CNN Insider admits hyping death toll of Covid to drive ratings.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Right now it seems Twitter is blowing up with something called Project Veritas, in which CNN is getting exposed as a propaganda network. On top of the Covid overhyping, this guy admits that the goal for the network was the ruin Trump for the entire Presidency, even some shady shit with that Matt Gaetz scandel. I've only begun to see this stuff and notice it, but I wonder if it comes as a surprise that CNN has been little more than lying bullshit artists for ratings.

And you have to wonder why there isn't some sort of regulation with news outlets in which facts are required to be truthful and honest. People go to the news for advice during hard times like pandemics and natural disasters and all sorts of shit. If the news can feed you dogshit, then shouldn't they news be held accountable for misleading people into actions that can be actively harmful to their livelihood?

These things can ruin people, and if you want to advertise yourself as a news opinions network, then fine. There should be some disclosure that this network relays news in an opinionated fashion and may not be 100% accurate. While at the same time, having news networks that strictly report facts with no leaning bias one way or the other. That's why newspapers used to have Opt-Ed sections for pieces that featured opinions.

Majestic_Manatee

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2017
Country
Wales
Project Veritas.

Project Veri. Tas.

"Project Veritas is an American far-right[37] activist group founded by James O'Keefe in 2010.[41] The group produces deceptively edited videos[24] of its undercover operations,[16] which use secret recordings[17] to allege misconduct and corruption in mainstream media organizations and progressive groups.[49] Project Veritas uses entrapment[23] to generate bad publicity for its targets,[2] and has propagated disinformation[14] and conspiracy theories[56] in its videos and operations.

Targets of Project Veritas include Planned Parenthood, the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN), NPR, CNN, and The Washington Post. In 2009, Project Veritas associates published misleading[2] videos that depicted ACORN employees providing advice on concealing illegal activity, causing ACORN to shut down after losing funding;[5] ACORN was cleared of wrongdoing by the Attorney General of California in 2010,[2] and the associates paid a total of $150,000 in settlements to an ACORN employee who sued for defamation.[2] NPR CEO Vivian Schiller resigned in 2013 after Project Veritas released a deceptively[2][5] edited video portraying another NPR executive making controversial comments about the Tea Party movement and NPR's federal funding.[57] Project Veritas unsuccessfully attempted to mislead The Washington Post into publishing false information about the Roy Moore sexual misconduct allegations in 2017;[4][49] the Post won a Pulitzer Prize after uncovering the operation.[18][58]

As a non-governmental organization, Project Veritas is financed by conservative fund Donors Trust[2] (which provided over $6.6 million from 2011 to 2019)[49][59][60] and other supporters including the Donald J. Trump Foundation.[6] In 2020, The New York Times published an exposé detailing Project Veritas' use of spies recruited by Erik Prince, to infiltrate "Democratic congressional campaigns, labor organizations and other groups considered hostile to the Trump agenda". The Times piece notes O'Keefe's and Prince's close links to the Trump administration, and details contributions such as a $1 million transfer of funds from an undisclosed source to support their work. The findings were based in part on discovery documents in a case brought by the American Federation of Teachers, Michigan, which had been infiltrated by Project Veritas.[61]"

Come on now.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Project Veritas.

Project Veri. Tas.

"Project Veritas is an American far-right[37] activist group founded by James O'Keefe in 2010.[41] The group produces deceptively edited videos[24] of its undercover operations,[16] which use secret recordings[17] to allege misconduct and corruption in mainstream media organizations and progressive groups.[49] Project Veritas uses entrapment[23] to generate bad publicity for its targets,[2] and has propagated disinformation[14] and conspiracy theories[56] in its videos and operations."

Come on now.
I didn't know about that. I've just been seeing all these articles popping up. I dunno how you dismiss the videos though. Even if they are heavily clipped for the relevant statements, it doesn't look good does it.

