Cloud Gaming Could "Lower the Barrier" for New Gamers

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Cloud Gaming Could "Lower the Barrier" for New Gamers

Gaikai [http://www.futuremark.com/] could go a long way toward lowering the expense of a good gaming habit, but only if they're done right - and even then, it's still a dicey proposition.

Videogaming can be a very expensive hobby. The up-front cost of your hardware of choice can be downright painful and as the years progress, you can count on spending more for various extras and upgrades; then at some point, assuming you don't want to spend the rest of your life as a grumpy retro-gamer, you'll have to do it all over again when the next generation of hardware rolls around. For years it was assumed that PCs were even harder on the wallet than their console cousins, but according to Futuremark Producer Jaakko Haapasalo, that's no longer necessarily the case.

"There's some irony here in that consoles are now being threatened with the same sort of hardware obsolescence and upgrade cost issues as the PC was previously," he told CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=237524?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS].

The solution, maybe, is cloud gaming, which offloads most of the heavy lifting to remote servers and streams games to players via basic PCs or consoles. But it's an approach that carries its own risks. "With streaming, there's an undeniable convenience advantage for the player if it's done right," Haapasalo added, "but the loss of control or ownership over parts of the platform and content may prove too much for some."

And as Futuremark CEO Jukka Makinen pointed out, cloud gaming could lower the barrier to "high-end gaming" but there's always going to be something to spend money on. "It will not lower the number of expensive entertainment gadgetry around our gaming sofas," he said. "There will always a better monitor, better audio system or a better cloud-gaming-resolution-booster-lag-reducer to buy."

Both OnLive and Gaikai are currently in beta testing. No launch date has been set for either service.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
I think cloud gaming looks excellent. As soon as I saw the demo for Onlive I began worshipping. The only problem is that it incited the same kind of childish hope I thought Spore had knocked out of me and I just bloody KNOW I am going to be painfully disappointed. Nevertheless I have high hopes for this tec.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
You end up owning your games even less, if at all. No internet? no play for you.

Can you mod a game in a "cloud"? not really, since its sever side.

You may not play the game when you want; its the server/weather/isp that makes the decision for you.

YOu need a dang good Internet conection speed and a good ISP to keep up with it, wich not everyone have access to.

Corporations would like that since it would be hard to pirate, i guess.

I rather have my own personal PC with my games installed on it tahn be at the mercy of some server.

Apr 28, 2008
While this sounds really cool, I just really, really hope that it doesn't become standard.

1 reason is because I love having a physical copy, knowing that whatever happens to the developer, publisher, or whatever, I still have the game and can still play it.

Plus my internet sucks ass and flakes on and off every damn day so a system like this would be hilariously awful for me.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Lot of what makes gaming a cool hobby is having a collection. A collection of old hardware and games with which you share good memories and to which you could always come back. No cloud gaming for me.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
..."but the loss of control or ownership over parts of the platform and content may prove too much for some."
Exactly. With physical copies, i have them all in "realspace" on my shelf. With what few games i've bought on Steam, i at least have files on my hard drive - so even if Steam goes down, i could work around it.

But with cloud gaming? It's all serverside, and i basically have no control over what i've spend my money on. It's not "purchase", it's a glorified rent. Sorry, but i don't need that to become "one and only standard" for gaming - corporations are annoying enough as they are now.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I stll dont think it will really draw so many people in...I mean, its still going to involve fiddling with stuff so might as well buy...

Just my opinion anyway

Moonmover

Feb 12, 2009
Woooaaaahhh, streaming video....games? It's like, the future man.

Where's my jetpack?

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
The only way I'll ever support cloud computing is if it's 100% free. No subscription fees, no rental costs, nothing. I go to a website and click on "play game" and there I am. If I don't get to pick the hardware configuration or what games are available to me, then I shouldn't have to pay anything.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009

hello there, cloud gaming.
I don't give a fuck.
and neither shall my sequels.
and my mods are showing contempt for you.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
Lower the barrier for who? As far as I can see all the people who would play over the "cloud" play already...so new kids coming up? Do you think mummy and daddy will see a last gen (PS2 or X-box) console as less handy than a subscription based service which must be paid on their credit cards to keep going? The install would have to cost basically nothing and the monthly fee be an "all-in" rather than per game to appeal to these people, which devs and publishers will not go for.

Or are these new gamers older folk who are just coming to the hobby...who mostly play single player games on the move and who usually only play multi-player consoles with party games...without getting started on the need for always on broadband with a high connection speed, not actually owning the games (a sub? Per game perhaps?)...and what about ISP's that limit band-hogs? Surely playing constantly on-line will choke bandwidth if people have to play on-line for even single player games....

I appreciate trying to lower the cost of gaming in general...but when I look at how crappy my gig-box with NTL was and how crap my Skybox is, the slow reaction, the mysterious "jumping" the freezes and the shut-downs that would ApoclyPS3 happen daily for someone somewhere...oh and if something goes wrong? Customer Service...twenty minute holds? "Your call is important to us" just to load up a fragging game? Thanks but no thanks, bub.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
I really, really, really hope this doesn't take off. How does this differ from what Ubisoft is trying to do?
Plus, my internet connection could never handle it.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
The way I see it, cloud gaming is a Bad Thing. There are very few advantages and in no way do they measure up against the disadvantages. The way things are right now I seriously don't see how this could be beneficial to gamers.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Twad said:
You end up owning your games even less, if at all. No internet? no play for you.

Can you mod a game in a "cloud"? not really, since its sever side.

You may not play the game when you want; its the server/weather/isp that makes the decision for you.

YOu need a dang good Internet conection speed and a good ISP to keep up with it, wich not everyone have access to.

Corporations would like that since it would be hard to pirate, i guess.

I rather have my own personal PC with my games installed on it tahn be at the mercy of some server.
Amen. If people fall to this new fad of gaming, you can say goodbye to what little freedoms we have left.

NamesAreHardToPick

Jan 7, 2010
lololololol cloud gaming. I can't even get low-res music video to play on YouTube without choking sometimes, and we can buffer that shit to make up for ups and downs in bandwidth. Even with local servers, like playing PS1 discs on my PSP thanks to Remote Play, there's lag that can severely screw over the gameplay.

So yeah, this all sounds like a bunch of balls. Streaming game code on to a console (like replacing disc reads with internet downloads) and running it locally, yeah I can believe that, but the hardware requirements would be exactly the same... running something with nice graphics will take serious hardware.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
I will NEVER support this. If the future of gaming is this then I will never play another game again. If physical copies die out so to will my gaming habits.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Well, as long as it doesn't negatively affect 'traditional' gaming and grows to be an addition, not a competing platform... I doubt there will be servers near me to stream with low latency so i doubt i will ever use the service even if it becomes reality. Maybe a few times just to try it out because i'm very curious.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
This sounds a lot like what GameTap does. How exactly is it different?

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
There haven't been any new games that I really want that have forced me to upgrade in the last four years or so. I play old games all the time and care about things like response time and framerate. Cloud gaming is the opposite of ideal for me. It doesn't solve any problem I care about and creates lots of problems that would ruin gaming for me.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Cloud gaming is a great idea, but unless its connected directly to your PC via fibre optics cabling, theres one huge problem. L-A-G. Perhaps it will be viable once governments all over the world start investing in such information infrastructures sometime in the 20s.