrist level, sleeveless hoodies, pre-ripped jeans, and above all: walking about outside in pajamas. Really tiny skirts! They seem hard to move in. Could just be that I'm biased towards knee length pleated skirts due to them being the uniform to the school I went to when I was a young kid to when I hit puberty. Anything to do with the $wag style. Stuff with tons and tons and tons of zippers that have no purpose! That died off ages ago but still!
There are probably more, but I can't think of em right now.

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
Fedoras as casual hats. I understand why you'd wear one semi-formally, and they look good that way, but wearing them with jeans and a hoodie just looks dumb.

Also skinny jeans for men. I've tried wearing them (and I'm a very slim guy, the type that's kind of supposed to wear them) but they just squash my balls, honestly. No freedom of movement at all.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I don't really understand capri pants. So they're basically like pants that stop around the shin? If you want to wear something shorter than regular length pants, is it so hard to wear shorts? Is it for people that are just really pleased with how their ankles look, but are really self conscious about the rest of their leg? I just don't get it.

Another thing that caught on but I never really understood why is crocks. One year I noticed them as basically shoe protectors/shoes to wear while gardening and then the next year they were suddenly marketed as a normal thing to wear in everyday situations. I'm pleased they've more or less disappeared.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
I'm going to be honest, high heeled shoes. Mot only are they extremely uncomfortable, but I almost but I very rarely think they look good on anyone. Maybe it's just a guy thing, but I seriously just don't get it.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
D-Ray said:
Scarfs......?

"It keeps you warm."

Really? Wearing a coat isn't enough? Do i need an over-sized, decorated, dangly piece of cloth hanging from my neck?
Most coats (that I know of) don't have massive popped, insulated collars. Scarves are functional and fashionable, when worn right.

I also take exception to all Yeee'AWL hatAHZ! Knockin' my fingerless gloves

[sub]I think they look cool [/sub]

Ties, on the other hand. Wtf's with those? Certain people with certain outfits can make them look good. But god DAMN! Why the hell is it expected in business circles that people wrap random pieces of cloth around their neck?

kickyourass said:
I'm going to be honest, high heeled shoes. Mot only are they extremely uncomfortable, but I almost but I very rarely think they look good on anyone. Maybe it's just a guy thing, but I seriously just don't get it.
As a guy I actually find the really high heeled shoes quite unattractive, which kind of defeats their only purpose. Shoes with a slight heel lift are fine, but anything more than that and it just... doesn't look good to me.

Unia

Jan 15, 2010
Wearing a massive mess of a scarf without the weather really calling for it, especially if the rest of your outfit consists of T-shirt and shorts. As I understand that started out as some kind of a political statement (hell I heard someone call 'em Palestinian scarves), but I doubt all these teen hipsters see it that way.

My personal pet-peeve is seeing someone wear a hoodie or a sweater with minishorts/skirt. Just from personal experience, if I need long sleeves I sure don't leave my legs bare. The girl in DmC buggs me because of that. I keep waiting for her to either take off the hoodie or pull on proper pants.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Uggs.

What I don't understand about them is why I think they look good on women. Theres probably some artsy design reason, but it annoys the piss out of me.

AccursedTheory said:
Nathan Crumpler said:
I don't understand thongs. I get it when someone is wearing a bikini or a short skirt, but what about when some one is wearing jeans? If you want to look like you aren't wearing underwear, don't wear underwear.
For one, denim is not the most forgiving of fabrics when it comes to your junk. Thongs help. For two, things help reduce camel toe.
So does the concept of wearing LOOSE pants not exist?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
These rags people put on heads and moth, you know the wanabe gangster ones. i cant comprehend why would anyone think that looks cool.

Dirty Hipsters said:
Clothing items I don't understand - Uggs and sleeveless hoodies.
wait, sleevless hoodies exist? why would you even....

Pant chains are fun... to yank on.

Leggings should be banned as public service against making a person look 80% more ugly regardless of situation or person.

Scarfs......?

"It keeps you warm."

you been using scarf wrong. scarf is wrapped around your neck INSIDE the coat and other than your neck is invisible to outside observer. it does not dangle, is not decorated (the one i use is pure black) and keeps my neck worm when it is -25C outside so my crappy voice does not get any crappier.

zama174

Oct 25, 2010
Woodsey said:
OT: It's time to talk about fedoras. You all look terrible in them. No exceptions. People seem to think they're some kind of magic coolness device. They're not, they're just something that, for some reason, has been picked up by people on gaming forums - undoubtedly a great place for fashion advice - and labelled as 'cool'.
Okay I know using a celebrity to defend Fedora's is kind of stupid. I get that okay. However.

[/img]

FEDORAS ARE SEXY! Not on all men, in fact, only on select few men. They are like sunglasses, cowboy hats, baseball hats, ect, some people can pull them off really well. Others can't. It is really about knowing A: what you look good in, and honestly more importantly B: what you feel good wearing. Confidence is 9/10ths of sexy, and if you can pull off a look, and be confident and comfortable in it, even if your "meh" on the physical level, that confidence and comfort-ability makes your desirability SKY ROCKET. /rant

P.S. Women can be just, drop dead sexy in a Fedora. Urhmahgurd. /melts

zama174

Oct 25, 2010
Daveman said:
Why the fuck do people suddenly think it is socially acceptable to be seen in public wearing a onesie?
Macklemore. You can blame him. Because they built the onesies with the socks and he rocks that mother fucker.

OT: Pre ripped jeans. Now I SHRED my fucking jeans, dirt biking, climbing, ect ect. But I would never want a pair of jeans preripped, that is my job, its part of making those jeans special, and its where your lucky pairs come from. Had the entire thigh of your jeans ripped open but didn't get cut by that branch while going 40 MPH, them some lucky jeans. D:

JayElleBee

Jul 9, 2010
YingDerpington said:
Okay so the fingerless glove thing has been pointed out to me, but now I feel I must justify my logic. I figured that despite doing typing, writing etc. your fingers would still feel like freezing over (they did the one time I used fingerless gloves so I figured why the hell keep my palm warm but not the fingers?). 'Twould seem I was mistaken.
I wear fingerless gloves while gaming or using a tablet computer. My hands get clammy when I hold a control for too long, and the gloves stop my palms from sticking to it. And when I use a tablet, the side of my hand gets sore from rubbing against it. The glove prevents this. I never wear them for keeping the cold away. c:

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Meanwhile in Carlisle

http://www.in-cumbria.com/police-seek-man-in-teddy-bear-onesie-after-disruption-on-train-to-carlisle-1.1046994?referrerPath=news-archive

What? Why? what?

Plus do they think he will STILL be wearing said onesie.

Before today I didn't even know onesies were a thing I was safe I tells you.