And my original point about a "just the facts" news network still stands. Opinionated new outlets should clearly state that they are opinionated and offer interpretations of facts not just the raw facts. But all of those networks all claim that they are offering the "truth" which is a flat out lie.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
And you have to wonder why there isn't some sort of regulation with news outlets in which facts are required to be truthful and honest. People go to the news for advice during hard times like pandemics and natural disasters and all sorts of shit. If the news can feed you dogshit, then shouldn't they news be held accountable for misleading people into actions that can be actively harmful to their livelihood?
I've no strong opinion or anything substantive to add to this discussion, but please, tell me you weren't a Trump supporter, because the irony here would be about 9 miles deep.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Remember when Project Veritas "proved" ACORN engaged in illegal activities and Planned Parenthood sold baby parts? Pepperridge Farm remembers.

Here's a protip: When convicted criminal James O'Keefe claims something, the opposite is almost guaranteed to be true.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I didn't know about that. I've just been seeing all these articles popping up. I dunno how you dismiss the videos though. Even if they are heavily clipped for the relevant statements, it doesn't look good does it.
Personally, I think the video shows a shrewd studio executive who knows how to get ratings. That's not to say I agree with what he does, but he didn't admit, even on video presumably taken surreptitiously, to lying about or misleading with anything. He never said they inflated the numbers to incite fear and paranoia; he simply admitted that he knows what gets ratings; if it's ugly truths, well, that says more about the viewership than the ones offering the programming. Not saying you have to like it, I don't either, but not liking something doesn't make it wrong or misleading. 400,000 dead is a big, shocking and horrifying number; if they choose to have it on screen more often than other news outlets purely for ratings doesn't make it any less true.

Reactions: tstorm823

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I've no strong opinion or anything substantive to add to this discussion, but please, tell me you weren't a Trump supporter, because the irony here would be about 9 miles deep.
I actually don't support any political party in that way.

I thought Trump was the better choice over Hillary, but I would have rather seen Bernie win if given the choice.

I do think that Trump was treated unfairly, and people based opinions on him off nonsense and lies for a lot of it.

And i think Trump was the better choice over Biden 100%. As the boarder crisis and hypocritical nonsense is crazy bad right now.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Personally, I think the video shows a shrewd studio executive who knows how to get ratings. That's not to say I agree with what he does, but he didn't admit, even on video presumably taken surreptitiously, to lying about or misleading with anything. He never said they inflated the numbers to incite fear and paranoia; he simply admitted that he knows what gets ratings; if it's ugly truths, well, that says more about the viewership than the ones offering the programming. Not saying you have to like it, I don't either, but not liking something doesn't make it wrong or misleading. 400,000 dead is a big, shocking and horrifying number; if they choose to have it on screen more often than other news outlets purely for ratings doesn't make it any less true.
Yeah all that maybe true. And i don't fault a network for getting ratings. I object to them getting ratings off of skewing truths. I mean CNN has been fairly known for being full of shit a lot of the time.

And when any network that is supposed to be focused on NEWS, is shown to be fucking shit up for "ratings" then I think the FCC should step in and force them to disclose the bias. I'm fine with Bias, but when talking about information that affects people's lifes, then I don't think it unreasonable that such bias should be disclosed.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Both sides spoon feed bullshit that their audience wants to hear. No matter if you watch CNN or FOX for covid news, you're getting bullshit. I find it pretty funny when the people say you can't trust mainstream media saying FOX is telling it like it is, they're both mainstream media. Also, Gateway Pundit is a really shit news source, they hardly even write articles and mainly just post "headlines".

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Could you just quote the specific lie that's been claimed to be told here?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I find it pretty funny when the people say you can't trust mainstream media saying FOX is telling it like it is, they're both mainstream media.
I find it funny everytime FOX selfboasts about that. I just roll my eyes and move on.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I dunno who here thinks CNN isn't somehow deceptive. If any-one is here I have a bridge to sell you.

Seriously remember when CNN claimed reading Wiki Leaks was illegal unless you were a member of the press?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I actually don't support any political party in that way.

I thought Trump was the better choice over Hillary, but I would have rather seen Bernie win if given the choice.

I do think that Trump was treated unfairly, and people based opinions on him off nonsense and lies for a lot of it.

And i think Trump was the better choice over Biden 100%. As the boarder crisis and hypocritical nonsense is crazy bad right now.
Where was the concern for truthfulness then? Is the standard supposed to be higher for media outlets than for the government?

