Codemasters Drops Archlord

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Codemasters Drops Archlord

Codemasters has dropped the free-to-play MMOG Archlord from its roster but the game isn't going under just yet: A Korean publisher has moved in to take the reins.

Archlord launched in 2005 but suffered from poor reviews and failed to catch fire with gamers. A move to free-to-play operation in August 2007 reportedly doubled the player base, but it was never able to move beyond its status as a mid-level fringe MMOG and Codemasters has finally decided to wash its hands of the whole thing, opting not to renew its contract to operate the game in North America and Europe.

Fortunately for those who play it, however, Archlord will continue to operate under the auspices of Korean publisher Webzen, which has made a deal to run the game in those territories. According to the Archlord Transition FAQ [http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376605], Codemasters will pull the plug on October 2 and Webzen will have its service up and running on October 3. Character and game server data will be transferred from Codemasters to Webzen, with each player receiving a "transition key" to help ensure a smooth transfer between publishers.

Unspent credits will not be transferred, however, so players are advised to spend 'em if they got 'em; Codemasters is offering a 50 percent discount on all items for the remainder of its tenure with the game as a "thank you" to its players. More information about the change-over and how it will affects players and their accounts can be found at the Webzen Western Archlord site at archlord.webzen.com [http://archlord.webzen.net/].

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/codemasters-drops-archlord-mmo]

rawlsku

Jan 4, 2009
Yep, the public beta was pretty horrible. I'm surprised that the game didn't collapse sooner.

Turtleboy1017

Likes Turtles
Nov 16, 2008
I'm sorry, what the hell is Archlord? I've honestly never heard of it. The screenshot looks pretty cool, but guess it just failed to deliver.

But on a separate note, the free to play MMORPG Silkroad was hella fun!

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Archlord? Never even heard of it. I suppose it must not have been that awesome.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Codemasters are the same people that made Overlord...OverLORD....ArchLORD. OH I GET IT.

I just watched some gameplay footage. Didn't look as good as that picture in the article makes it out to be. (Who doesn't want to ride a rhino?)

lasherman

Mar 11, 2009
I played it for a little while, it was really mediocre. Probably only fun if you actually WERE the Archlord. There was one player in each server who was the Archlord, who could summon minions, and dragons, and change the weather, send messages to all players, and a bunch of cool stuff.

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
lasherman said:
I played it for a little while, it was really mediocre. Probably only fun if you actually WERE the Archlord. There was one player in each server who was the Archlord, who could summon minions, and dragons, and change the weather, send messages to all players, and a bunch of cool stuff.
So they made a fantasy game where you play an npc for the protagonist who is off somewhere. Sounds dull.