Clothing Items you just don't understand

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
Clothing items I don't understand hmmm?

Well, I don't understand the below item in the slightest so if someone could help me I'd love to know if it has any practical use...especially for the cost...

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
I never really understood the appeal behind skinny jeans for me, it looks awfully uncomfortable and some look so tight I can't help but imagine the guy must spend his mornings jumping into it from the top of his bedroom drawer just to get in.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Aaron Sylvester said:

Well, I don't understand the below item in the slightest so if someone could help me I'd love to know if it has any practical use...especially for the cost...

I believe that's called a Walkmen. They stopped making them a couple years ago so you don't even see them that often anymore.
They play music at really really poor quality levels. It was really just noise but we were all excited to be listening to our hip hop and noisecore in public so we didn't care.

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
Aaron Sylvester said:

ha ha! Terrible pun :p I agree though, Beats Audio is nothing but mid ranged gear with high end prices. Unfortunately that statement can apply to most things that are deemed fashionable.

I'm all for individuality and people can wear/look however they want but I never understood the obsession with Nike Shox and TN hats over here in the UK. I'm quite glad they're not very popular anymore.

Psykoma

Nov 29, 2010
zama174 said:
Okay I know using a celebrity to defend Fedora's is kind of stupid. I get that okay. However.

[/img]

FEDORAS ARE SEXY! Not on all men, in fact, only on select few men. They are like sunglasses, cowboy hats, baseball hats, ect, some people can pull them off really well. Others can't. It is really about knowing A: what you look good in, and honestly more importantly B: what you feel good wearing. Confidence is 9/10ths of sexy, and if you can pull off a look, and be confident and comfortable in it, even if your "meh" on the physical level, that confidence and comfort-ability makes your desirability SKY ROCKET. /rant

P.S. Women can be just, drop dead sexy in a Fedora. Urhmahgurd. /melts

I do think in certain circumstances fedoras can be sexy, but that guy in that picture is not one of them.
The fedora looks so out of place there my first impression was that it was photoshopped in.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Woodsey said:
DementedSheep said:
I don't understand fake pockets. I get that pockets are used for look aswell I guess but why not just give me a real pocket? its annoying
Changes the shape of the clothing.

OT: It's time to talk about fedoras. You all look terrible in them. No exceptions. People seem to think they're some kind of magic coolness device. They're not, they're just something that, for some reason, has been picked up by people on gaming forums - undoubtedly a great place for fashion advice - and labelled as 'cool'.
I almost agree with you. Fedoras are terrible, but on the right person they look hella sweet.

Of course, when I say 'the right person', what I really mean is Humphrey Bogart.

However as no one here is Humphey Bogart, I'm inclined to side with you.

Also for people discussing underwear:

(I wear pants, I'm just saying)

New World Fool

Feb 15, 2013
Uggs. The name sounds daft and they look like overpriced slippers. They also look hideous and filthy. My mum was interested in them for a brief while, but thankfully decided against buying a pair. XD

Alexander Bradley

Dec 31, 2010
Skinny jeans, peruvian scarfs/hats, faded clothing, and those shirts that cut way too low on the chest and look like an 80's throwback. Burn them all in the flames of hell.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Ties/butterflies
i dunno if it's true or not, but i've been told they were made to hide shirt buttons, which seems stupid, just make un-ugly buttons.
Maybe it's just fabric bling, covering a bigger area than even the most street-de-la-street gangsta rappers gold-chains.
Maybe they're there to keep the collar tight around the neck... in case someone felt a need to feel strangled.
What i especially hate about it, is that it's considered "appropriate" to wear one on "fine" occations, or more precicsely, inappropriate not to.
Same goes with shirts vs t-shirts. Makes no sense why a clean t-shirt is a no-no compared to a shirt at fancyer occations.

Fake-tear /pre-torn jeans.
Why spend money on a fashin statement, when you could've just kept your old torn jeans, and saved the money?

High heels on girls too drunk to walk unhindered in them

Tight-ass pants hung with the belt under the ass-hole.
If you wan't room in your pockets and/or plenty of breething space for your junk, get some loose fitting jeans. I'm not gonna wait for you to get your pants off because they fell down yet again.

caps places loosely on the head, easily blown off by a babys fart

Anything that hinders mobility solely for the sake of fashion, swag or any other lame word for "i wanna look special so people look at me"

Anything that cost way more than same-looking equal quality clothing because it's a fancy brand. As if spending excessive ammounts of money would make you a better person or some shit like that.

Me55enger said:
Underware.

I'm not claiming to be particuarily ignorant here, but have a serious think as to the point of underware.

That's aside from having someone else take them off for you.
I get underwear.
It absords the sweat, and takes up way less room in the laundry.
imagine the ammount of laundry you'd have to do, if you had to wash your pants for ass-sweat every day.

Also, it's much easier to afford having many pairs of underwear, instead of an equally large ammount of pants.
Same for t-shirts contra larger shirts, like hoodies etc.