OT: He doesn't say anything particularly shocking or unexpected; no admission of lying, no falsehood or actual deception. He spoke about the cross-the-board media treatment of sensationalism, which is common knowledge, and said CNN partakes in it, which is also common knowledge. Project Veritas have manipulated it as they tend to do, because they're crooks.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Seriously remember when CNN claimed reading Wiki Leaks was illegal unless you were a member of the press?
There are certain legal protections afforded to journalists who receive leaks of confidential and high classified data that is within the public interest as opposed to Joe Public reading them for shits and giggles. Saying it’s illegal is probably overselling it, but there are ramifications if an uncleared person without a legitimate need to know reads documents like that, leaked or otherwise.

Anyway, CNN sound like they’re engaging in some sensationalist, Damien Day-esque editing and presentation. So some independent body of ethics had best give them a slap across the chops and tell them to do better.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Where was the concern for truthfulness then? Us the standard supposed to be higher for media outlets than for the government?

OT: He doesn't say anything particularly shocking or unexpected; no admission of lying, no falsehood or actual deception. He spoke about the cross-the-board media treatment of sensationalism, which is common knowledge, and said CNN partakes in it, which is also common knowledge. Project Veritas have manipulated it as they tend to do, because they're crooks.
I had never even heard of PV before this, so i didn't know. I knew CNN was a dumbass channel, I remember the clip of the report in front of a burning building going "Mostly peaceful protests." Which I thought was fucking hilarious.

This Project Veritas seems to be a shady sack of shit and that's whatever. It really wasn't the core of the discussion that came to my mind.

It really is a shame that everything has become so political that you can't even count on fact-giving reports to be accurate anymore. And how it can continue down this path is mind boggling to be. Then again, I feel like the world has slowly gone crazy around me and it's starting to make me hate even getting up in the morning.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Because misrepresentation, setups, quote-mining and deceptive editing for the explicit purpose of politically motivated character assassination is precisely what PV is [in]famous for?

Let me just repaste an old comment here, back from when O'Keefe was claiming that the USPS was going to go on record and claim that Pennsylvania was backdating ballots to cheat Trump out of the election:

Says professional liar James O'Keefe, founder of Project Veritas, whom you might recall as being infamous for deceptive editing and misrepresentation, as perhaps most famously shown in their ACORN slander. Their entire modus operandi is to make false claims 'supported' by manipulated media to create a fraudulent basis for criminal investigation into organizations they don't like. Coincidentally - I'm sure - Trump is a prominent donor, which I'm sure has nothing to do with how in 2017 Project Veritas operative Allison Maass was filmed attempting to bribe members of Americans Take Action into inciting a riot at Trump's inauguration.

And in case that last bit confuses you, let's take a look at how they do business. In 2017 they tried to trick the Washington Post into publishing a fake sexual harrassment story so they could spin it as "liberal bias" against Alabama Senator Roy Moore. In 2010, O'Keefe tried to trick CNN journalist Abbie Boudreau onto a boat filled with sexually explicit props for the sake of filming her in a compromising situation so as to undermine her credibility (Bourdreau having then been working on a documentary about young conservative activists). In 2014, he tried to bait Democratic Field Staffers in Colorado into endorsing voter fraud. That same year, he submitted a video apparently showing Josh Fox accepting funds from Middle East oil interests for an anti-fracking movie. Unbeknownst to O'Keefe, Fox had been suspicious and recorded the full conversations which revealed that he'd done nothing of the sort and that O'Keefe created the impression to the contrary through deceptive editing. But the REAL fun one was his spectacular 2016 failure to try and infiltrate the Open Society Foundation to make embarrassing videos about them...only he inadvertently revealed his hand when - I shit you not - he forgot to hang up the phone and started discussing his intentions in earshot.

And you're taking this guy at his word?
O'Keefe and Project Veritas have built their entire identities around bearing false witness for the sake of manipulating public opinion against organizations they don't like for personal and political reasons. Not only should they not be considered credible sources of information, seeing them champion a story should set off alarm bells based on their history of deliberately pushing disinformation. Point of fact, they're probably among the best examples of an actual "fake news" organization that you're likely to find.