Cloud is Available For Super Smash Bros. Right Now!

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Cloud is Available For Super Smash Bros. Right Now!

Additionally, Nintendo confirmed Cloud, Bayonetta and Corrin would be getting amiibos, and revealed some upcoming ones.

Lots of Super Smash Bros. news from the game's final Nintendo Direct tonight. Alongside the reveal of new fighers earlier this month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165500-Bayonetta-Coming-to-Super-Smash-Bros], is now available to purchase and play.

Cloud costs $5.99 if you just want to buy him for one platform,or $6.99 if you want him on both the 3DS and Wii U versions. He comes with his own stage: Migdar, which also contains a suite of sound effects. For all you Advent Children fans out there, one of Cloud's alternate outfits is based on his Advent Children appearance.

Nintendo confirmed that Cloud, Bayonetta and Corrin would all be getting their own amiibo figures at some point in the future, and revealed that the next wave of figures going on sale next March includes Ryu, Roy, and the Famicom ROB color variation:

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1019/1019779.jpg

With this, it looks like Super Smash Bros. downloadable content is coming to a close. Let's raise a glass for Snake, Wolf, the Ice Climbers, Pichu, Ivysaur and Squirtle, who will have to wait for Smash 5 for a shot at possible redemption...

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Loving the 3rd Party representation that Smash has been allowing for ever since Snake and Sonic in Brawl. If you told me back when I was playing Smash 64... or heck even a year ago that I'd be able to play as Cloud and Ryu in Smash Bros, I'd have told you that you were dreaming. Yet here we are today.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Welp, guess I'll have to wait for the next game for Shantae to have another shot. It's still a pretty impressive roster though, all things considered.

Silentpony said:
But is the Angel Sanguinius or Goku in there?! Because that's a fight worth seeing!
Well, there's always M.U.G.E.N and Salty Bet (though the latter has way too many obscure anime characters now for my taste)...

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
Nice to see they are still adding characters up to this point, even if they are stopping with this batch. Now maybe the designers have time to go back and make some balance adjustments. Hell, who am I kidding? We all know that won't happen.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
One bit mildly incorrect; 2 of his outfits are based on Advent Children. One with the arm covered by the sleeve to avoid revealing his Geostigma, and another without it and with Aeris' ribbon. In game, it actually turns out he's got 4 of each, with 3 recolors of his classic outfit, and 2 of each type of AC outfit.

I'm a rabid fanboy, and I'm practically juicing myself with excitement over this update.

EndlessSporadic said:
Now maybe the designers have time to go back and make some balance adjustments. Hell, who am I kidding? We all know that won't happen.
Um... weren't there quite a few balance changes made during some of the updates? A few people had their infinites removed, some people had some tech strengthened, and some had their tech weakened. Though at this rate, Smash 4 will be known as Super Bash Sisters unless they decide to do any more work.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I'm not sure how great he is in the tier list, but Cloud is fun as hell to play. And honestly, I'm not surprised they picked him, despite him not being in a Nintendo game (oh, wait, Theatrhythm.) For better or for worse, Cloud Strife is the face of Final Fantasy, and since Final Fantasy began on Nintendo's consoles, he's got as much of a right as anyone to show up in Smash Bros.

What I'm more surprised at is that Nintendo didn't veto Bayonetta's inclusion.

Edit: Also, I already have eight Amiibos (well Lucina and Palutena are for a friend who doesn't have a Wii U of his own), but I really want a Roy and a Cloud too.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Been seeing a lot of angry Smash fans on my FB, being grumpy that FFVII wasn't on a Nintendo console "it should have been someone from FFVI!" Then the Sony fanboys are upset that Cloud is on a 'competing platform' claiming exclusivity.

Weird since FFVII was on PC shortly after PS, and now on steam, iOS, I think a 3DS game as well?

So weird seeing clashing anger against it from two different sides. There's good reasons he was picked and I think they did a solid job on the models and even seeing some new art from the FFVII artist to celebrate.

Arcadian Legend

Blame your fate!
Jan 9, 2012
EndlessSporadic said:
Nice to see they are still adding characters up to this point, even if they are stopping with this batch. Now maybe the designers have time to go back and make some balance adjustments. Hell, who am I kidding? We all know that won't happen.
They've been making balance adjustments in almost every update since release though. Some characters have changed a fair bit since.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
Snotnarok said:
Been seeing a lot of angry Smash fans on my FB, being grumpy that FFVII wasn't on a Nintendo console "it should have been someone from FFVI!" Then the Sony fanboys are upset that Cloud is on a 'competing platform' claiming exclusivity.

Weird since FFVII was on PC shortly after PS, and now on steam, iOS, I think a 3DS game as well?

So weird seeing clashing anger against it from two different sides. There's good reasons he was picked and I think they did a solid job on the models and even seeing some new art from the FFVII artist to celebrate.
I mean... don't you think it should have been a character from one of the Final Fantasy games that was actually originally released for a Nintendo system? Cecil or Terra maybe?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
The Material Sheep said:
Snotnarok said:

I mean... don't you think it should have been a character from one of the Final Fantasy games that was actually originally released for a Nintendo system? Cecil or Terra maybe?
Money wise? No. Cloud is more well known than the entire cast of FF6 combined by the general public, slap an image of him up and people will know him vs just the sprite representations of the cast of FF6. I'm not saying VII is better nor is Cloud but he's by far more well known and popular, starring in 3 games a feature length movie and cameos in several other games it's not a surprise. So sure, Terra would get some of the Nintendo fans happy or they can get the game that many people say got the US into jRPGs who's been cross platform only few years after 6. So, yeah I'm sure this was the best business decision especially since Cloud is now big news again with a massive AAA remake of his game while FF6 got ...the most ...awful, awful remaster ever.

Besides, Cecil & Terra were also on Sony's platforms, the PSP & PS1 as well as iOS so aren't they traitors? IDK I really don't see what platform has to do with this. They went with what will sell more, hate FFVII all ya want (not saying you) but Cloud will sell the best in terms of FF characters.

But to touch on Platform bias? What does Nintendo-platform have to do with anything? Sonic, Snake, Ryu, Pac Man, Bayonetta were all on other platforms prior to hitting a Nintendo console. This is something they should be doing MORE of because it will make those who aren't into Nintendo's stuff as much gain interest, instead of excluding characters on lame bias as "You're not in the club"