Codemasters Launches Jumpgate Evolution Lawsuit

aldowyn

Mar 1, 2010
Before you guys start getting into an argument, let's just say EVE is unique. It's not for everyone, including me, but it's incredibly ambitious and you can do things in it unlike ANYTHING else, period.

Back on-topic: NOOOO! I was really looking forward to JGE - massive online twitch-based space battles! How much more awesome can you get?!? Haven't had a decent space sim for years... And EVE does NOT count here, as that is just entirely different.

LostProxy

Dec 4, 2009
I would say the closest thing in recent memory was Freelancer. The online was pretty fun if you found the right server. Made a fair amount of cash with a freighter and a couple of buddies running interference when pirates became a problem. Damn fun game.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
Has anyone else noticed Codemasters trying to sound like one of the big boys by suing everyone and being pricks?
You do realise that Codemasters is one of the smaller UK developers, and not very well known at all, and thus literally cannot afford to spend money on projects like this only to have said projects not deliver anything at all (not even a playable demo :p)? I'm a UK guy looking to get into the industry when I leave university, and Codemasters is one of the firms I'll be applying to. In this case I fully support them. Wouldn't you be pissed if you bought a DVD or something on Amazon, then wait months and months for it to arrive only to have nothing come at all? Wouldn't you be seeking answers and wanting your money back? Plus damages, of course. Codemasters aren't tying to 'play with the big boys' here. They're not 'being pricks'. They are completely justified in what they're doing, and are right to do so.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
LostProxy said:
RobCoxxy said:
LostProxy said:
RobCoxxy said:
There's one called EVE and it's awesome.
Thats a matter of opinion. I hate WoW but I would still rather play that then EVE. Not only is the learning curve intense, the death penalties extreme, and the skill system bloated it's also pretty much like every other MMO out there except being not as newb friendly and and forcing me into READING A BOOK because it takes so long to get to some places.
Lose a ship? If you've done about three missions, you can buy a new one. The learning curve is difficult, yes. But that makes it far more rewarding. :p

And you say it as if reading is a bad thing? I just watch a TV show or something if I have crazy distances to cover lol
3 missions? Please tell me which missions you were doing to make billions of isk so quickly. See thats the thing, I could see the learning cure being so much less if they removed a lot of skills that could have been summed up into 2 or three. My main complaint is just how ridiculous the skill system can get compared to other MMOs or something more related to it like a tabletop RPG.

My point is I shouldn't have to read a book while playing a game. You're right though, reading is great. In fact if you like sci fi I just got through The Windup Girl and I loved it. It starts slow but IMO really picks up somewhere in the middle but the slow beginning is only because they try to get you to understand the atmosphere of a much different world.
Running missions in my battleship generally nets me ~15 or so million ISK, which means I can replace my ship after about 6 missions, as long as my ship was insured(and assuming I don't have any of my really fancy gear on it). And as I recall, running level 1 missions generally net about 30k isk or so (or so I think... it's been VERY long since I did a level 1 mission), so you should be able to replace a frigate after 6 or 7 missions, and level ones tend to go a good bit faster than level 4s, as well. So I'd say three is a little low, but not too far off the mark.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Yeah, I was looking forward to it. And wondered where it went.

How hard is it to make and MMO space sim, with pravateer style space combat and ship progression, stuff you can collect, auction houses you can sell it at and trade equipment among players, pirates that can steal it from you, mercenaries you can hire, quests you can accept, then thow in an interesting angle with the discovery of an alien artifact, and some NPC factions you can battle against for coop boss fights, then a few interesting planets where you can hang out finding contracts and some down time.

C'mon. Who wouldn't like that?

AngryFrenchCanadian

Dec 4, 2008
Ladies, ladies, let's not get into an EVE ONLINE debate, shall we? It's really a matter of taste. I don't think arguing over this is going to change anything.

On topic, I was wondering why they didn't get into beta stage yet. I guess it was simply vaporware.