Parallel Streaks

Jan 16, 2008
YingDerpington said:
Okay so the fingerless glove thing has been pointed out to me, but now I feel I must justify my logic. I figured that despite doing typing, writing etc. your fingers would still feel like freezing over (they did the one time I used fingerless gloves so I figured why the hell keep my palm warm but not the fingers?). 'Twould seem I was mistaken.
Eh, everyone reacts to temperature differently, blood circulation and what-not. Personally I wear fingerless gloves due to the fact I roll my own cigarettes, which requires a lot of finesse. I also own a touch-screen phone and get very easily irritated by having to constantly take off my gloves, change a song/send a text, then put my gloves back on. Then again I've never really minded cold weather that much, so it may just be me, the warmth provided by fingerless gloves is plenty in my case.

But let me get to the point, unless you're part of the 2% of the male population who can pull off a fedora, do not wear a fucking fedora. Especially if you're wearing it with a t-shirt and jeans, it's like if I was wearing fine silk trousers with a ratty old denim jacket. KEEP YOUR LEVEL OF FORMALITY CONSISTENT. This mainly comes from the fact I'm a recovering fedora wearer, I came to the nasty conclusion that I was part of the 98% of the male population who looks like a twat in one about two years ago, and my life is all the better for it.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
I'm proud to say I survived the fad of the really tight pants a couple years back. It looked stupid as shit, especially with the emo scene (I had guys at my school literally wearing women's pants).

It's gotten reasonably better now that companies actually started designing them with guys in mind, but I still remember.

PissOffRoth

Jun 29, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
Clothing items I don't understand - Uggs and sleeveless hoodies.
Uggs are Australian, of course they're 100% function. Why American girls like them is beyond me.

I believe boxers were the first to popularize the sleeveless hoody. When it's cold, they need to keep their core warm without constricting their arms and hands.

PissOffRoth

Jun 29, 2010
JoesshittyOs said:
I'm proud to say I survived the fad of the really tight pants a couple years back. It looked stupid as shit, especially with the emo scene (I had guys at my school literally wearing women's pants).

It's gotten reasonably better now that companies actually started designing them with guys in mind, but I still remember.
I tried on a pair once because everyone was telling me I would look good in them.

My package was frightened. There was just nowhere to go... Nowhere at all...

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
PissOffRoth said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Clothing items I don't understand - Uggs and sleeveless hoodies.
Uggs are Australian, of course they're 100% function. Why American girls like them is beyond me.

I believe boxers were the first to popularize the sleeveless hoody. When it's cold, they need to keep their core warm without constricting their arms and hands.
And here I thought that boxing matches were held indoors, silly me. And why would a boxer want to wear a hoodie at all, considering the hood is just going to annoyingly bounce up and down on their neck every time they throw a punch, and actually putting the hood on restricts vision?

Aphantas

Apr 29, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:

Pant chains, just...why? It really doesn't look that cool.
It's meant to make it impossible for someone to leave their wallet behind by leasing it to your pants. That one is probably just ornamental since it's so massive; Which is something I don't understand. Why make a practical accessory like that purely ornamental? If you want to wear such a thing shouldn't you make the most of its purpose?

The fashion that really makes me scratch my head though is wearing pants way below the waist. It doesn't look good at all. It just makes it look like they are wearing adult diapers, and it's amusing watching them waddle like a penguin in the most extreme cases.

Edit: Looks like I was ninja'ed a bit there, serves me right for not reading past the first page of responses.

Aphantas

Apr 29, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
I know the purpose of a chain, protect wallets and such, which is why I posted an ornamental one, which are just silly and don't look cool.

As for your example, they just never learned how belts and pants worked.
I thought that you were talking about all pant chains, not just the ornaments. I agree that they look horrible, as well as being heavy and catchy.
Teenagers do remember how pants and belts work quite quickly when you draw attention to it though, which is pretty amusing.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
For me, it's those sunglasses women started wearing in the mid 2000s. The ones with the gigantic frames/lenses that cover most of your face.

I have a hypothesis that this style of women's sunglasses came into fashion because some celebrity decided to wear enormous sunglasses to make herself harder to recognize in public. Fair enough; what I don't understand is why OTHER women started wearing them. Only one opinion, but I just don't think they look good on anyone. They're quite practical, though. Excellent coverage from UV rays. Just watch out for those tan lines, unless you want to look like a barn owl.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Sonic Doctor said:
Daveman said:
Why the fuck do people suddenly think it is socially acceptable to be seen in public wearing a onesie?

They are almost acceptable as pajamas, if you're like 6 years old, but they are certainly not acceptable attire if you are an 18 year old student at lunch in university halls. Especially not in a dinosaur onesie.
I can't say I've ever seen that over here in the US. The closest thing we have to that is people, mostly women, where regular clothes on their upper body, but wear pajama bottoms.

Last year I was at an employment agency office, and all the women working there were wearing some sort of pajama bottoms. The one signing me in to the system was wearing an obnoxious plaid pair, like a dark pink, green, and yellow.

It was a Friday, so it must have been some kind of casual clothes day, but really, going to work at an employment office in pajama bottoms, really professional. I don't think bed clothes should be considered casual clothes day clothing.
Why does the guy in your avatar remind me of the boss from Dilbert?