Cola Consumption Causes Muscle Problems, Say Doctors

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Mstrswrd said:
I drink Sprite (and 7-Up, and Sierra Mist), which has some different ingrediants from Cola's, so I think I'm safe. Caffiene free Dr. Pepper is safe as well (and it even tastes liek Dr. Pepper, inlike diet Dr.Pepper, which just tastes odd).
It's actually the cocktail of high sugar, carbon dioxide, and caffeine that cause the problems. So while caffeine free soda is better, it's still not great.

Also, Dr. Pepper is caffeine free, there's no special caffeine free version.

spuddyt

Nov 22, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
cola junkies can suffer from a range of symptoms that "can range from mild weakness to profound paralysis".
Cola junkies don't exactly tend to be the greatest excersisers either though do they?

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
MrSunshine said:
two to nine litres of cola a day
How would it even be possible for a person to drink nine litres of cola a day? I would have thought it would be dificult to consume nine litres of water in a day, simply because...well why the hell would you be consuming that much liquid (unless you were excercising a lot or somewhere hot). Nine litres of coke?!

Madness.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Mstrswrd said:
I drink Sprite (and 7-Up, and Sierra Mist), which has some different ingrediants from Cola's, so I think I'm safe. Caffiene free Dr. Pepper is safe as well (and it even tastes liek Dr. Pepper, inlike diet Dr.Pepper, which just tastes odd).
It's actually the cocktail of high sugar, carbon dioxide, and caffeine that cause the problems. So while caffeine free soda is better, it's still not great.

Yes there is. I'm staring at a golden "Caffeine free" version of the can right now. Now, real Dr.Pepper, I understand, has no ceffiene, but the mass-produced version, I believe, does. That, or they're scaming people by actually having a version that specifically says it. Also, damn, I'll have to go back to Diet soda's again. Or just drink Seltzer (Soda-Water, for people who call it Soda-water), like I usually do.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
asinann said:
Guess I should stop drinking the half case a day then.
Ollie596 said:
Wish I had a camel like that.......wished I had a camel :(
I have a whole carton of them. Sweet sweet cancer.
I have Malboro red :)

And I should really give up drinks like Coke, there have been days where I have dusted off at least 2 litres of it.
Maybe I should just stick to good old H2O.

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Negative Klutz. Dr. Pepper has more caffeine than Coke.
http://www.energyfiend.com/the-caffeine-database

Also, I wish these articles would clarify on "cola". Is it the actual cola flavor, or are they talking all soft drinks? Is it the cola, the caffeine, the high-fructose corn syrup, or the carbonation?

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
T said:
MrSunshine said:
two to nine litres of cola a day
How would it even be possible for a person to drink nine litres of cola a day? I would have thought it would be dificult to consume nine litres of water in a day, simply because...well why the hell would you be consuming that much liquid (unless you were excercising a lot or somewhere hot). Nine litres of coke?!

Madness.
I agree it is madness. But caffeine is a diuretic. So it makes you pee, which makes you more thirsty, which makes you drink more cola. This is exactly what soft drinks have been designed to do: make you buy more. Evil corporations FTW.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Ah crap, I'll have to start mashing up bananas with my potatoes now. I used to be a coke fiend *sniff*, however I'm off the sauce now and happily drink water like a fish.
Huzzah.

Interesting article though.

Yoshi_egg80

Apr 1, 2009
Wow *unfazed* not like gamers are known for out arm-wrestling the football players. *sips cola* the sooner you accept everything is bad for you in excess the better. Even seen reports like this that drinking to much water is bad....WATER, H2O, my god I'm totally screwed I'm 70% water good bye guys it's been real.

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
T said:
SPAAAAARTAAAAA!!!

sorry

This is good, now I can blame cola for my puny physique instead of my poor diet and lack of upper body exercise.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
MrSunshine said:
The key word (which is found throughout the source article, while being entirely absent here) being "excessive", as in "excessive cola consumption". Specifically: "The case studies looked at patients whose consumption ranged from two to nine litres of cola a day."

Almost anything is going to be bad for you when taken in excess... it's more or less what the word means.
9 litres a day? I don't have that amount of drinks a day, let alone 9 litres of cola. Is it even possible to drink that much in 24 hours?

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
Cookies to the doctors. They should be praised for finding out that - gasp! - junk food and drink are bad for the body.

Although, I must say that not everybody could have found out the particulars.

Still, Cola is nothing compared to some of the drinks out there.
Take Redline Energy Drink for example. Drink two of them at once and you die.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009

And I just this second cracked open my fourth can of the day.
Ula said:
The only cold drinks I'll have are water and Cola.
You think that's bad? I live off the brown stuff.
No, really.

Earnest Cavalli said:
Once potassium levels in the blood drop too low the heart simply seizes up, often leaving those afflicted with a severe case of death.
Best line I've read in a week. Much love, or something.